Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans am exhaust questions...loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans am exhaust questions...loud

So I don't plan on getting headers anytine soon because I don't have time to install them or anymore then 500 dollars to spend. I really want a little more sound out of my exhaust though. I have a borla catback and a lid. I was hoping to get a louder exhaust without the so called rasp that everyone is talking about on here. I am debating gutting the passanger cat, because they only plug the sniffer into the driver side for inspection. I'm not sure, however, if that may sound weird or still cause rasp. The other options would be to gut both cats, take them out altogether, change mufflers, maybe look and see the size plate that is in the borla now, or just wait on headers. Also, I have heard that taking the muffler off a ta will make it sound like complete crap. However, has anyone actually heard it, because I used to have a 5.0 mustang and everyone told me that taking the mufflers off that would sound like crap as well. I did it anyway and ever since had been told that it was one of the best sounding exhausts they'd ever heard. Just curious as to why a 5.0 mustang would sound so amazing without mufflers but an ls1 i heard sounds like ***. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do, or should I just wait for a set of headers?
Thanks for your help
-Brian
Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get a cutout.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

well if you can i recomend waiting for headers. that is what im doing. and just taking out your muffler will make it sound raspy. but it depends what u think sounds like crap.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Get a cutout.
if you just want louder, then do this or wait for headers because they will turn it up a few notches for sure and add a nice amount of power.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

I was debating an electric cutout? Do you know about how much that would be to get welded up? Also, where would you think the best place to put it would be? I'm new the the trans am world and have a lot to learn. So, cutting one cat or both, or just cutting them out would be a bad idea? Also, i guess that concludes that no muffler would be a bad idea. Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

I went with with the TSP rumbler cat back. It goes for less than $300 if you dont get the tips. Its not the best sounding system, but its ok and will defiantely make it louder.

I wanted a different sound after a while, so I swapped out the dynomax bullet that comes on the rumbler with a flowmaster 1 chamber race muffler. It sounded much better to me.

Heres a few vids of both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kHqg8TQCbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w_1fIZrMFg
Old 07-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Teching In

I found a cutout i think i like for 150 on the qtp website for borla exhaust. I think I may order that. Do you guys know how much it would be for me to get a set of coated pacestter longtubes, and about how muh for installation? I'm curious if I should just wait for headers or get a cutout. I'm leaning towards a cutout right now though.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reccomend DHM Performance cutouts. They're top quality. Also gutting one cat and not the other is pointless. 1) gutting the cat doesnt help flow and that's where a lot of rasp comes from. 2) gutting one cat and not the other would create an inbalance in the exhaust. Just not a good idea
Old 07-12-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

wait you said you have a borla catback. check to see which plate you have in your exhaust. You could always go to a bigger plate for a louder sound from your borla
Old 07-12-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

you can get the headers and y pipe for around 500. You can wait for a sponsor to have a deal on them.

If you get a cutout get a DMH- it has a 4 year warranty- speed inc. sponsor sells them.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Teching In

I'm thinking, atleast until I get headers, I'm going to go with the QTP electric cutout for price purposes from here: http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust. they have free shipping and the same price as QTP's web site. Does anyone have any opinions about this, or cheaper prices?
Thanks for all your help
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a cutout, and save your money for headers. I would not buy a different cat-back, because none of them will be signifantly louder than what you already have.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

which clip is the flowmaster?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check to see what plate you have in your borla. If you don't have a plate in it, its sending all the gas straight out the back, bypassing the muffler and will be a lot louder.

LS1 without a muffler sounds pretty good IMO. I've had stock cats, stock manifolds, and no muffler. Sounds better than the magnaflow I had. No muffler and a cutout will sound the about the same, since cutout bypasses the muffler.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Launching!

just FYI these cars have a y-pipe, meaning that both banks of exhuast are connected. If you gut the passenger cat and they sniff the car you could still fail.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Full-Force
which clip is the flowmaster?
The one done during the day, think its the second one
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about this...

I used was a piece of my rusted out TSP rumbler exhaust and a 2nd piece of pipe I had laying around to clamp a Flowmaster 1 chamber onto the Y pipe dumped..

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...jpg?1178247819

Its loud and sounds Wicked at WOT! and mind you the car is still on stock Y, stock cats, and manifolds too.

http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=2493

I had a turndown on mine initially but it was a lot quieter and didn't like it. I want light weight exhaust that is low cost. for me I can't justify putting a bunch of money into a cat back to gain a few HP and a bunch of extra weight. But you car may not pass inspection without tailpipes exiting in teh stock location so this may not be an option just tossing out the idea though.

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 07-12-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM

do not gut your cats, just get the open plate for the borla catback
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Teching In

I also don't know much about exhaust systems, so where would my borla plate be located? Can i check it before I buy an open plate, or would it make sense just to take out the plate thats in there and run no plate at all? Is welding involved or will it just unbolt so I can take out the plate/check the plate myself?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

To access the plate you will need to unbolt the flange at the rear of the car where the I-pipe coming over the axle goes back into (2) pipes that are Y'd to the tailpipe tips.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you plan on installing headers, new 'Y' pipe, and/or gutting/deleting your cats - the Borla catback will sound like *** - big time. Loud is NOT what you're gonna get

I've had (3) different catbacks on my TA till I found the one I like most:

1. Stock exhaust with Borla & McCord Cutout = OK sounding with any of the plates, OK sounding with cutout open. Still not the low/deep muscle car sound at idle or WOT

2. Hooker LT's, JetHot Y Pipe, No Cats with Borla = friggen terrible. Sounded like a cross between a Ferrari and a weedwacker.

3. Corsa with same as #2 above = not much better results.

4. Hooker LT's, JetHot Y Pipe, No Cats with GMMG = sweetest sound around! Brings back memories of my 60's muscle cars with a deep low rumble at idle and all the way thru to 7000rpm. My car is mostly a show car - if you want a LOUD exhaust, the GMMG will fit the bill in that respect also. I constantly get comments from people that love the sound of my TA and want to know exactly how the exhaust system is setup. I have actually won trophies at shows that have contest for loudest/best sounding exhaust since the GMMG install.

My Vote is for GMMG - some of the best $$ I've spent on the car so far...

-Jay-

Quick Reply: trans am exhaust questions...loud