Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing flanges on headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing flanges on headers

I bought a used set of JetHot LT's and they have a pipe slid over the collector and welded with a flange on the end. I've attached pictures to show it better. I'm going to install TSP true duals and they need to be able to slide over the collectors so the flange needs to be taken off. Does it look like it could be removed by grinding down the weld or am I going to risk damaging the collector? Thanks in advance

Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

In the first and 2nd pic u can see kind of an outline of where the collector actually ends....i would cut it there.....or even easier add flanges to the duals.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** welds for 1 thing, but i second the idea of having flanges on the duals. will make tranny work so much easier. just watch the ground clearence
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions..I was really wanting to avoid adding flanges onto the duals though.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going to be a huge pain to get those flanges off cleanly.

I think welding the flange to the duals is your best bet, but if not, then I would cut off the flanges in front of the welds and plan on having to weld some extra pipe onto the duals to get them to slip on
Old 07-24-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm considering cutting the true duals as shown in the picture and having flanges welded on there. My only problem with this is that I won't be able to adjust the angle of the pipes at all.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tylerdj
I'm considering cutting the true duals as shown in the picture and having flanges welded on there. My only problem with this is that I won't be able to adjust the angle of the pipes at all.
Bolt the new flanges to the collector.
Assemble the rest of the exhaust and adjust to your liking
Cut (expand if necessary) the new exhaust to fit onto the new flange
Make sure the exhaust is still where you want it
Then weld the new flanges to your exhaust
Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well after talking to TSP some I'm going to cut the flanges off but leave the pipes welded to the collector so I don't damage the headers trying to grind them off, then get the TD pipes expanded enough to slide over the whole thing.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

GL with that. I need some expansion work done recently and I couldn't find a shop in Houston that expanded anything over 3"

Im assuming you are still planning on band clamping the exhaust to the collector after you cut off the flange. Its going to leak like crazy with those welds on the collector.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Still not really sure which way I want to go
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

no messing around with flanges for me. Id just suck it up and drind down the welds. the new pipes will slide over the collectors so dont worry about if you mess up the finish. just be careful and take your time. it WILL take along time to grind them down, but after that, yoru home free. just assemble and done the way it should be in the first place. you cn use band clamps and if you put antisieze on the inside of the pipes that slide over, it will easily come apart years later since it wont rust together, and nothing is crushed like old school clamps. plus, no worries/headach's of blowing out the collector gaskets. thats really annoying. if you buy cheap flange's from like an auto store, they will warp and you'll go through gaskets alot. none of that to deal with the slip fit.

just my .02
Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I've wanted to do from the beginning, I am just worried that I will mess up the collectors when I grind the weld off. I think I'm going to attempt to grind that weld off this weekend though.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

only way to mess them up is to grind right through them. Ive ground through plenty of welds in my days, and long as you take your time, constantly keep the grinder (I use a cutoff wheel) moving, and watch as you get down to the thickness of the outer piece (the flange in this case thats exopanded over the orig. collecter) you will see where its at.