Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time dyno graphs aren't going to help this argument. The only way to settle this argument is to take a bone stock LS1, bolt on pacesetters, dyno. Switch to Hookers, dyno. Switch to QTP, dyno. Switch to Kooks, dyno. Compare. Then take a modified LS1 and do all those same tests. Compare.

That's the only way you are going to be able to scientifically prove anything. When you are speaking of differences of less than 10hp, it's got to be the same car, same dyno, same day to prove anything.

Also, I wasn't comparing Pacesetters to QTPs. There are obvious advantages that QTPs have over pacesetters. I'm speaking of much cheaper stainless headers compared to QTP.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't almost all stainless steel header makers use the HVMC?

I've noticed as of late Kooks and American Racing having them while QTP is the only company really pimping them...
Old 07-14-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Did anyone happen to see this post.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/700678-results-qtp-hvmc-vs-pacesetters.html
It shows gains.
3100 it is 18 hp and 30 ft lbs
8 hp 6 ft-lbs peak

This is exactly what i wanted to see....
Old 07-14-2007, 02:54 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Out from the archives....

Swap involved:
SLP LT to QTP HVMC LT
LS6 to FAST 90 intake
3" TD X-pipe to QTP (Mufflex) Y-pipe and SLP 2OTL catback

Decent gains. Car later made 480rwhp with further tuning and some tweaking of the cam degree. (stock cube h/c LS1)
For someone looking to milk every pony out of their setup, there's no reason not to get the HVMC's.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

What ChocoTaco369 said in post #12 above, is the best review when comparing headers. If your hobby is installing longtubes, buy a cheap set. Otherwise go Kook's or QTP or Stainless Works, and be done with it.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
what? when the hell did i say that? i said prices are going up now because STAINLESS STEEL IS GETTING MORE EXPENSIVE.
here's where you said that:
now the market is flooded, so prices are only going to go UP. that was my explanation, not yours, so don't take credit for my correct analysis.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
here's where you said that:
umm, wow, you totally took that out of context. nice use of selective quoting to make it look like i said something i didn't.

this is what i said:

i made two totally different comparisons. i made a comparison of 5 years ago and 5 years into the future.

5 years ago, there was less competition, so an increase in companies making the headers caused the prices to go down. this is why headers were more expensive 5 years ago.

however, NOW, the market is flooded with competition. a ton of companies make headers in different grades of steel. because the market is flooded, the price increase of raw materials will cause the header's price to increase faster than the increased competition will cause it to decrease. this will cause header prices to rise 5 years into the future.

you guys need to learn to read before you point the fingers. learn to read. either you're a terrible reader or you're a liar. either way, it's not good.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SladeX
Don't almost all stainless steel header makers use the HVMC?

I've noticed as of late Kooks and American Racing having them while QTP is the only company really pimping them...
kooks does not use HVMC's. of course they can make them for you for even more money, but they're already $150 more than QTP's. neither does XS or hooker.

only QTP and ARH use HVMC's, and IMO, QTP has the best merge in the business. edelbrock may use HVMC's in their stainless version, but i've never seen pics of stainless edelbrocks.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

oh well, all I know is I got them in my car and I was givin the old longtubes a spit polish while I was waiting for my oil to drain...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought these used for $450! They were about a year old and I couldn't be more happier w/ the fit and finish!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Restricted User

This argument has spanned four pages and no one is any further than they were at post #1. Thanks for nothing guys. I'm going to bed.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
This argument has spanned four pages and no one is any further than they were at post #1. Thanks for nothing guys. I'm going to bed.
Your Welcome!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
i guess you missed the post where QTP's gained 31 rwtq over pacesetters at 3100 rpms? or the post where a swap to QTP longtubes and a fast 90/90 setup netted huge gains, even though they went from TD's to a y-pipe which would naturally cut gains?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

i guess you missed the post where QTP's gained 31 rwtq over pacesetters at 3100 rpms? or the post where a swap to QTP longtubes and a fast 90/90 setup netted huge gains, even though they went from TD's to a y-pipe which would naturally cut gains?

Actually, a well designed y-pipe (like the mufflex y-pipe which incorporates a 3" to 4" flowmaster scavenger Y merge collector) can perform very well.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Actually, a well designed y-pipe (like the mufflex y-pipe which incorporates a 3" to 4" flowmaster scavenger Y merge collector) can perform very well.
yea, but it can't outperform true duals. no matter what you do with a y-pipe, it'll never outperform an x-pipe in potential. it's the nature of the beast. i can guarantee you that his x-pipe true duals would have done even better on the dyno. they'd have to be the most poorly made true duals ever to be outperformed by a y-pipe setup ESPECIALLY in the midrange. true duals dominate in the midrange from the tests i've seen.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:28 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

yea, but it can't outperform true duals. no matter what you do with a y-pipe, it'll never outperform an x-pipe in potential. it's the nature of the beast. i can guarantee you that his x-pipe true duals would have done even better on the dyno. they'd have to be the most poorly made true duals ever to be outperformed by a y-pipe setup ESPECIALLY in the midrange. true duals dominate in the midrange from the tests i've seen.
I bet his car would have performed about the same in the midrange.

All V-8 engines with 90-degree cranks have an imbalance in the firing order between the right and left cylinder banks. The firing order imbalance is a necessary sacrifice so that a dynamic balance of the rotating and reciprocating assembly (crank, rods and pistons) can be maintained. Each time the firing order is complete (two full revolutions of the crank), two cylinders within each bank fire and exhaust within 90 degrees of each other. Because of this, this pair of cylinders will be exhausting into the header collector (on one bank) almost simultaneously. This overlap creates a back pressure. Meanwhile, the header on the opposite bank has no activity (or pressure) in it at all. Conventional full-length four-tube headers help separate the exhaust in the cylinders until it reaches the collector. After the header primary tubes dump into the collectors, the two cylinders close to each other in the firing sequence again are fighting for space in both the collector and exhaust pipe. This results in reflected pressure waves traveling backwards though the exhaust system. What you get is more backpressure, diminished power and fuel economy, and the V-8's characteristic growl......

....Some people have found small low and mid-range torque improvements using an H-pipe. But at high RPM, the gases cannot bleed across the H-pipe fast enough to help power very much. The double cross, X-crossover, is an improvement beyond the H-pipe, but does not resynchronize pulsing and pressure spikes completely.

X benefits are up high.
Same car gained 2mph in the 1/4 with the X pipe over a conventional (SLP) Y-pipe when it was a cam-only setup.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 07-15-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:01 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^
Furthermore, that setup ran on an apple for apples SLP LT/ 3" X pipe to QTP HVMC LT/ Mufflex Y pipe swap for a few weeks before the 90/90 went on and there was significant improvement in midrange response from the exhaust swap alone.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

So the car actually picked up more power midrange going to the y-pipe?!? I'm a little lost lol
Old 07-15-2007, 12:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
So the car actually picked up more power midrange going to the y-pipe?!? I'm a little lost lol
Seat of the pantswise, yes (before the 90mm intake replaced the ls6 intake) . This is tricky, however, because many factors play into SOTP feel, including peak tq being available sooner (yet, sometimes, peak tq is available lower in the rev range with more restrictive exhaust setups, yet, the peak tq total output is less- such as when a cutout is closed on a bad flowing flowmaster catback- the exhaust running through the catback will yield better response down low and midrange in feel, yet peak hp/tq is restrained overall, thus the car is slower through the 1/4 mile despite that it feels quicker with the cutout closed).
However with my old setup, with the QTP HVMC LT's and the Mufflex Y-pipe, gains were seen both in midrange response and with peak totals. IMO, I attribute the gains seen in the midrange to the flowmaster scavenger merge collector design of the Y-pipe, the upper range gains a result of the 90/90 intake, and the HVMC's supporting both mid and upper range gains. Perhaps with the X-pipe still on, it would have seen even higher peak gains. That would be my guess, yet I was very pleased with the response (and practicality) of the Y-pipe setup- so it turned up to be a great compromise.
Nevertheless, the HVMC's proved a good choice- both for SOTP and dyno gains, getting back on topic.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Yea that flowmaster y is a real nice peice... I am still on the debate of wether or not to go with x over y. From your last post it sounds like this was your car, or you knew the car? What made whoever's car it is to change to a y instead of staying with the duals?

Quick Reply: Do the QTP Headers REALLY make more HP