Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA + Lid + PTB = HUGE SOTP gains!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a lid, FTRA and gran. MAF and i have to say, i agree with his assesment of second gear being much stronger. i also have a GU2 car and getting off the line feels like i'm rolling down a hill - but second gear sucks my eyes into the back of my head! i never really would have believed it unless i felt it myself. all exaggeration aside tho, the difference is very noticalbe. i also got an unexpected bonus, the car's exhaust note (totaly stock system) dropped an octave or two . i've had a few people tell me that it sounded like my old LT1 w/ a catback...i don't know if it sounds THAT good, but it's a serious improvement
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The butt dyno is the worst dyno out there. I just did full exhaust on my car and I couldn't tell a bit of difference, although I know there has to be some positive gains.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just did full exhaust and ls6 intake at once and i noticed a big difference in TQ and pulling power.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Hey Choco I know you're very avid in the Automatic Section, would the FTRA have a negative effect on a tranny cooler? Aren't they located in a similar area?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Do a search for 'dope style.' That is another way to mount the tranny cooler.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alt
Hey Choco I know you're very avid in the Automatic Section, would the FTRA have a negative effect on a tranny cooler? Aren't they located in a similar area?
if it's blocking the tranny cooler it would definitely limit the efficiency of the tranny cooler. if you already have the FTRA installed on your car and you mount the tranny cooler in a spot that the FTRA doesn't block it, then you won't have an issue.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

I don't know if I have the FTRA installed on the car already, but there is a cut in the airbox where one would go. Does it look any different with the filter off looking into the air box or do I just have a hole in my airbox? (Purchased the vehicle that way)
Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Alt
I don't know if I have the FTRA installed on the car already, but there is a cut in the airbox where one would go. Does it look any different with the filter off looking into the air box or do I just have a hole in my airbox? (Purchased the vehicle that way)
it's probably just the "free ram air" mod, or what should be better known as "the hole in the airbox for some reason" mod. i'm not a fan of the "free ram air" mod because i'm a strong believer in the phrase "you get what you pay for." guess the type of quality you get for free? you get crap. i feel if you're going to cut up your airbox, get a nice, prefabricated, stainless, lightweight kit with a nice big scoop track proven to reduce ET's and even raise fuel economy in most cases.

in order to see if you have a FTRA, you have to stick your head under the nose of the car. you know the plastic air deflector that hangs below the nose of our car? that big piece of plastic that constantly scrapes over bumps and curbs? if you have the FTRA system, it will have a steel scoop a foot or two before that bolted right in front of the radiator.

it looks like this:

it's the image on the lower right.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Choco, whenever someone asks you a question, you respond promptly and with visual aids if needed. You explain everything so even the most car illiterate can understand what to look for and do. I commend you sir, thank you for your answer. I'm sure we'll cross paths in the Automatic section and I will take great consideration into your opinions. You seem to be quite an asset to the board for technical information. I'll go check out the car in a minute.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Well gents I'll be heading to the track Wednesday to test my 30 hp theory. My previous best is a 13.49 @ 104.67 w/ a 2.17 60'. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Alt
Choco, whenever someone asks you a question, you respond promptly and with visual aids if needed. You explain everything so even the most car illiterate can understand what to look for and do. I commend you sir, thank you for your answer. I'm sure we'll cross paths in the Automatic section and I will take great consideration into your opinions. You seem to be quite an asset to the board for technical information. I'll go check out the car in a minute.
lol i think you're giving me way too much credit that being said, thanks a lot for the compliments. i'm not the most car savvy member on tech for sure, and i know when i learn something new, i like to try and have it explained to me in the simplest ways possible. i try and extend that courtesy to you guys. attention to detail is key when working with cars, and i like to have all the bases covered.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Right now, the FTRA is on sale for 152.99. Just put "LS1TECH Deal" In the comments section of your online order and we will adjust the pricing.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

I did all those mods at different times. Don't know if it was a SOTP gain though. I noticed the lid made the engine sound cooler, that sucking sound. The FTRA I really believe helped on the highway. And all of them increased throttle response. I think that was the biggest gain.

The FTRA is one of those mods I forget that I have, you can't see it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Well guys, no new times to report yet. My TB porter forgot to swap the throttle shaft on my TB to a 00-02 one, so the throttle was only opening about 85%. Even so, the car ran the exact same as before the mods. I've got the TB squared away now so I'll try again next Wednesday.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

ahhh yes its about time for another FTRA war
Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually agree with taco on this one...definitely works...i have a custom intake that is about 2.5 times the size of the FTRA and it added me about 10 more rwhp over the FTRA...the design works...

Quick Reply: FTRA + Lid + PTB = HUGE SOTP gains!!