Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New intake coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Aussie intake looks like a good piece - outside design of runners look suspiciously just like the Professional Products aluminum intake runners with that flat vertical cutoff at the exit of the runner on each side.

Price stated in thread was around $650 - not really that much of a deal over a FAST intake and you're pretty much stuck with how it flows due to their design - it would have to flow as good as a Mamo ported FAST to be any kind of deal in my book...
Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Z06
When I was speaking to TEA a couple of weeks ago, they (I won't name who) were telling me that there was a possibly a new intake coming out this fall that outflowed the FAST and was cheaper. That's all they would tell me. Has anyone else heard of this new intake? Maybe someone from TEA will come in and either tell me to STFU or give some details. I hope they weren't lying!
It has been my experience with certain vendors that you really need to make sure your talking about the same things. Like an engine dyno as compared to a chassis dyno. Especially when they talk about better results.

Such as I had this conversation with a certain head vendor and they were trashing all over TSP and Patriot in their pm to me. They tell me that they have proved a 25hp gain over a Patriot head. We go back and forth and I tell them to put up or shut up. They finally get down to it and guess what?
A. His info is based on his own personal dyno and he wont use another’s for verification of results

B He's talking about an engine dyno and not RWHP. DO we talk RWHP on here or engine dyno???

See you really need to be careful when dealing with sales people. They make their money selling.

Better than a FAST90 for cheaper money? I dont believe it.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 11-01-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What you are describing is the exact rational and design behind the small runner heads on the market today including AFR, TFS, Edelbrock and Dart. They are stock or smaller than stock runner size, which increases or maintains stock head velocity but also increases the flow up to .600 lift. But what's even more important is that most of those heads flow well down low. Look around and you'll find a few posts of where AFR 205 heads are actually making 500hp in a 346. Patrick G tried a set of AFR 225's and went back to the 205's because he had a much better torque curve down low and only sacrified a couple hp up top. He commented that the drivability of the 205s was much greater than the 225s because of the low lift numbers but more importantly, the better velocity from the smaller ports.

The heads on my car are the same way. JPR spent more time searching for flow numbers between 0.250" - 0.550" lift since he knew I was going with a TR224 cam with only ~0.565" of lift. My heads only flowed 290cfm at 0.600" but also flow 287cfm @ 0.550 and 280 @ 0.500. The nice thing is the intake runners are only opened up to ~216cc, so the velocity is still there.

If the FAST the perfect intake, no, but it certainly is better than the ls6 for me, and I don' think it's holding me back. We'll see how much power it made in a few weeks once I finish tuning the car.

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
What's more important about an after market intake is that it allows you to utilize the after market heads you plan to put on. The FAST doesn't hold up well to 290+CFM, although your making good power regardless, it still is holding the motor back crap tons.

On the contrary, people should worry about a good ported head package that does not call for .600 lift to make good flow numbers. The FAST is good enough for any street application, as is a ported LS6 intake, too. I think we'd be better off asking the vendors to come up w/ decent low lift flow numbers on the LS1, 5.3, and LS6 heads at a decent price instead of asking for an even higher performance street intake at an even cheaper cost. Not likely, there's always a catch to those bargains.

Basically, instead of asking for the higher flow intakes to keep up with the 310+CFM @.600" heads everyone has..I feel it would be a better idea for LS1Tech to come together and bitch about not having decent flowing numbers down low, from .200" lift to .500" lift from those almighty heads. This seems much more viable, because there are FAR more companies investing R&D into the LS heads rather than a new intake. Plus, the gains you already achieved w/ the FAST setup would not diminish, but would simply "pick the *** end of the power band up" and make a near flat torque curve..much like our stock LS1's had in the beginning. Just imagine..We're asking for the wrong things here.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weiand is making the new intake designed by Starr Performance out of AU...Its a PLASTIC INTAKE and needs no porting other than a gasket match and is said to beat the FAST by 15 HP.....It also comes with an adapter to run a 78MM TB if u dont wanna go 90 right away....Pricing is supposed to be cheaper than a FAST.....

Here's the post...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=807431&page=4

Last edited by JS; 11-01-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Diiiid somebody go to SEMA?..lol
Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Rwweeesssee the secret weapons already!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other then development cost, there is no reason for the fast to be as much as it is. They have definatly made money off the product and its should be cheaper in price now, and this competition is what we need for them to bring down the price.

The 650 price the Aussie's have quoted is msrp. Our great vendors will get it to us for cheaper, then that, and maybe we will get a nice big group buy right off the bad and get it for 550 or so?

Chris
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree. FAST has had a monopoly in that it has the only credible 90mm plastic intake. Don't get me wrong, it has it's positives-namely porting. But it is really hard to justify the cost. $1100 minimum for a new FAST and TB for 15-20hp? A cam can get you twice that, and you can get one installed and tuned for around $1400 w/ parts. Depending on the heads, you are looking at about the same price as the cam and can see similar gains. Same idea with exhaust.
When it comes down to the Fast 90/90 in respects to my TA, I view it the same as an electric water pump right now. Sure I would like one and see gains from both, but my money is better spent elsewhere at this time.
It would be nice to see someone else enter the would of 90mm plastic intakes and hopefully bring the prices down to a more feasable level. As far as power #s go, I'll believe it when I see it and make a choice from there.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I broke down and bought my ported FAST combo, I looked at the results for over 6 months from other people running similar combos and most people were making 25-30hp and 15-20 ft/lbs of torque over a ls6 intake. For me, that is comparable for a set of stainless steel longtubes with a catted y-pipe for pretty much the same cost. If there a magic bullet intake out there that increases torque over the entire rpm range from off idle to redline over an ls6 intake???

Maybe the Harrop or other individual throttle body manifolds, but

A: they have their own fitment issues because you end up throwing an airbox on each side and reduce the advantages of individual throttle bodies.

B: everyone I know that has had one has had a nightmare of a time getting it to work.

C: the customer support is marginal at best.

D: they cost over $3000.00.

So that leaves us with the FAST (ported is best) to maximize the gains over the entire rpm range. I know my low rpm, part throttle response is great now compared to before the intake.

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
I agree. FAST has had a monopoly in that it has the only credible 90mm plastic intake. Don't get me wrong, it has it's positives-namely porting. But it is really hard to justify the cost. $1100 minimum for a new FAST and TB for 15-20hp? A cam can get you twice that, and you can get one installed and tuned for around $1400 w/ parts. Depending on the heads, you are looking at about the same price as the cam and can see similar gains. Same idea with exhaust.
When it comes down to the Fast 90/90 in respects to my TA, I view it the same as an electric water pump right now. Sure I would like one and see gains from both, but my money is better spent elsewhere at this time.
It would be nice to see someone else enter the would of 90mm plastic intakes and hopefully bring the prices down to a more feasable level. As far as power #s go, I'll believe it when I see it and make a choice from there.