Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've come to Loathe my Jet-Hot Y

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I've come to Loathe my Jet-Hot Y

Although it is my 1st y-pipe with longtubes...This thing sucks big time.

I have very little ground clearance on stock springs. And the only cool part about it (the interchangeable cats and straight pipes) NEVER STOP LEAKING. Can anyone suggest a ypipe that will fit these headers but perhaps... Not leak? I do enjoy the ability to go from cats to no cats and back. But the ground clearance and noise is near untolerable.

Or, anyone with this setup figure out how to seal it up? Or anyone have it fit well? I'll post up a picture. But with stock springs I hardly have 3-4 inches of clearance. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Jet Hot LTs and the same y as yours. My car is lowered and ground clearance is not a problem.

The way I sealed mine up is by first wrapping the joint with aluminum tape, then using band clamps (Torc-tite, preformed). I do not use u-clamps, those leak.

Its worked for 2 years, but I don't swap in/out the cats. I left them out and liked it that way.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since when does the Jet Hott Y have interchangeble cats/strait pipes?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i took out the inner cats and replaced them with real cats for visual emissions test used 3 inch band clamps has worked for over two years no leaks have had no problems with ground clearance i used to have slp headers now theres a ground clearance problem
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took that POS and put in TSP catted Y and its the best replacement hands downs for the JH LTs!!! No more leaks!!!

I don't know why I waited either.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The jet hot y-pipe is a piece of crap. Mine actually broke in half. Find someone to make you a custom y. Most of my rasp went away when I did this. The exhaust sounds a LOT better.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

The Jet Hot Y pipe is substandard for sure. I'll be happy when the Mufflex is back on the car and my Jet Hot is off of the car. It's better than nothing but not by much.

I have aboutr 3.5 inch of clearance. The only part that catchs is the clamp. Never fails. Only suggestion I have is make sure the bolts for the clamp are tucked up as best as possible.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys.

I don't have my camera with me but I'll post up something just to show you guys.

I'll have to try the aluminum tape wrap. I tried cutting up an arizona tea can and wrapping it but it didn't last long. I've been considering the TSP catted or ORY pipes they make. Any fitment issues with jet hots?

My local exhaust guy told me that he would charge "more than I'd like to pay" for him to fab me up a Y. I've also wondered if the more expensive (kooks or qtp) y's would mate up to my jethots.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have jet hot LT's & jet hot Y with cats. cats are like coke cans INSIDE Y . my guy installed and welded my pipe so i would NOT pass a visual. my clearance is fine (i think) both my SLP driveshaft safety loop and my aluminum trans pan sit lower than exhaust. just my 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My y pipe was fine, i took a jack and forces the Y to go up a little and tighted down the band clamps. Worked fine and sounds great.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
My y pipe was fine, i took a jack and forces the Y to go up a little and tighted down the band clamps. Worked fine and sounds great.
Same here, I used a block of wood and a floor jack and put a little pressure on the Y pipe and tightened all the band clamps. I also used aluminum foil and wrapped all the joints before hand and zero leaks. I was very pleased with the fit and the ground clearance was far better than any other Y pipe I have seen. I would go so far as to say no other Y pipe could possibly offer more ground clearance than Jet hot. My trans pan also was lower than any point of the Jet hot Y pipe and the car was lowered with the pro kit.

I think it being a multi piece pipe you guys just bolt it up and expect it to fall into place and fit perfectly. Any multi piece pipe needs to be fitted before the clamps are tightened. This ability to tweak the fitment enables you to tailor it to your car and gain max clearance while at the same time making clearance where is needed.

Here are a few pics of my car with the Jet hop Y and LT's. As you can see from one photo, I didnt need the clearanced Spohn front torque arm crossmember.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
I think it being a multi piece pipe you guys just bolt it up and expect it to fall into place and fit perfectly. Any multi piece pipe needs to be fitted before the clamps are tightened. This ability to tweak the fitment enables you to tailor it to your car and gain max clearance while at the same time making clearance where is needed.
Well said, I couldn't agree more.

When I first attempted to "throw" it on, I learned that paying attention to detail enabled it to fit snugly and securely. It just took more time initially to get it perfect.