Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making my own true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my own true duals?

How hard would it be to make my own true duals using this x-pipe kit and buying dynomax bullet mufflers. I figured if I went ahead and bought this kit all I'd have to do it get it welded and figure out where to hang it from under the car. Plus buying it this way and making it myself will only cost around $260 and I can have someone hook it up for $50-$75, compared to $500 plus that other people charge for them.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: Making my own true duals?

Interesting post.. I'm in the same boat.. I want to make my own dual x-pipe setup as well to save some $$$.

drgas.com also has x-pipe and might put together a kit for f-bodies as well.. send him an e-mail and see what he says.

http://www.drgas.com/street-cat.html

The x-pipe that Dr gas has for the Fbody is a more close outlet vs the one on jegs...

You know, I'll e-mail dr gas and see what he says.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Launching!

shop around man, especially if $260 is your cost. I've got a muffler shop here in Ohio that is going to do my 3" true dual exhaust for $300. That's with him supplying the X, the dynomax 12" bullets. I wouldn't even crawl under the car to save $40 on exhaust (which is never fun) work.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.stainlessworks.net/ a sponsor has everything you should need.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

*bump*

lets not let this one fall through the cracks.. perhaps one of us should make a writeup.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Launching!

If you do this, can you have some muffler shope enter the pipes through a bend machine. IF you had the data for how to bend these right, I could sell a bunch and make us some bucks! If you do this, I will give you $20 for every exhaust system I sell, provided the test system checks out to fit perfectly!
I have a shop that wants to do this, but they are not convinced it will be worth the effort. They just don't understand us f-body nuts! I think a good H-pipe would add 7-8hp and 11-12 torque for slightly modified cars: I.E. headers, intake lid, TB and then exhaust. All the prior h-pipe date supports this. A recent article in Super Chevy and an older article in Chevy High Performance supports it too. By the way, H-pipes are better then x-pipes for low end torque, which is what we want!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Better yet, do a true dual exhaust using an oval pipe for better clearance!!! Now you are talking!
Old 06-06-2003, 06:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

isn't oval pipe more expensive??? Your X will still be round which might negate the oval pipe.

I don't think there is need for bending of pipe.. all the pipe is already bent out there somewhere.. we just need to buy what we need.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

A couple of "S" bends from Jegs will do the trick if you need clearance to parts on the car. I think they were like 20.00 a set for 3". The info is under Exhaust, Accessories.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I plan on buying hooker lt's, the x-pipe kit and bullet mufflers from jegs sometime this month.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in the same boat as you guys. I was also concerned with ground clearance with the true duals.

I ended up buying some 3" mandrel bends from summit $30 ea., a flowmaster dual 3" in to single 3.5" outlet merge collector for $45, a Dynomax 6" race muffler (3.5" in & out -I think it was $70) and a 3" dump which was about $20. I used a hydraulic press to lightly squish the driver's side pipe where it needs to clear the body bracing, and had to beat out the trans tunnel to clear the 6" muffler, but I have stock ground clearance, it sounds great, and weighs less than a true dual, and costs less (just the x pipe on a true dual is like $90). I don't think the squishes affected my HP #'s as you can see from my sig- just use a block with a nice radius to support the pipe during squishing, and use a raiused block to do the squishes and it'll still flow good (the pipe bows out to the sides so you don't lose much cross section). My HP #'s are in the sig...
Old 06-12-2003, 02:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

http://www.chitownsyty.com/gallery/v...n17&page=1

That's a good page with some custom true dual pics.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As soon as I get my kit I plan on making my true duel set up right in my drive way. I will never ever pay anyone 1 cent to do anything to my car. I do all my own custom work and installs no one will every treat it as good as you will. I do plan I taking a lot of pics and a general right up.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What kit Mustang Hat'r ?

The hedmen kit from jegs looks really nice.. just what we need.. My concern is how will it clear thigns like the trans, and what are its dimensions?

Here is a page with a Dr. Gas x-pipe kit..
http://ken.lowrance.com/images/DualE...ualExhaust.htm
He said the kit costed him $279 and $62 for the mufflers.. not bad at all.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin Sutton, real long wait actualy still waiting.