Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering shaft knuckle rub after new rack/pinion install

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering shaft knuckle rub after new rack/pinion install

I replaced my steering rack and pinion unit and after the install I noticed the knuckle on steering shaft closest to the rack rubs up against the driver's side motor mount bracket. I have a 1998 Z28 with an steering code of FE4/FE2. I ordered the rack from autozone.
Has anyone had a problem like this before and how did you fix it if you did?

I tried to fix the rub by lifting the female end of the steering knuckle up on the rack male input shaft and the rub is not there anymore. I am concerned now that this connection only uses 1/2 of the length of the rack male end and may not be safe.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a little bit of adjustment to be had at the firewall. You could loosen the three bolts inside the car that hold the steering shaft and use a prybar to nudge it to the side and then retighten the bolts.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I looked for those three bolts and noticed that the head of the bolt is accessed from the cabin side of the firewall...i.e. too much work for this project. I ended up filing down part of the knucke so the rub stopped. Access to the motor mount to file the rub location is nearly impossible. Thanks for the help.