Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to purchase for LT install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question What do I need to purchase for LT install?

Hey guys, It won't be long and my sponser will be installing some LT's and ORY on my car. He's supplying the LT's, ORY, and Labor... but what should I purchase while he's up in there installing these? i.e. gaskets, plugs, fittings, sensors, extensions, etc...

Just as a note, I have a '99 with EGR and AIR... these LT's and ORY will not have provisions for that. I believe I might be getting an intake manifold and throttle body out of the sponsership too, but i'm not totally sure on those yet... if so, the intake manifold will not have EGR provisions either...

so if I get LT's, ORY, IM, and TB... all without the EGR and AIR provisions, then I don't need to buy any plugs/block off plates correct? I can just get rid of all that crap? no problems?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-01-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the gm metal gaskets and their still in good shape you can reuse them otherwise go get another set....

o2 extensions are needed....two....

theres not much else if your just doing headers....
Old 07-01-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by staringback05
if you have the gm metal gaskets and their still in good shape you can reuse them otherwise go get another set....

o2 extensions are needed....two....

theres not much else if your just doing headers....
will i still need the extensions if i'm deleting the rear O2's?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes you need the extensions for the front o2s....
Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You definitly need 02 extensions & the GM MLS gaskets.
You may want to also think about the Stage 8 locking header bolts.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the Bosch 13111 if I was you. I was still throwing a code with the camaro sensors and the extensions. If you get those, you will not need extensions. If you have an ORY the air pump is dead weights and does nothing. So I would remove that and get the headers with out the provisions. Also, I would get new plugs, you have to remove the old ones, so might as well put new ones in. Reuse gaskets if in good shape. You will throw a code deleting the cats, but you can get that tuned out. You will not need a full tune, but will benefit from one, so I would wait until you do more to the car.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:49 AM

I agree on the STG8 bolts. Might as well use those when putting in your new headers. Nothing much else on top of what has been mentioned in this thread. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by H21surfer
I would get the Bosch 13111 if I was you. I was still throwing a code with the camaro sensors and the extensions. If you get those, you will not need extensions. If you have an ORY the air pump is dead weights and does nothing. So I would remove that and get the headers with out the provisions. Also, I would get new plugs, you have to remove the old ones, so might as well put new ones in. Reuse gaskets if in good shape. You will throw a code deleting the cats, but you can get that tuned out. You will not need a full tune, but will benefit from one, so I would wait until you do more to the car.
would this be the one i need then?

Ebay Item Number: 200116329495

EDIT: I would need two of those right? if i got those I wouldn't need extensions?

Also, do you guys think i'd benefit from instally poly motor mounts while in there... for the banging y-pipe issues?

EDIT #2: I could just pick this up right?
proformancemotorsports.com/camaro/exhausts/Headers-Install-Kit-98-03.html

Last edited by Soul TKR; 07-01-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone should be really sweet and make a total what do I need for LT install thread and get it stickied.

Maybe when I get mine on, i'll do that and a how too.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

oh yea... something else I just thought of...

back to the O2 sensors... I have an autometer A/F guage... I've heard I can hook up a wideband O2 sensor to it, would this take place of the front O2's? or would I have the front O2's still on there, and get one additional bung welded on for the wideband to plug into?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

bump
Old 07-01-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Someone should be really sweet and make a total what do I need for LT install thread and get it stickied.

Maybe when I get mine on, i'll do that and a how too.

its not that easy.....you just cant make something and say hey mods sticky this....
Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

the wideband will take place of one of your o2s....and its a lot better for tuning purpose's....if you have the extra o 300$ id go that route
Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
would this be the one i need then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOSCH...QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: I would need two of those right? if i got those I wouldn't need extensions?

Also, do you guys think i'd benefit from instally poly motor mounts while in there... for the banging y-pipe issues?

EDIT #2: I could just pick this up right?
http://www.proformancemotorsports.co...Kit-98-03.html

Yes, those are the o2 you will need. NO, you will not need extensions because the cords are much longer than the camaro sensors. These are for the corvette, and they run a bit colder. Since you will be moving the o2 sensors farther away from the engine they will not get as hot as they were in the stock location. Some people have no problems with the camaro o2 sensors, but I did. I would also much rather buy those sensors, than buy extensions and then later also buy those sensors.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BOSCH 13111

I cannot stress that enough.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/741521-requested-header-install-info.html

here i got bored....its probably not going to make sticky, but it should help you out a bit
Old 07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741521

here i got bored....its probably not going to make sticky, but it should help you out a bit
awesome! thanks Jacob... only problem is, the pics don't work...
Old 07-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Resident

Soul TKR, just for future reference, it's against forum rules to post links to non-sponsors. just a word of advice, if i were you, i'd edit your post and remove the links. if you don't do it, a mod will. just a friendly warning

links to ebay for parts that LS1tech sponsors carry is also against forum policy.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Fabian
BOSCH 13111

I cannot stress that enough.
if you check the PCM and diagnostic section of this forum, the bosch 13111's are notorious for being poor performers. they often switch much slower than stock and can cause all kinds of problems for tuners. i was die-hard set on buying bosch 13111's until i started researching them. i learned that just like everything else bosch seems to make, their oxygen sensors are also crap.

because of this, i purchased two 24" O2 extensions from Speed Inc. 3 weeks ago (which still haven't even shipped because they're on backorder and i haven't heard a peep from them btw ). when my stock O2's go bad, i'll either get another set of AC delco's or a set of denso oxygen sensors people rave about. if you need new O2 extensions, the pro's on this forum recommend either AC Delco or Denso.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

its not that easy.....you just cant make something and say hey mods sticky this....
I know, it just means I have to do a top notch job, as how to and what do I need seems to pop up alot.

I look at it as a challenge... granted if I get time/effort to do so.