Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wisper Lid or K&N Induction System?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 01:48 PM
Teching In

Default Wisper Lid or K&N Induction System?

Hey guys, I just got a 98ss for my graduation and I was looking over the magazines and the web sites for mods and induction is going to be my first. I haven't heard very much about the Fuel Injection Performance Kit by K&N all I've heard about is the Lids. Is there an advantage of spending $100 more on the FIPK?

any feedback would be great
Old 06-18-2003 | 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: Wisper Lid or K&N Induction System?

Get a holley powershot filter, and a texas speed and performance lid. They are a sponsor>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-18-2003 | 08:01 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Ditto, there's mixed feelings about the FIPK. Since you have an SS, it's a viable option. If I were you I'd just go for a Holley Powershot Filter and TSP Lid, possibly carbon fiber, or clear.
Rob
Old 06-18-2003 | 09:00 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

The lids are proven. Get those. Then get an FTRA and be done with it.

At one point, the FIPK was also proven to add good HP, until they closed the hood and tested. At that point it started sucking in hot air from inside the engine bay and robbed HP. The lids will also suck in hot air from the inside (unless you have an SS which helps it a tad bit in cold air induction).

However, with the lid, you still get to do the Free Ram Air mod (www.installuniversity.com) or the more effective Fast Toys Ram Air system ("FTRA" - www.fasttoys.net).
Old 06-18-2003 | 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Get a lid and a cold air kit. Check out the Super Sucker Ram Air(SSRA). Cartek is now selling them for $199. With both of these I gained 24rwhp.
Old 06-18-2003 | 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, that's a damn nice car to get for graduation!
Old 06-19-2003 | 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd second the Texas Speed and Performance lid... That and get a Holley Powershot filter and you'll be good to go. Make sure you do the free ram air mod too (www.installuniversity.com). You should also check out the SSRA or FTRA. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2003 | 11:22 PM
On The Tree

I had a Direct flow lid and replaced it with a fipk and what a difference. The car pulls some much stronger with the fipk. I recently had to take the car into the dealer for work and installed the lid since dealers don't care about lids and driving there and back the car felt much slower. I had to really gas the car to get moving unlike with the fipk. I got mine for only $259+ shipping. PM me is you want to know where I got it.
Old 06-19-2003 | 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

I would vote for a cold air induction (fast toys ram air, SLP CAI, etc.), a texas speed and performance lid, and a holley or K&N filter. That is what I have, just installed the lid yesterday and ran her today. MUCH better than the stock lid and definately worth it