Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boom tubes!! help me pick setup!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boom tubes!! help me pick setup!

I want a setup like this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....87&postcount=1

MY GOAL:
1. unique and subtle - i like the sleeper look
2. sounds good not too loud
3. flows good without lowend loss

So my question about boom tubes. I want them to exit right before the rear tire on each side of the car. I will be running this off ARH or QTP 1 3/4 LT's. Its only a bolt on car now, but a few years down the road i will have a h/c setup. Its a daily driver - so it can't be too loud. What i need from you LS1tech guys is to suggest what i need to put as far as cats/ mufflers to make the car liveable. I want it loud, but i don't want headaches and tons of tickets. (i already have enough of those) I want it about as loud as a friends LS1 fbody with LT's w/cats and a cutout in the I-pipe. I figure that boom tubes w/ cats will be equally as loud as a catted Y with a cutout in the I pipe. Will i even need mufflers? Because i don't even know it there will be room as there isn't much pipe between the collector and where the crushed part of the boom tube starts.

Also - are any of the Mr. Gas boom tubes stainless?? I'm getting stainless LT's and would like fully stainless exhaust. I don't want the boom tubes the be rusty. How heavy - who makes the lightest ones??

Sorry for the novel guys. Thanks!!! - Fred
Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's going to be loud as ****! Probably as loud as open headers almost. The boom tubes have a megaphone effect. I like that setup though! You shouldn't have any problems fitting in cats, they will quiet the car down quite a bit. You probably won't be able to fit any mufflers. The one's you can fit won't quiet the car down much. I'd also fit in a cross-over pipe, like a h-pipe set-up.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

summit sells inserts, a couple different versions, that you tack weld into your collectors (or any part of the exhaust, like after a cutout). might help some to quiet it down.

EDIT: i would definately look into a crossover pipe of some sort
Old 08-26-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Them bitchs are LOUD! I've got a friend with a set on a SS Monte Carlo and they will hurt your ears if your anywhere near the exaust tip! I would try and throw a little muffler in there somehow. I've got a Dynatech Supermaxx System with a 3" DMH electric cutout under the rear seat. My noise level is nothing compared with the Boom Tube setup!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

i'm kinda new to duals - how would having a H or X help me? Why do i need one as opposed to just going right out the side.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

scavenging, and sound refinement.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
scavenging, and sound refinement.
thanks! I want to be able to remove my trans (M6) still with this exhaust. Should i just look into a custom X or H to allow trans removal.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, that would be SO loud, I've got 3 inch TD's into Borla XR1's and its rediculously loud.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Dude, that would be SO loud, I've got 3 inch TD's into Borla XR1's and its rediculously loud.
yea, but do you have cats? I plan on having cats which cut down on a lot of noise and probably mufflers too.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by '99bluez
thanks! I want to be able to remove my trans (M6) still with this exhaust. Should i just look into a custom X or H to allow trans removal.
put 3 bolt flanges on the H pipe so you can take it out as needed. chances are you wont have the transmission out but a time or two.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, but do you have cats? I plan on having cats which cut down on a lot of noise and probably mufflers too.
Cats will not cut down on a lot of noise...it'll refine the noise, but I assure you, the volume will still be there.

You need to do some serious research, or you need to refine your overall goals. The exhaust setup you are proposing is unique, but not subtle, and will probably sound okay, but will be loud as all hell.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car will sound great with true duals and cats -- even better than without. It will be loud as anyones as well.

Stop with this "boom tube" bullshit though.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

put 3 bolt flanges on the H pipe so you can take it out as needed. chances are you wont have the transmission out but a time or two.
thanks! Yea i took my trans out a few months ago when my slave took a **** - so i wanted to make sure that i would have a way to have it out in the future.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

i think boomtubes with an H pipe and no cats, and an insert in the flat section would be awesome.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Cats will not cut down on a lot of noise...it'll refine the noise, but I assure you, the volume will still be there.

You need to do some serious research, or you need to refine your overall goals. The exhaust setup you are proposing is unique, but not subtle, and will probably sound okay, but will be loud as all hell.
thanks for the advice! So if i ran some cats and mufflers in a H or X pipe then it should be liveable right? From what i've read magnaflow 4 X 9 mufflers seems to be the quietest.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

i think boomtubes with an H pipe and no cats, and an insert in the flat section would be awesome.
sorry, but what do you mean by an insert - something like the plates on a adjustable borla catback?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Stop with this "boom tube" bullshit though.
whats your problem with my idea??
Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.summitracing.com/catalogs...yaug/065f.html

those are what i was talking about.
the inserts made by Car Chemistry or Dynatech.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the advice! So if i ran some cats and mufflers in a H or X pipe then it should be liveable right? From what i've read magnaflow 4 X 9 mufflers seems to be the quietest.
In general, the larger the muffler, the more quiet your exhaust will be. You really have to see what is tolerable to you...my exhaust has no cats, an x-pipe, two bullet mufflers after the axle. To most, it is really loud (especially at WOT), but to me, I like it.

Two things to consider:

1. Tucking large mufflers under these cars can be very difficult, especially in dual exhaust configurations.

2. Keep in mind that any engine modifications you do will usually increase the volume of your exhaust (especially when adding a cam). A nice sounding exhaust on a stock internal LS1 can quickly get out of hand when you stick a cam in there.

The one gentleman that told you to drop the boom tube idea is probably coming at it from the standpoint that those are the "mufflers" that are used in NASCAR. I would doubt that anyone would consider a NASCAR car to be quiet or subtle in any way, shape, or form.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
In general, the larger the muffler, the more quiet your exhaust will be. You really have to see what is tolerable to you...my exhaust has no cats, an x-pipe, two bullet mufflers after the axle. To most, it is really loud (especially at WOT), but to me, I like it.

Two things to consider:

1. Tucking large mufflers under these cars can be very difficult, especially in dual exhaust configurations.

2. Keep in mind that any engine modifications you do will usually increase the volume of your exhaust (especially when adding a cam). A nice sounding exhaust on a stock internal LS1 can quickly get out of hand when you stick a cam in there.

The one gentleman that told you to drop the boom tube idea is probably coming at it from the standpoint that those are the "mufflers" that are used in NASCAR. I would doubt that anyone would consider a NASCAR car to be quiet or subtle in any way, shape, or form.
1. I know that the mufflers will be a hard fit, so i know lots of custom work will be involved.

2. Yea, by the time i will have the cash for a cam the car wont be a DD anymore so the extra noise from the cam won't be a problem.

Ok, yea i know that boom tubes are meant for nascar. I don't want them for their crazy *** nascar loudness. I just love the look of them and thought they would be a good choice for ground clearance on a side exit system.

Thanks for your guys help. So i think i've made some progress on the idea.
Revised with your guys ideas.
1 3/4" LT's
custom X or H with 3 bolt flanges
cats and magnaflow mufflers
and of course the boom tubes
hope it can all fit!!

More ideas are welcome!!! Thanks Guys!!!!

Quick Reply: boom tubes!! help me pick setup!