Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 8 Header Bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stage 8 Header Bolts...

would you guys know the difference between these two besides the prices?

would they work on my car?

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...roducts_id=593

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...oducts_id=5837
Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine from Speed inc and im happy with'em. I can get pcis of the clips on my motor if you want but I can't guarentee you it will be today.

The more expensive set has enough bolts for both sides im guessing?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tainted
I got mine from Speed inc and im happy with'em. I can get pcis of the clips on my motor if you want but I can't guarentee you it will be today.

The more expensive set has enough bolts for both sides im guessing?
that would be awesome! thanks bro!

hmmm i would think they would sell all 8 of them though... wouldn't make since to sell half...
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Resident

the simple solution would be to just get them from speed inc. they're only $34.99. i just called them up 30 mins ago and had them add the stage 8 header bolts to my order, and along with that switch the GM steel header gaskets for the set of percy's MLS header gaskets. i went to the track on tuesday and heard some bad things about the GM OEM steel gaskets with aftermarket headers, so i changed my order. it should FINALLY ship out monday after 4 weeks of the O2 extensions being on backorder

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust

the bolts are on the very bottom of the page ^^^
Old 07-06-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
the simple solution would be to just get them from speed inc. they're only $34.99. i just called them up 30 mins ago and had them add the stage 8 header bolts to my order, and along with that switch the GM steel header gaskets for the set of percy's MLS header gaskets. i went to the track on tuesday and heard some bad things about the GM OEM steel gaskets with aftermarket headers, so i changed my order. it should FINALLY ship out monday after 4 weeks of the O2 extensions being on backorder
so... did you bust out the vice grips yet?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and heard some bad things about the GM OEM steel gaskets with aftermarket headers, so i changed my order
What did you hear. I am going to have them installed soon and dont want to have to do it again. Thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get them from speed inc...

but be warned, a standard header bolt is 10mm and the stage 8's are 11mm ... found that out in the middle of the install and had to go find a ratcheting end wrench to complete my set and a socket just for *****.

choco, even though you're full of yourself, I'd have sold you my extensions had I known you were waiting they're from speed inc and I just yanked them today
Old 07-06-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

I resused my stock GM gaskets. I have not had a leak or had to retighten after the initial torquing when I installed them. GM gaskets, reused or new are probably the best gaskets for LS1 cars.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust

the bolts are on the very bottom of the page ^^^
......I thought the GM ones were an MLS gasket. I have a driver side one in my garage and it looks pretty multi layer to me...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
get them from speed inc...

but be warned, a standard header bolt is 10mm and the stage 8's are 11mm ... found that out in the middle of the install and had to go find a ratcheting end wrench to complete my set and a socket just for *****.
so they are too long? meaning they won't fit?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
so they are too long? meaning they won't fit?
No he's talking about the head size of the bolt. You need an 11mm wrench to tighten the bolt where as the stock bolt takes a 10mm wrench.

As fas as the gaskets go I dislike felpro but there exhaust manifold/header gaskets work great. I put them on my car when I first did the headers(never re-tightened them) and they never leaked. I just dead heads/cam and reused the same gaskets and haven't had a leak yet.

I also have the stage 8 bolts but I threw away the stupid clips. There a pain in the *** and in my opinion not needed, haven't had a leak yet and haven't re-torqued the bolts.

-william
Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

theres not a damn thing wrong with stock OEM gm gaskets, many many many people reuse theirs with no troubles. I bought new ones for peace of mind. I think hes a bit delerious
Old 07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Soul TKR: heres those pics of my stage 8 bolts with the locking peices on

Old 07-08-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

awesome! I see how they work now... Thanks tainted!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

not a problem, glad to help. lemme know if yall need more pics or w/e
Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

In the top picture, wouldnt the bolt still be able to back out 3/4 of a turn, you my need to spin that......i could be wrong
Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

it could, but it aint gonig anywhere, every bolt on my motor has been loc-titeds the **** out of it. I jsut put the locknig caps on it cuz i was bored
Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
......I thought the GM ones were an MLS gasket. I have a driver side one in my garage and it looks pretty multi layer to me...
he claims the GM OEM header gaskets are too hard. he says the steel isn't soft enough for the headers to mate up to it properly and you run a higher risk of developing leaks. he claims softer metal gaskets like copper and aluminum are ideal when running a stainless steel header.

i didn't feel like arguing with him, so i just nodded and agreed and got on the phone with speed inc. and changed my order to the percy's seal-4-good header gaskets. i hear those are the best header gaskets on the market and they're marketed as "the last LS1 header gasket you'll ever buy." i guess we'll find out, won't we?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I really dont think those top dollar gaskets are neccesary, and wont ever convince me they are. the stock gaskets should work perfectly fine
Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
I really dont think those top dollar gaskets are neccesary, and wont ever convince me they are. the stock gaskets should work perfectly fine
it's really just for the sake of argument, plus the extra peace of mind. it was only an additional $17. i guess i'll have to plead "better safe than sorry" for this one.

Quick Reply: Stage 8 Header Bolts...