Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duals

I am running open headers right now and I LOVE the sound at idle, but when I start going it is too loud and no backpressure, I want to make an exhaust that will be loud as hell at idle, and want it to end before my axle. It can be true duals, and I will custom make it, any ideas?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get dual dump outs, but get some mufflers to help with that back pressure.. There are a few kits that are available at a few of our sponsors stores..
Old 06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

... You could probably also just pick and choose a setup and piece it together on summitracing.com. If you have a local exhaust guy that you trust, have him get it up in the air and ask him what your options might be.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Get duals with bullets....they sound mean. Don't make the same mistake I did. I just put duals on my car with magnaflow 4x9s and the car is quiet as hell
Old 06-20-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

i've got duals for sale with 500 miles on them. $150 plus shipping. much better than open headers!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
Get duals with bullets....they sound mean. Don't make the same mistake I did. I just put duals on my car with magnaflow 4x9s and the car is quiet as hell
you must not have a cam then? mine sure is loud still..
Old 06-20-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

i agree.... i LOVE my magnaflow 4x9 muffled duals.

it's deep and agressive, and screams at WOT...but with minimal to no rasp.

i find myself much more comfortable going WOT around town.

and cruising at 80mph is no problem for interior noise...no drone to speak of.

and that's WITH a cam
Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

sound clips? and were do you buy them? i got the sweets and man o man its so fricken loud i cant hear myself think but but everyone i know loves the way it sounds, very hard decision
Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil141
I am running open headers right now and I LOVE the sound at idle, but when I start going it is too loud and no backpressure, I want to make an exhaust that will be loud as hell at idle, and want it to end before my axle. It can be true duals, and I will custom make it, any ideas?
get something that matches your collector's , I recomend a dual X or H pipe after, with good flowing muff's. I have a TXP rumbler X : paceseters race ceramic long tubes, all 3" X pipe and sweet thunders (2/12 inner dia.) dumped at the 10 bolt (waiting for 9' ) and once you get past 2 grand it get's noisy. Sounds evil at idle even without cam, after 2 grand sounds like a NASCAR. Can't run open header, unless track only, it's not good, valves float and burn, you always need back pressure. These cars need air in and out though! Open the exhaust and anything you feed it will conform . Myself installed exhaust and all you need is to drill muff. mounting brackets through rear seat firewall and some band clamps whitch come with install package
Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01Wickedwench
get something that matches your collector's , I recomend a dual X or H pipe after, with good flowing muff's. I have a TXP rumbler X : paceseters race ceramic long tubes, all 3" X pipe and sweet thunders (2/12 inner dia.) dumped at the 10 bolt (waiting for 9' ) and once you get past 2 grand it get's noisy. Sounds evil at idle even without cam, after 2 grand sounds like a NASCAR. Can't run open header, unless track only, it's not good, valves float and burn, you always need back pressure. These cars need air in and out though! Open the exhaust and anything you feed it will conform . Myself installed exhaust and all you need is to drill muff. mounting brackets through rear seat firewall and some band clamps whitch come with install package

Sounds like what I was gunna do, I was going to make a 2.5" x pipe exhaust with some bullets and dump it at the 12 bolt with downs/outs.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

im just goin to have a custom 3" H-pipe made for me w/ no muffs, strickly for sound and $. No sense in $100-150 for bullets that dont do much, and i want it loud anyways....
Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
you must not have a cam then? mine sure is loud still..
Nope, just a bolt on car.... Actually back when I made that original post I had only had the duals on for a few days. After driving them around a little and ripping on the car a little bit, they definitely do scream pretty good. Maybe I was just used to my old ORY/Borla setup which was really loud at WOT. A few other people commented me on how they are pretty loud and sound very nice.