Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have been a firm supporter of the QTP side, but last night I sent payment for a set of xs headers and y pipe. I will take pics of whatever and post whatever yall would like to see. Feel free to pm me with any questions about them and I will answer anything that I can. I have owned Qtp's, and pacesetters so I will beable to give a decent opinion lol. But we shall see how it goes.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
I'm sorry but this is just incorrect.

The fact is that XS headers are manufactured in North Carolina. It is also a fact that they are made using 321 stainless, and are welded complete inside and out. They do have a velocity spike in the merge, and they also have a beefier mounting flange than any other header save ARH.

Do you have a set of XS headers? I already know the answer to that because if you did, you wouldn't have posted. Please don't post information about a product unless you have personal experience with it.
Sorry Backbird, There is no manufacturing of XS Headers in NC or in any other state in the U.S. You've been grossly misinformed. Their headers are distributed through an outfit in NC but that's it. I don't understand why the fact that these headers and others like them, being made overseas, needs to be such a secret. Obviously folks are willing to buy them due to price. Maybe they're concerned the more patriotic consumer won't want to buy their performance parts knowing they come from the land of the Rick-shaw.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by GMmexican
its guaranteed you will gain more hp with qtp over pace setter.........i have never seen a dyno where the qtp's didnt provide any power gain, and with a good tune thats even better.
Right, and it's guaranteed that you gain more power from a K&N filter than you would from a premium paper filter. But many people still run the paper filter, why? Because the K&N is expensive, and in many people's eyes, the extra 2hp you get from it is not worth the money.

Same situation, is 5hp worth $300-$500? If it is to you, then there's no need to argue because we just disagree.

Originally Posted by bigArchidia
Sorry Backbird, There is no manufacturing of XS Headers in NC or in any other state in the U.S. You've been grossly misinformed. Their headers are distributed through an outfit in NC but that's it. I don't understand why the fact that these headers and others like them, being made overseas, needs to be such a secret. Obviously folks are willing to buy them due to price. Maybe they're concerned the more patriotic consumer won't want to buy their performance parts knowing they come from the land of the Rick-shaw.
I have one question for you and that's all:

Do you own a set of XS headers?

If the answer to this question is no, then don't waste our time.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right, and it's guaranteed that you gain more power from a K&N filter than you would from a premium paper filter. But many people still run the paper filter, why? Because the K&N is expensive, and in many people's eyes, the extra 2hp you get from it is not worth the money.

Same situation, is 5hp worth $300-$500? If it is to you, then there's no need to argue because we just disagree.

I have one question for you and that's all:

Do you own a set of XS headers?

If the answer to this question is no, then don't waste our time.
Hmmmmm thats the belief of a newbie, k&n filters have never shown any power gains ever, i have yet to see it. I have a better chance of seeing an unicorn or the lochness monster than a 1 hp gain using k&n.

And if everyone went by your analogy, why waste money on a good cat back like- borla,corsa, etc. when a cheapo flowmaster will do, heck why use any good brand name parts on any of our cars, lets just save money and throw in the cheapest stuff we can find.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Restricted User

Hmmmmm thats the belief of a newbie, k&n filters have never shown any power gains ever, i have yet to see it. I have a better chance of seeing an unicorn or the lochness monster than a 1 hp gain using k&n.
Just because you have yet to see it, that means it's not true eh? That sounds alot "like the belief of a newbie".

And if everyone went by your analogy, why waste money on a good cat back like- borla,corsa, etc. when a cheapo flowmaster will do, heck why use any good brand name parts on any of our cars, lets just save money and throw in the cheapest stuff we can find.
My analogy is speaking of items of similiar quality, and addressing power. Your comparison is totally different.

Sound is almost MORE important than power in a catback. No one worries about how headers "sound". Quality and gains are what everyone is looking for.

Generalizing will not ALWAYS help your argument, so think before you try it.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just because you have yet to see it, that means it's not true eh? That sounds alot "like the belief of a newbie".

My analogy is speaking of items of similiar quality, and addressing power. Your comparison is totally different.

Sound is almost MORE important than power in a catback. No one worries about how headers "sound". Quality and gains are what everyone is looking for.

Generalizing will not ALWAYS help your argument, so think before you try it.
your stating that why spend more money on QTP when you can settle for less!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Restricted User

your stating that why spend more money on QTP when you can settle for less!!!!
Please explain.

Explain to me how i'm "settling for less" when i'm getting better quality parts for a better price.

This i'd like to hear.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

You settled for a low end budget header. QTP's are,ported at the header flange. You wont see left over weld here.

Stainless steel is better, compared to mild steel, stainless steel has superior high temperature characteristics. It is an excellent material for headers and any application where high heat is encountered.

Stainless steel has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Radiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers to protect the car and the driver from excessive, fatiguing high temperatures.

Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel used QTP's header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector.

This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency. 304 stainless steel has excellent high temperature fatigue resistance in enclosed application and does a darn good job of living in this hostile environment better than any other material.

These many characteristics, such as superior heat retention properties, high temperature fatigue resistance, and to a lesser extent, the cosmetic value of a non-rusting finish, combine to make stainless steel an ideal choice for headers.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You settled for a low end budget header. QTP's are,ported at the header flange. You wont see left over weld here.

Stainless steel is better, compared to mild steel, stainless steel has superior high temperature characteristics. It is an excellent material for headers and any application where high heat is encountered.

Stainless steel has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Radiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers to protect the car and the driver from excessive, fatiguing high temperatures.

Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel used QTP's header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector.

This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency. 304 stainless steel has excellent high temperature fatigue resistance in enclosed application and does a darn good job of living in this hostile environment better than any other material.

These many characteristics, such as superior heat retention properties, high temperature fatigue resistance, and to a lesser extent, the cosmetic value of a non-rusting finish, combine to make stainless steel an ideal choice for headers.
isnt the whole argument for XS because they ARE stainless?!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

no hes comparing pacesetters i believe?..........either way im just beating a dead horse, sorry blackbird it comes down to personal preference

People spend $3k on wheels and then $1k on chrome/carbon engine dress-up, so whats the big deal if you got the dough.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:21 AM
11 Second Club

no hes comparing pacesetters i believe?..........either way im just beating a dead horse, sorry blackbird it comes down to personal preference

People spend $3k on wheels and then $1k on chrome/carbon engine dress-up, so whats the big deal if you got the dough.

You need to actually read all five pages before poppin your head in here and talking crap about something you obviously don't really know about.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Blakbird, Nice way to dodge the facts. Oh well you've been informed.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Please explain.

Explain to me how i'm "settling for less" when i'm getting better quality parts for a better price.

This i'd like to hear.
I agree with ya Blakbird. The only thing QTP has over XS now since their change is the HVMC. So for the money i really dont think your settleing for less. Atleast you get whet you pay for cause they show exactly what their header looks like before you buy it...QTP dont!!! Alot of people thought my QTP's where XS headers until i put up a pic of the collector.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Restricted User

I'm comparing XS to QTP. I agree that there is no doubt that QTP makes better headers than pacesetter. Pacesetters were designed with budget in mind and nothing more, they do a great job for their price.

I also agree that personal preference prevails. I'd never dispute that. You buy what you like. My whole argument was against those who are trying to claim that QTPs are "just all around better" because they definetly are not. When I got my XS headers, I expected a lower level of quality as compared to QTP and Kooks. What I got is clearly superior to QTP and possibly even Kooks. I was surprised and now i'm trying to share that impression with others.

Originally Posted by BigArchidia
Blakbird, Nice way to dodge the facts. Oh well you've been informed.
Apparently I missed something here. Please show me the facts that i've dodged. Please show me how i've been informed.

It looks to me like I came in here already informed and passed that information on to you and some other uninformed folks. I could be wrong but it definetly looks like that to me.

Quick Reply: Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP