Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipe Argh!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there Y-pipes still smashed looking? I havnt seen these pipes in a bit,,they dissapeared for a while,,,,then when i did see that they finally made a Y,,it was smashed? As far as i know,,that "smashed" area is disruptive to flow,,,,,(smashed as in flattend for clearance issues i guess) So the header bolt holes don't line up either? I looked at these pipes,,,and read about these pipes for quite a while,,until like i mentioned,,they seemed to disappper from you know where. I have since then moved on to research of the QTP's,,i know they are a different amount and all,,,but they seem to give a bit more. I dunno,,,still researching.

Thanx all
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess ...

Are you using band clamps? Mine sealed up great.

Sounds burly at idle ... give it anything and it's, as you say, BLAAAT = RASP.
using a few jegs preformed band clamps, they're working surprisingly well ... I'd have gotten a load of accuseal's but just didn't have the time to do it, and what I needed was out of stock when I did have the time, so I went with what I have now.

I only get the blaaat sound from 1500-2300 anything over that, it sounds beautiful, part of it, I think, is just due to lack of proper tuning at the moment... higher in the RPM range though, it's an eargasm
Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krab
Ok, so who is having trouble with their Y-pipe RESTING on their floorboard? How about the bolt holes on the header flanges not properly lining up with the head? I sold my Jet-Hot longtubes and ORY in order to get a set of these XS headers and I hope I made the right choice... I'm mainly wanting to know if this is an isolated incident, or if there is an entire batch of these things that are not fitting properly.
no problems with any part of the Y pipe itself as I mentioned, but the bolt holes, I think it was just my choice of bolts more than anything, had I gone studs or used the stock bolts I'd not have had any problem I'm sure of it.

hell even the collector on my set had just enough clearance and I can honestly say I was impressed... when properly done, the headers and Y pipe themselves have MORE clearance than the stock setup (I don't rub anything over a speed bump vs. what I rubbed with the stock y pipe) ... the only thing that even has a chance to do it is my intermediate, and thats just because of an improperly working exhaust mount (which I am fixing in a few minutes)
Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
are there Y-pipes still smashed looking? I havnt seen these pipes in a bit,,they dissapeared for a while,,,,then when i did see that they finally made a Y,,it was smashed? As far as i know,,that "smashed" area is disruptive to flow,,,,,(smashed as in flattend for clearance issues i guess) So the header bolt holes don't line up either? I looked at these pipes,,,and read about these pipes for quite a while,,until like i mentioned,,they seemed to disappper from you know where. I have since then moved on to research of the QTP's,,i know they are a different amount and all,,,but they seem to give a bit more. I dunno,,,still researching.

Thanx all
The Y pipe has a flat spot, yes, but honestly it isn't disruptive to flow overall, so its a moot point, having 3" pipe with a small flat spot vs. having what basically looks like a 1" rectangle running from your cat to your Y connection for your stock setup.

read above post for the rest
Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the quick response Demon, it puts my worries at ease, atleast for now until I receive the longtubes/Y-pipe and install them. I also agree with you about the "crushed" Y-pipe section, it will not hinder flow as much as people might think. I think it's a great idea to incorporate into an aftermarket Y-pipe, make it look like the stocker so it won't bang the floorboard under load.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Thanx!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
are there Y-pipes still smashed looking? I As far as i know,,that "smashed" area is disruptive to flow,,,,,(smashed as in flattend for clearance issues i guess) So the header bolt holes don't line up either? I have since then moved on to research of the QTP's,,i know they are a different amount and all,,,but they seem to give a bit more. I dunno,,,still researching.
Thanx all
You could have any of the issues we've had and more with QTP's. The amazing thing about the XS is how easily they slide in. Zero interference. They'll fall out if you don't hold them. I'd elongate the back hole a little and be prepared to get creative if the ds collector is close to the floor pan. The flattening of the Y doesn't affect flow ... after all, those two 3" pipes go into a single 3" which necks down to 2.75". That's where your flow issues come into play ...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
mine went in like cake, well, as close to cake-like as one can expect when doing them by yourself, on jack stands, in an apartment complex parking lot and having zero prior experience with a header install on an LS1 F-Body
well i'll be in the same boat as you....except i'll be in my slanted driveway instead of an apartment parking lot. let's just hope things go as well for me.