Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOLANT CAI and RAM AIR HOOD ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ditched the volant cuz the rad support sucks on it
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

got mine on yesterday it fit just fine all the mounting holes lined up. the only issue i see having with it is getting it to completely seal against the hood
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Sealing it as much as possible with the hood is a must. I ran 2 data logs on pretty much identical 50 degree days, cruising at 70 with a wide open throttle run in the middle; one before the weatherstripping, one after. Average IAT on the first one was 65.3 degrees, peaking at 77. Average IAT on the second was 55.2, peaking at 56. I don't know how much performance gain comes from a 10 degree IAT difference, but sealing it up clearly made a difference and basically eliminated the hot underhood air.

The lack of radiator support is also a valid point. I haven't seen any sign of it being a problem, but I didn't like how much I was able to move it after the Volant install.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I love my Volant and the install was a breeze, everything lined up perfect and it seals perfect to a stock SS hood.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok what about people like me? I have a base Trans Am with the smaller lower air lead, but I do have a debaffle ws6 hood, should I get the Boland or should I get the FTRA or SSRA instead or a combination of both or what, because I know I don't have the highrise ram air lower intake like a ws6 would so I'm not getting as much air inside from the nostrils
Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588
im not arguing that the debaffled hood and sealed air box isint cost effective versus the FTRA or SSRA, (it is) im arguing the cost effectiveness of the volant with the sealed box. unless you get it really cheap, the SSRA or FTRA is the way to go.
Here's a thought. I have a Ssra on my car along with the k&n fipk. I've always wanted a shroud around my filter but have never had the time to fab anything up. Also, my radiator support piece is rusty and nasty lookin so im gettin rid of it. I have a volant cold air intake on its way to me from Maryland Speed. My plan is to use both, the way I did with the k&n. you guys the have the volant, is there room to cut under the filters to allow the Ssra to come up through? If so, I think this will be the best of all options. Opinions?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronware76
Here's a thought. I have a Ssra on my car along with the k&n fipk. I've always wanted a shroud around my filter but have never had the time to fab anything up. Also, my radiator support piece is rusty and nasty lookin so im gettin rid of it. I have a volant cold air intake on its way to me from Maryland Speed. My plan is to use both, the way I did with the k&n. you guys the have the volant, is there room to cut under the filters to allow the Ssra to come up through? If so, I think this will be the best of all options. Opinions?
If there is room for it, sure it would work. But I don't see it being any better than a traditional lid setup.

Imo, the 2 cone filters in the way would probably just create turbulance you wouldn't have with a lid setup.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588
If there is room for it, sure it would work. But I don't see it being any better than a traditional lid setup.

Imo, the 2 cone filters in the way would probably just create turbulance you wouldn't have with a lid setup.
That could be true, however, I've never had a lid setup. I bought the car with the fipk on it from a dealer. I'm just gonna make sure it's sealed against the hood and give it all the cold air I can. I'll be getting retuned on a dyno in a couple months but it will be hard to tell the gains because I'm adding a fast 92mm setup and I put a flow master merge in my exhaust also. All together, it should be a decent improvement over my current 440 rwhp.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bring up a thread from 2 years ago and you guys answer a question from 2 years ago instead of my relevant current question....
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
Ok what about people like me? I have a base Trans Am with the smaller lower air lead, but I do have a debaffle ws6 hood, should I get the Boland or should I get the FTRA or SSRA instead or a combination of both or what, because I know I don't have the highrise ram air lower intake like a ws6 would so I'm not getting as much air inside from the nostrils
I have a ws6 ram air and I personally think it is a waste of money with a ram air hood.Know with a regular hood I would see where it would work.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Launching!

I bring up a thread from 2 years ago and you guys answer a question from 2 years ago instead of my relevant current question....
Sorry mr Phil, I would think with the standard non ram air hood, it wouldn't fit. I don't think you'd have the clearance needed for it to fit. The only way to know for sure would be to call volant and ask. If it does fit, then I could see a gain from it.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry mr Phil, I would think with the standard non ram air hood, it wouldn't fit. I don't think you'd have the clearance needed for it to fit. The only way to know for sure would be to call volant and ask. If it does fit, then I could see a gain from it.
I have a ws6 hood but a non ws6 lower air lid
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Launching!

I have a ws6 hood but a non ws6 lower air lid
In that case I think you'd be fine. I believe everything comes out when you install the volant. Your non ws6 lower air box would be removed. I'll know for sure once I receive mine next week sometime
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In that case I think you'd be fine. I believe everything comes out when you install the volant. Your non ws6 lower air box would be removed. I'll know for sure once I receive mine next week sometime
awesome thank you, I think it would probably be smarter and cheaper to buy the Volant instead of buying a ram air lower air lid and then also buying an SLP lid on top of that
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Teching In

I had the Volant CAI on my 1998 Trans Am before I had it on my now 2002 Trans Am. Both cars are non WS6 but have fiberglass WS6 hoods. I didn't look much into just how they both sealed up properly but on my 1998 Trans Am, it made a HUGE difference! It felt faster, more responsive...
On my 2002 Trans Am, I also felt the difference, but not as much. lol The 02 T/A was feeling really sluggish with the stock intake and well, now it's not so much. You really only notice the difference when you're going 50MPH and beyond. With that said, I think it's not a total waste of money if you get it cheap! I got mine for just $180, new.
But I was wondering if the hood is not a true or functional WS6 hood, does it matter with the Volant at all?

Quick Reply: VOLANT CAI and RAM AIR HOOD ???