Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP

They advertise that they make an average of 18 more HP due to the velocity collector,,,can anyone back this up? So many freakin choices anymore. I am driven by budget, but want the best bang for my buck.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
They advertise that they make an average of 18 more HP due to the velocity collector,,,can anyone back this up? So many freakin choices anymore. I am driven by budget, but want the best bang for my buck.
I say save a little cash, pull the trigger on the 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8's edlebrock ti-tech coated LT's, and be happy with more than you could ever ask for.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_race.shtml

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 07-11-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I really wanna stick with Stainless,,thanx for the link!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:59 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seat of the pants feel, the HVMC's delivered better midrange response than the SLP LT's on my old setup when I did the swap. Tq. curve fattened up in the midrange as well (it wasn't an apples for apples swap, as a 90/90 intake went on at the same time as the LT swap). Yet, I was very pleased with the results.
The Edelbrock stepped, velocity merge LT mentioned above yielded similar gains from what I've seen over the years- usually with max effort Lsx engines.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hope they do as ill be swapping my pacesetters out for them in the coming weeks. if they dont they will still look nicer
Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Resident

i saw dyno graphs where a simple switch from pacesetters to QTP's w/HVMC - nothing more - showed a gain of 8-9 rwhp peak and over 30 rwtq at ~3100 rpm's.

to answer your question, YES, QTP's will make more power than most headers. they just may be the best header for f-body's for power gains. a lot of guys on this site think a longtube is a longtube and they all yield the same gains - that couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Thanx!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i saw dyno graphs where a simple switch from pacesetters to QTP's w/HVMC - nothing more - showed a gain of 8-9 rwhp peak and over 30 rwtq at ~3100 rpm's.

to answer your question, YES, QTP's will make more power than most headers. they just may be the best header for f-body's for power gains. a lot of guys on this site think a longtube is a longtube and they all yield the same gains - that couldn't be further from the truth.
ya but is it worth paying double than the pacesetter's for the qtp headers?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
I saw Rippers signature and I think below Choco said it all. But IMO If you want to get headers on your car because you just want to have headers then go for the cheaper ones. If you want to spend the money and do the research then what ever that yields go for it!

you only live once. i don't want to be on my deathbed one day thinking "damn, i really wish i would have gotten that exhaust setup i really wanted when i was 20. i shoulda spent the extra money."

whatever makes you happy. you gotta drive the car. you should drive what you love. no one else's opinion matters.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

If your looking at HP gains,,,,,i would think yes. Some others prices are hard to pass up though. I'll admit,,i've been researching headers for about a half a year now,,,,ugh
Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for what summit sells them for there is no reason not to get them over a pacesetter. honestly whats $300 in the big schem of the money u spend on the car.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
look at it this way (this will probably happen unless your car is a garage queen):

in a year or less, your pacesetters will have surface rust. i've heard of them rusting in as little as 3 months.

in 1 - 3 years, significant amounts of coating will have flaked off.

in 3 - 5 years, the headers will likely have rusted through.

if you live in a northern region where there's a lot of road salt, your headers will be rusty in no time at all.

my QTP's will last forever. and ever. and ever. they will always look good and they will never rust. they will outlast my engine, transmission, you name it.

i didn't want to initially get QTP's. then i thought about after 3 - 5 years, i'd have to replace my headers. i plan on never selling my car, so why not do it right the first time? i waited for a sale and got the AIR/EGR version for $735. the race versions were going for ~$650 at the time. not only will my headers last forever, they'll show serious power gains over the competition. a better looking, longer lasting, better performing header is worth it IMO.

that's my $0.02. take it for whatever it's worth to you. we all have different wants and needs. nothing's too good for my baby
Old 07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who cares about the surface rust anyway, my uncoated pacesetters are like 5 years old and aint a damn thing wrong with then but a bit of rust by the collector.

That said though I like the QTP's and the Edlebrocks and may switch to one in the future.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

1 year and 17k daily driven miles on these and they are barely showing signs of brown... The emissions tubes on the other hand Pacesetters were the best headers I could afford at the time, and they have suited me awesome over the past year. But with QTP and ARH out there now producing better numbers out of a 3/4, when the pacesetters finally **** themselves (either the emissions tubes or rusting through, the former of which I will bet money happens first), I'll pick up some stainless. Changing headers aint a big deal IMO. I would rather change 10 sets of headers on an LS1 car before changing ONE set on an LT1 car

-J
Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
8 Second Club

Pay the extra money and get the QTP! If your going to spend the money do it once.
You get what u pay for!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

I gained about 10 RWHP and 10+ RWTQ going from QTP's standard collector to their HVMC. I've learned that if you do it right, you'll only have to do it once. JMHO.

Good luck either way. Some people just don't plan on keeping their cars forever.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by radz282003
I gained about 10 RWHP and 10+ RWTQ going from QTP's standard collector to their HVMC. I've learned that if you do it right, you'll only have to do it once. JMHO.

Good luck either way. Some people just don't plan on keeping their cars forever.
good post. the QTP's have the best collector in the business. they're easily the most beautiful header out there. they're a work of art.

if your f-body is "just a car" to you, meaning you're going to sell it in a year or two, go for the pacesetters. it won't even matter.

if you're like me and you plan on never selling your car, go for the QTP's.

my car is more than just a car to me. it's a friend who's always there and has never let me down *knock on wood*. i know it sounds corny, maybe even stupid, but it really is as close to a friend as an inanimate object can be. if you plan on hanging onto your friend, get the better parts. if it's just a car to you and it's a temporary relationship (like it is for 99+% of americans out there), then maybe all you need is a temporary header.

whatever floats your boat, different strokes for different folks...all that happy stuff
Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

about 4000 miles a year,,moslty to shows.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

They are worth every penny
Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

my QTP's will last forever. and ever. and ever. they will always look good and they will never rust. they will outlast my engine, transmission, you name it.
QTP and kooks apparently turned out a few bad batches then because they had a few customers on this site who's stainless headers were rusted to ****. the bottom of the pacesetters will look shitty, but in the engine bay the still look like they did when i bought them.

my car is more than just a car to me. it's a friend who's always there and has never let me down *knock on wood*.
hmm j/k

i know it sounds corny, maybe even stupid, but it really is as close to a friend as an inanimate object can be
i guess i see your point, except my car is like a girl that always wants money, never for repairs, always for new ****...

Quick Reply: Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP