Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New intake coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is like telling a kid in a candy store he cant have any (it's just not right) thing man who is making it
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

subscribing...... This could be a very good thing for us, especially if the intake is more affordable than the FAST......Am I the only one who remembers buying gen 1 edelbrock and holley carb intakes for $150-$200?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

posting here so i can come back to the thread. this is very interesting... hope they "leak" some news to us soon!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I kept reading and hearing rumors for years. I finally broke down and chose to get a Vengeance ported FAST. Was it expensive, yes, but no more expensive that a set of stainless headers, and the gains are comparable. I'm figuring something between 25-30 hp at the wheels between the intake and throttle body. Which I'm pretty satisfied with.

Best of all, I'll gain some horsepower even down low. I think it's going to be hard to find an intake for less money, that actually makes more power throughout the entire rpm range, but I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if / when it happens.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I kept reading and hearing rumors for years. I finally broke down and chose to get a Vengeance ported FAST. Was it expensive, yes, but no more expensive that a set of stainless headers, and the gains are comparable. I'm figuring something between 25-30 hp at the wheels between the intake and throttle body. Which I'm pretty satisfied with.

Best of all, I'll gain some horsepower even down low. I think it's going to be hard to find an intake for less money, that actually makes more power throughout the entire rpm range, but I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if / when it happens.

yea u never know, if we can get some competition for the fast maybe it'll drive the price down a tad, but it is a good investment. I am working on heads cam now so the intake will be farther down the road, it would just be nice to see a couple intakes avail to fit my setup at that time. if not i won't hesitate to pick up the 90/90 setup, unless the PP 96/96 has made some good results.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The problem with designing an intake, is it's a balancing act like headers. The longer the intake runner, the more low end torque, but high rpm suffers. The shorter the intake runners, the better high end performance, case in point, sheet metal intakes, but they lose a lot on the low end. So if you've got a solid roller, or something spinning to 7600 rpm, with a 5000 stall converter, you probably couldn't care less about low end torque.

The more I had read about the FAST, the more I realized that it was a good option for maintaining lowe to mid performance, even picking up a couple ft/lbs of torque, but really starts to shine from 3500/4000 up to 7000 rpm. Add in the 90mm throttle body and the throttle response improves.

I would have loved to have bought an intake for the cost of the ls6, that gave 20 ft/lbs of torque from 2000 to redline, and picked up 35 hp all the way to redline. But that mythical unicorn doesn't exist yet. I've got to say though, I'm happy to know that if I decide to go up in cubes in the next few years, the intake will keep up with the added displacement.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any word
Old 10-03-2007, 10:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Having A Small Cam Is Like Having A Small Dick; Every Time You Go To Use It You Wish It Was Bigger....
That's pretty funny, but sometimes if it's too big, you just become a freak show and it loses it's usefullness.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I really like the concept of this post but I don't think it's going to happen the way this post started. I talked to Trick Flo a few weeks back and asked them about this rumor. They told me they didn't know of or hear anything about this. They went on to say that if they were going to come out with an intake for the LSx motors it propably wouldn't be made of plastic or what ever that over priced one is made out of. They stated that the reason for that is for boosted and super charged engines it makes more sense to them to stick with aluminum just in case of backfires through the intake. I hope they were just BSing me and this whole concept is true and they were just covering it up, and were planning on a $450.00 intake that would give us around 50 HP increase.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gimp98TNT
I believe Trickflow is making it.
i have no inside info but Trick Flow would be my guess if i were a betting man.
they have heads out already, they offer intakes/heads/cams for Fords and the LSx is such a popular choice for modding now that its only inevitable they get into the LSx intake market as well!

spill the beans
Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

This should be about as much fun as waiting for HPTUNERS to tell us when auto tune will be available. F* it! Subscribing anyhow...

Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 10-09-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll believe it when I see it, Until then I wont hold my breath or care until I see it.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
I'll believe it when I see it, Until then I wont hold my breath or care until I see it.
+1
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Like I said, I had been putting mod money to the side and before I knew it, I had the funds to buy a ported FAST 90/90 combo and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't cheap at $1300, but when you look at a set of stainless steel headers and y-pipe, the cost is pretty close, and I'd say that I made as much if not more of a gain with the intake / throttle body as I did going to long tube headers. The car will be dyno'd once I get the tune straightened out.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

will definateley keep an eye out..right now i have an LS6 intake and will hopefully be able to get a fast intake..but at that price..just cant justify it over whatever the family needs..
Old 10-21-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

Any new news on this???????
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The problem with designing an intake, is it's a balancing act like headers. The longer the intake runner, the more low end torque, but high rpm suffers. The shorter the intake runners, the better high end performance, case in point, sheet metal intakes, but they lose a lot on the low end. So if you've got a solid roller, or something spinning to 7600 rpm, with a 5000 stall converter, you probably couldn't care less about low end torque.

The more I had read about the FAST, the more I realized that it was a good option for maintaining lowe to mid performance, even picking up a couple ft/lbs of torque, but really starts to shine from 3500/4000 up to 7000 rpm. Add in the 90mm throttle body and the throttle response improves.

I would have loved to have bought an intake for the cost of the ls6, that gave 20 ft/lbs of torque from 2000 to redline, and picked up 35 hp all the way to redline. But that mythical unicorn doesn't exist yet. I've got to say though, I'm happy to know that if I decide to go up in cubes in the next few years, the intake will keep up with the added displacement.
What's more important about an after market intake is that it allows you to utilize the after market heads you plan to put on. The FAST doesn't hold up well to 290+CFM, although your making good power regardless, it still is holding the motor back crap tons.

On the contrary, people should worry about a good ported head package that does not call for .600 lift to make good flow numbers. The FAST is good enough for any street application, as is a ported LS6 intake, too. I think we'd be better off asking the vendors to come up w/ decent low lift flow numbers on the LS1, 5.3, and LS6 heads at a decent price instead of asking for an even higher performance street intake at an even cheaper cost. Not likely, there's always a catch to those bargains.

Basically, instead of asking for the higher flow intakes to keep up with the 310+CFM @.600" heads everyone has..I feel it would be a better idea for LS1Tech to come together and bitch about not having decent flowing numbers down low, from .200" lift to .500" lift from those almighty heads. This seems much more viable, because there are FAR more companies investing R&D into the LS heads rather than a new intake. Plus, the gains you already achieved w/ the FAST setup would not diminish, but would simply "pick the *** end of the power band up" and make a near flat torque curve..much like our stock LS1's had in the beginning. Just imagine..We're asking for the wrong things here.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/807431-new-weiand-street-warrior-sema.html

Any of you guys see this? This might be the intake we have been talking about for some time. Pictures/specs at that thread.

Chris
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet!

This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between posts. Please try again in 4 seconds.