Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product - WS6 Functional Ram Air Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just what i've been looking for!!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Looks pretty good..
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
We wouldn't agree

The FTRA will outperform any system breathing through the hood. The scoop is just too low a profile to be of much use. There is a boundry layer of air that doesn't touch the hood until the base of the windshield. The only way a forward facing hood scoop will work properly is if it is much higher off the hood (like NHRA racers do).
I am of the same opinion that you had previously. I currently run your FTRA and lid. I love them both. I would really like to see some testing against your FTRA and maybe even a test running them both. If you can actually show an increase using a combination of the two, I will probably step up to the plate with this also, just as I did with your lid when it first came out.

Galen
Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If someone with a firehawk wants to try the kit, we can give you a discount to try and report back to us.

However, if the kit needs to be cut or modified in any way, it cannot be returned if altered.

Email us at sales@fasttoys.net if you are interested.

Thanks
Interested..

I sent you an email.

-John
Old 11-01-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only thing i'm not digging is the gasket/foam stuff on the inside of the hood.... I gotta think there's some sort of composite material out there that would make for a much cleaner piece in that area...? The rest is very nice though...
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

compared to the BGRA, the BG had a funnels that eliminated the turbulence of the air coming in through the hood and used only the upper "nostrils". This one seem to use all four but the upper ones the baffles are just removed and the diverter plate used for the bottom "nostrils seems to need a FRA mod to the front half of the lower airbox.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

Kits are in stock and ready to ship
Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, this looks really cool. I noticed you said this was for the ram air hood, but another guy posted a pic with a sleed hood. Would this work with the normal hood?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 212 Likes on 179 Posts

It will work if you cut openings in the hood brace of your sleek hood.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I thought. I've noticed before the bottom part looks the same on each hood.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sold, im lookin for a credit card to use right now
Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

Looks good, I'd consider buying one for sure based on the pressurization numbers and gains at higher speeds.

Can someone explain how it works though?? I must be half asleep because I can't see the real difference between this system and having the baffles removed...except this has a metal plate and foam insulation.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cumbias
compared to the BGRA, the BG had a funnels that eliminated the turbulence of the air coming in through the hood and used only the upper "nostrils". This one seem to use all four but the upper ones the baffles are just removed and the diverter plate used for the bottom "nostrils seems to need a FRA mod to the front half of the lower airbox.

Where are the nostril funnels, like in the BGRA KIT ? I think this kit needs them to really be effective.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also i really dont see a point in using the lower nostrils. the hood latch piece that hangs down blocks those anyway.

if this kit was just to use the upper nostrils and sealed like the BG kit i would buy it right now...
Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by noriceinside
also i really dont see a point in using the lower nostrils. the hood latch piece that hangs down blocks those anyway.

if this kit was just to use the upper nostrils and sealed like the BG kit i would buy it right now...
We tested just sealing the top of the hood and it gained no pressure over using all 4 openings. The big advantage to this is it lets all of the rain water drain out, and there is no restriction with big hp motors on the launch and at lower speeds since the air can come in all 4 nostrils and not just the top 2. And there is a good 1/2" between the plate and the bottom of the hood, so there is plenty of room there to get enough airflow.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Wow, this looks really cool. I noticed you said this was for the ram air hood, but another guy posted a pic with a sleed hood. Would this work with the normal hood?
You can still use the bottom plate to get cold air to your air box.

Originally Posted by wildta
Where are the nostril funnels, like in the BGRA KIT ? I think this kit needs them to really be effective.
We tested those and there was no gain in pressure so we never bothered making them.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

We wouldn't agree

[QUOTE]
The FTRA will outperform any system breathing through the hood. The scoop is just too low a profile to be of much use. There is a boundry layer of air that doesn't touch the hood until the base of the windshield. The only way a forward facing hood scoop will work properly is if it is much higher off the hood (like NHRA racers do).[QUOTE]

I ordered the BGRA kit a few years ago, after installing it my car went from 13.3xx @ 107.10 mph to 13.1 @ 109.xx mph in the 1/4 .

The other piece that dresses it up and uses the bottom nostrils of the hood, ($95) I can't see that working to direct air into lid, when hood shuts,the bulk of inside hood sits in front of bottom nostrils.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

thats not fare
Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
thats not fare
Old 11-03-2007, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

The FTRA has been tested to work well on all 98-02 Fbodies. Fbodies are designed to be bottom breathers and there is huge amount of airflow coming up off the lower air deflector. However, we have found that many WS6 customers prefer to retain the functionality of their hoods. With that being said, the JAAM Ram Air Kit accomplishes that and increases performance.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 212 Likes on 179 Posts

Well said. Then there are Firebird owners with standard hoods who, for various reasons, prefer not to be bottom breathers. For us, the filler panel makes for a nice upgrade in getting cold air through the nostrils to the airbox.

Quick Reply: New Product - WS6 Functional Ram Air Kit!