Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victor Jr EFI vs. Fast 90

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the same cam on my Vic jr as I did on my Fast.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

In my opinion this is a case where the hardcore drag racers have done more testing than the shops (that sell to the average guy) have. Yeah maybe a few tests are run back to back, but without due time dialing in a combo, it's not a fair comparison. There is tons of research on cam profiles that work well with the LSX style intake, but not necessarily the carb-style or sheetmetal. I'm sure the cam profiles for a fast won't optimize a carb-style. And some of the direct comparisons are a PORTED FAST vs. BOX STOCK VIC, and thats not really fair either.

I don't really expect a manufacturer or tuner like AFR to find the best combo for a Trickflow head in the same sense the mainstream porters of the Fast 90 to dial in a carb style or sheetmetal intake setup.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if running a 408 with cam specs as mine, somewhere in my link in sig, all i can say is... ive run both manifolds and the gmpp works better all around. you have to experiment on your own.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn I don't have either one! But I know which one I think I could paint black and still pass emissions. I mean y'all a talking the only time your car is street legal is when you have it on the trailer pulling it to the track. There is really only one choice for a duel purpose late model Camaro. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to get Tony to port me one up. Thoses coil covers with your logo on them are bitchin Ron.

Last edited by NC98Z; 08-17-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

My car passes emissions and is street legal. Up intill last year I drove it to the track.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2c5s took a cleaned up FAST (not fully ported by myself) and tested it against a lightly cleaned up Vic Jr with a 90' elbow (the biggest drawback of that style intake) and on a fairly good sized engine (402 CID) that made in the low 500's to the rearwheel (obviously a healthy appetite for air) lost 40 ft/lbs or TQ and lost 10 rwhp. The single plane showed a loss at every RPM point, and was really soft in the lower part of the curve.

Assuming the need to run a 90' elbow for fitment reasons, on most street/strip LS1 engines regardless of displacement, my contention is still firm that a ported FAST is simply a better overall piece in most applications. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I bet you nine out of ten people reading this considering the swap would not only ET and go faster with a properly modified FAST, but also have a significant increase in the bottom end (beneficial to a street car) due to the longer runner design. A heavy car (think F-Body) will benefit even more from the improved low amd midrange grunt helping it to 60 foot and get out of the hole with alot more authority.

Perhaps Chris (2c5s) will see this and respond as well...

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

9/10 cars might be better off with the fast 90. But the fastest cars 9/10 might be better off with a carb style or sheetmetal if it's all out setup. A guy that is driving his car once out of every two weeks with thousands of dollars dumped into his setup probably isn't really a daily driver and low-end torque and driveability aren't his primary concern, it's ET.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

I agree with you guys. But at the power level I'm at I did not notice the TQ loss as my 60ft improved. Do I drive the car daily, no. Can I? Yep. Bottom line is unless you have a high winding max effert N/A motor or a FI setup stay with the Fast. Tony port a Vic jr and flow it, you'd be supprised.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Will a ported fast hold 18 to 20 psi of boost? That is my biggest factor in order to take the mamo ported plunge.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Tony/Ron: I have a similar question to above...does all of the Fast v. Victor argument go out the window when we discuss forced induction? I am currently running an unported Victor w/elbow on my turbo 408. Looking at the graphs posted, I'm wondering if I am not leaving 50hp/tq on the table with my setup...or if it does not apply in my application?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by GoatChs
Tony/Ron: I have a similar question to above...does all of the Fast v. Victor argument go out the window when we discuss forced induction? I am currently running an unported Victor w/elbow on my turbo 408. Looking at the graphs posted, I'm wondering if I am not leaving 50hp/tq on the table with my setup...or if it does not apply in my application?

I believe the pressurized intact tract will mask alot of the 90' elbow Vic Jr.'s short comings but the power curve will still show a similar trend. Down quite abit on TQ in the lower RPM's, finally getting close or possibly exceeding the FAST upstairs. With the blower your making so much power and TQ missing a little in the middle isnt as great a concern. I would be interested to see what a ported FAST would do on your set-up. It would be a cool test.

Looking good by the way....do you have a gragh of your current results you can post?

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Im thinking the vic jr will be a better choice. Ill have LME port it
Old 08-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Im thinking the vic jr will be a better choice. Ill have LME port it
I know of a couple of people running my ported FAST at 15PSI without issue (and making big power), and honestly I doubt another 5 lbs would create one, but at some point a solid chunk of aluminum would be better at extremely high levels of boost (versus the three piece plastic intake).

Good luck either way....obviously if your still considering one of my intakes drop me a phone call or a quick PM.

If any of you boosted guys want to try both and have the ability to provide me with back to back dyno numbers I might be up for loaning you one for the test. Don't forget work would be involved more than likely with fabbing two different inlets due to the different TB locations. Of course in the end you would only pay for the ported FAST if you were happy with the results. Again, PM me if that is a feasible situation for anyone so we can further discuss the details.

In fact I would consider the test with anyone running a Vic Jr N/A.....Im more confident I wont see that FAST back in that comparison.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I have a Sheetmetal intake. Works Awsome! If anyone cares, LOL
Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I know of a couple of people running my ported FAST at 15PSI without issue (and making big power), and honestly I doubt another 5 lbs would create one, but at some point a solid chunk of aluminum would be better at extremely high levels of boost (versus the three piece plastic intake).

Good luck either way....obviously if your still considering one of my intakes drop me a phone call or a quick PM.

If any of you boosted guys want to try both and have the ability to provide me with back to back dyno numbers I might be up for loaning you one for the test. Don't forget work would be involved more than likely with fabbing two different inlets due to the different TB locations. Of course in the end you would only pay for the ported FAST if you were happy with the results. Again, PM me if that is a feasible situation for anyone so we can further discuss the details.

In fact I would consider the test with anyone running a Vic Jr N/A.....Im more confident I wont see that FAST back in that comparison.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony I have a dynojet at my disposal 24-7 I have a unported vic jr in stock at the shop and can sen the intake to be ported by you or anyone and do the testing inhouse same car same conditions. Let me see what I can work out and how fast I can get all the parts in. I will pm you if I can get this done soon. I am looking at 60 days from now to finish my personal car.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 08-18-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Dynojet Fan

Now we're talking guys...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to run a vic jr! My friends 408 with trickflow heads picked up 18whp over the Fast setup! But all cars are different! I saw this in person so I'm sold! As far as low end torque he has a 4,000 stall so not worried about it. On ther other hand vic jr cheeper and it looks better LOL

The only i would get a fast is if i got it on a good deal

Last edited by SIC LSX; 08-19-2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

Thanks,
Tony
I have a unported fast and a unported vic jr w elbow. You willing to port both? Then we can make a deal via pm's on the port work? LMK and I can get the items to you ASAP. Test car will be a 2003 corvette LME 402,Novi 2000 etc. Car has allready been in the 800's. Tuning will be handled inhouse and intakes will be swapped on the dyno
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I have a unported fast and a unported vic jr w elbow. You willing to port both? Then we can make a deal via pm's on the port work? LMK and I can get the items to you ASAP. Test car will be a 2003 corvette LME 402,Novi 2000 etc. Car has allready been in the 800's. Tuning will be handled inhouse and intakes will be swapped on the dyno

Lets see if Mr. Mamo comes through... or possibly Ron...

This will put the debate to rest once and for all...

JM, I dont think tony will port the intakes for free do you....??
Old 08-19-2007, 10:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by VH5150
Lets see if Mr. Mamo comes through... or possibly Ron...

This will put the debate to rest once and for all...

JM, I dont think tony will port the intakes for free do you....??
No but I figure he would give me a better deal to do both of them since I own a vic jr and my buddie has a fast and we are willing to do the testing. This way you have the same person porting the intakes BTW I have never once got anything for free when it came to performance

Quick Reply: Victor Jr EFI vs. Fast 90