Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
QTP and kooks apparently turned out a few bad batches then because they had a few customers on this site who's stainless headers were rusted to ****. the bottom of the pacesetters will look shitty, but in the engine bay the still look like they did when i bought them.
i never heard about this. are you sure you're not speaking of SLP's? they use 409 stainless which rusts on the surface.

hmm j/k
gay? what are you talking about? my car's a girl you don't name your car after a man "i'm gonna go take a ride in Pete..."....yea, that sounds realllll classy

i guess i see your point, except my car is like a girl that always wants money, never for repairs, always for new ****...
this is why so many americans out there are buying imports now. no one is viewing them as a hobby or passion. they want a car for 3 years, then they want to sell it and buy another. we're a dying breed
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy them believing any hype, I can speak from experience. Headers don't really make much of a difference unless you have big displacement or possibly power adders. I have QTP's and they make no more than my Jethots did. You buy them for the quality/price/looks/performance all in one. If they made 30rwtq more than another header, someone was absolutely on some sort of pipe. Now, I will say, I can't speak from experience with a custom crazy cam and stage 17 heads, maybe that's where the HVMC will make a noticeable difference. Don't get me wrong, I like em and wouldn't change them.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I can't speak from experience with a custom crazy cam and stage 17 heads
I'm sorry, had to laugh at the stage 17 heads
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

QTP's are an awesome header and I would definitely recommend them over any other header. The quality is there and the performance is there
Old 07-12-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=ChocoTaco369]look at it this way (this will probably happen unless your car is a garage queen):

in a year or less, your pacesetters will have surface rust. i've heard of them rusting in as little as 3 months.

in 1 - 3 years, significant amounts of coating will have flaked off.

in 3 - 5 years, the headers will likely have rusted through.

if you live in a northern region where there's a lot of road salt, your headers will be rusty in no time at all.

my QTP's will last forever. and ever. and ever. they will always look good and they will never rust. they will outlast my engine, transmission, you name it.

[QUOTE]

my car is driven every day and never sees the inside of a garage. I have the coated cheap pacesetters and they have minimal surface rust..... The ocean is less than 1 mile from my house and 1/4 from my work. Ur numbers have nothing to back them up, u pulled those numbers out of your ***. I have had my headers for 3 years. I will say that they are cheap and efficient for the price.

IF, and WHEN these get to be unusable, i will be going the stainless route, but I doubt ill get to that point before the new camaro comes out. I will say that QTP are nicer looking and probably better made, but I doubt theres any difference. I sure couldnt see a 20 hp diff in my friends SS with qtps and my own.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

man i need some Stage 17's.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ultraz
my car is driven every day and never sees the inside of a garage. I have the coated cheap pacesetters and they have minimal surface rust..... The ocean is less than 1 mile from my house and 1/4 from my work. Ur numbers have nothing to back them up, u pulled those numbers out of your ***. I have had my headers for 3 years. I will say that they are cheap and efficient for the price.
okay, so? there have been many, many people on these boards that have had their pacesetters rust in a few months. what do they look like under the car? i'm not talking about the primaries, you know. i'm talking about at the collectors where everything is welded up. that is where headers rust.

IF, and WHEN these get to be unusable, i will be going the stainless route, but I doubt ill get to that point before the new camaro comes out. I will say that QTP are nicer looking and probably better made, but I doubt theres any difference. I sure couldnt see a 20 hp diff in my friends SS with qtps and my own.
you'd be wrong...again, i've personally seen QTP's make 8-9rwhp peak and over 30 rwtq at ~3100 rpms over pacesetters. it's not so much the headers, it's the merge collectors that make the big difference....

my point is, if everyone went stainless from day one, they wouldn't have to ever switch. it's more expensive up front, but it's cheaper in the long run. plus, you'll be able to surely get the headers cheaper now than 5 years down the road when the coated ones rust through.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
okay, so? there have been many, many people on these boards that have had their pacesetters rust in a few months. what do they look like under the car? i'm not talking about the primaries, you know. i'm talking about at the collectors where everything is welded up. that is where headers rust.

you'd be wrong...again, i've personally seen QTP's make 8-9rwhp peak and over 30 rwtq at ~3100 rpms over pacesetters. it's not so much the headers, it's the merge collectors that make the big difference....

my point is, if everyone went stainless from day one, they wouldn't have to ever switch. it's more expensive up front, but it's cheaper in the long run. plus, you'll be able to surely get the headers cheaper now than 5 years down the road when the coated ones rust through.
your statements are once again flawed. 3 years ago, the cheapest set of stainless were around 1k$. Pacesetters coated were 550$... how cheap are they now? alot less.

ON what car did u see the 31 rwtq difference, what were the conditions, were they back to back runs? was there any tuning involved? If you personally seen QTP's make that much more power, what shop was it at, id be interested in seeing those dyno sheets.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

seriously, 30rwtq? was it a 13.5:1 cr 427?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned

I have the edelbrock stepped with the merge collector..

I want to go stainless real bad.. and I am torn between the QTP's with the HVMC, and the Stainless Edelbrock stepped with the merge collector.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Resident

your statements are once again flawed. 3 years ago, the cheapest set of stainless were around 1k$. Pacesetters coated were 550$... how cheap are they now? alot less.
yea, because 3 years ago, there were 2 companies making stainless headers! now we have QTP, Kooks, ARH, XS, Edelbrock, Hooker...they ALL make stainless, plus there are many cheaper alternatives out there for coated and painted headers. the market is flooded, now.

have you been paying attention to the commodities market? stainless steel keeps going up. kooks just raised their price $100. guess what's gonna happen 5 years from now? yup, prices are going to go up even higher. your comparison is flawed, mine is valid because mine reflects market conditions.

ON what car did u see the 31 rwtq difference, what were the conditions, were they back to back runs? was there any tuning involved? If you personally seen QTP's make that much more power, what shop was it at, id be interested in seeing those dyno sheets.
it was a H/C car with just a header swap, nothing else. it was a post on this forum. i'll dig it up if the search is working.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Choco dont embarass yourself, you said that you "personally" seen QTP's make more power, yet it was just a post.... I could post that I lost 50 hp using them. If u were not at the dyno, u did not PERSONALLY see it.

AND dont tell me about "market conditions" Ive already got my Bachelor of Science degree in business, and am working on my masters. I really dont need someone whos to scared to change brake pads tell me about something technical.

Besides , my point is valid, Stainless were MUCH more expensive than they are now due to a competitive market.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Restricted User

The problem with this argument is that there is no proof of SIGNIFICANT and REPEATABLE gains with one LT set over another. Yeah under certain conditions and on certain cars, certain headers make more power. But I can't justify spending more on a set of headers when all it can promise me is a name. Perhaps it would make more power, but maybe not. Even if it did, i'd be likely looking at 5hp. Not worth it.

If I bought QTPs, i'd have paid $300 more than I paid for my top quality stainless headers, and i'd be crossing my fingers on dyno day hoping that I didn't waste that money. Not my idea of a wise purchase.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

your right,,,(((sweet freakin car you got there too.)))
Old 07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Resident

Choco dont embarass yourself, you said that you "personally" seen QTP's make more power, yet it was just a post.... I could post that I lost 50 hp using them. If u were not at the dyno, u did not PERSONALLY see it.
i personally saw a dyno graph. i looked at it with my own two eyes. the guy proved his gains. i PERSONALLY saw his results. so what's your point?

AND dont tell me about "market conditions" Ive already got my Bachelor of Science degree in business, and am working on my masters. I really dont need someone whos to scared to change brake pads tell me about something technical.
did you graduate last in your class on the 7 year program? because you should have known that. i know the reason why the prices are what they are. it's pretty sad if you don't. if i were you, i'd downplay that degree. you may "embarass yourself"

Besides , my point is valid, Stainless were MUCH more expensive than they are now due to a competitive market.
that was my point. remember? i'm the guy that came in and said stainless are cheaper now because there's more competition. however, now the market is flooded, so prices are only going to go UP. that was my explanation, not yours, so don't take credit for my correct analysis. i corrected you, remember that mr. business. if you want to come in here all condescending, i can do it, too.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
The problem with this argument is that there is no proof of SIGNIFICANT and REPEATABLE gains with one LT set over another. Yeah under certain conditions and on certain cars, certain headers make more power. But I can't justify spending more on a set of headers when all it can promise me is a name. Perhaps it would make more power, but maybe not. Even if it did, i'd be likely looking at 5hp. Not worth it.

If I bought QTPs, i'd have paid $300 more than I paid for my top quality stainless headers, and i'd be crossing my fingers on dyno day hoping that I didn't waste that money. Not my idea of a wise purchase.

The point of Qtp's is not only for the great power increase, but rather the longevity of the product. I have used both pacesetter and Qtp, and let me tell you what, the fitment was insanselt different, the quality of the welds, and flanges and the overall product was just amazingly different aswell. The Qtp's went in without a problem, didnt have to grind, or notch anything. My pacesetter, I had to grind off the tab and remove the steering so that I could get them in. And then I had to beat in the passenger side of the floor pan to get it in aswell.

You are not just paying for a better "dyno day", you are paying for an overall better product. And now that I have a new car, even though it will take longer, you better bet that I will only go stainless, and as a matter of fact, only QTP!

Btw, its sad that people now adays are so worried about a dyno number, yea they are nice, but god damn, most of yall are putting the dyno on a pedestal.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
however, now the market is flooded, so prices are only going to go UP. that was my explanation, not yours, so don't take credit for my correct analysis. i corrected you, remember that mr. business. if you want to come in here all condescending, i can do it, too.
you obviously havent even taken a high school economics class
Old 07-13-2007, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
you obviously havent even taken a high school economics class
I dont see whats wrong with his statement, its just like gas companies, there are a bunch of different stations and companies out there and what do they do... they dont compete with eachother to make the prices lower... instead they all together raise their value to make more profit. Or atleast thats how I see it lol.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

whats wrong with his statement is that it goes 100% against the law of supply and demand. unless he's saying that headers for LS1s are so special and unique that they arent governed by such laws..lol

now the gas companies, that might be another story
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

HAHAHA, I never really paid attention much in my economics class so I guess that I cant really argue a certain side or anything lol. Guess I should have thought about that lol

Quick Reply: Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP