Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutout= loss of low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:12 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cutout tested on my 12 sec/11 sec/10 sec WS6 always picked up ET/MPH
They work,Nuff said....
Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think about it can you breath better with your mouth open wide or just slightly??? answer that question and thats how your car feels
Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I picked up 6 more hp and 5 more torque on a dynojet. So i know that my duel cut outs help. Others have said similar numbers as well. Oh By the way my increase with he cutouts open was done on a car that already had a really free flowing exhaust
Old 11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry dmoney06...close but no cigar. humans and engines vary in one very key way, our lungs can only ever work in one "direction," if you will, at once. we can only breathe in OR breathe out, never both at the same time. engines, on the other hand, can have both the intake and exhaust valves open at the same time, allowing air that should stay in the cylinder to escape thru the open exhaust valve due to lack of adequate back pressure keeping it in there until the valve closes. it is this lack of back pressure and subsequently escaping fuel air charge that causes the lack of daily drivable (low rpm) torque.

but at higher rpms, the lack of back pressure has the opposite affect; allowing more air into the cylinder due to lack of exhaust gas pressure trying to push the charge back thru the intake valve and into the manifold runers.

the overall net affect? with tuning, the power band will grow very slightly and move farther up the rpm range.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Would you like to make a wager on that comment to back it up...i am stock catback
You have a stock catback. A cutout will help you a lot. I'm talking about a cutout over a good-flowing catback. I have a Corsa catback - it flows VERY well, and paired with stock manifolds and 2.73's, that's why the cutout hurt me. I'm talking about in lightly modified vehicles here, which are the majority of users on ls1tech.

yes i do agree with you the gain over a good catback already installed wont be much but over a stock exhaust...or in your case losing 2mph or 2 tenths...
Again, 5 runs over 2 days, I couldn't do better than a 13.79 @ 105.x. I was previously running a 13.60 @ 105, and that was on a warmer night. You can see my mph increased, meaning I am pulling harder on the top end, but my ET's suffered because the cutout was making me bog on the launch more.

yes around town you might see a loss in torque
That's the only argument here, thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Galen
Just curious, now that you have 3.42 gears, what are your results now?
Now that I have headers and 3.42's, the cutout will probably do a lot less damage or maybe even help me over the Corsa catback alone at the track. My argument is on a stock manifolds, aftermarket catback, 2.73 geared car. Now that my whole exhaust setup and gearing is totally different, I'm sure the story will be totally different. I need a tune badly, now, though.

I'm still very confident the cutout is costing me some grunt off idle around town, though. But I like the noise...
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Mike00ss
I picked up 6 more hp and 5 more torque on a dynojet. So i know that my duel cut outs help.
You're not understanding something. It doesn't matter if you picked up peak numbers. The fact is, the open cutout pushes the torque curve up in RPM's. Yes, you'll gain torque up high (which results in a gain in hp since hp is just a calculation of torque x RPM), but you'll lose it down low. Peak numbers mean nothing. Tell me your torque numbers at 1200 rpm's. I bet your dyno sheet doesn't show them.

This thread is called "cutout = loss of low end torque," not "cutout = loss of peak torque." This is what I've been screaming but no one reads
Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

i love my cutout
Old 11-14-2007, 05:55 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
You're not understanding something. It doesn't matter if you picked up peak numbers. The fact is, the open cutout pushes the torque curve up in RPM's. Yes, you'll gain torque up high (which results in a gain in hp since hp is just a calculation of torque x RPM), but you'll lose it down low. Peak numbers mean nothing. Tell me your torque numbers at 1200 rpm's. I bet your dyno sheet doesn't show them.

This thread is called "cutout = loss of low end torque," not "cutout = loss of peak torque." This is what I've been screaming but no one reads
Again, look at the dyno sheet I have posted. ZERO LOSS of torque anywhere in the WHOLE rpm range.....period.

Now I understand if you have a really free-flowing exhaust cat-back then sure a cut-out may not help out that much.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Again, look at the dyno sheet I have posted. ZERO LOSS of torque anywhere in the WHOLE rpm range.....period.

Now I understand if you have a really free-flowing exhaust cat-back then sure a cut-out may not help out that much.

Peace,
Craig.
How can you say that? You have nothing to compare it to. You can't say "zero loss of torque" if you have nothing to use as a benchmark. Give us a dyno of the car wit the cutout closed on the exact same day on the exact same dyno, and let's see it start from idle, not from 2000+ rpm's. Then we'll make a judgment.

Quick Reply: cutout= loss of low end torque