Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nasty rotten egg smell???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...battery put in and drove to the gas station and back. smell is gone! but i think maybe its running a little rich. exhaust smells like it i think. however...i would not suggest buying the 99 cent battery bolts from o'reillys...i stripped one out, lol. good thing it comes with 2... going tomorrow to get my alt. checked and look for better battery bolts. tried to install the system that came with the car and the power cable that goes on the positive terminal was what stripped that bolt.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

got my alt. checked and it was fine. guess it was just a bad battery or something.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets hope so, because that exact same thing happend to me. My car smelled like rotten eggs, so I replaced the battery because they said my alternator was fine, but I still had a feeling that it was the problem, a couple weeks later the battery exploded, destroying the engine bay with acid. Guess what, it was the alternator overcharging the battery. Dont worry guys, it wasn't an f-body!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

I say Battery is the smell..............these newish [10 yrs old] cats don't smell like eggs anymore....not like in the 80's and 70's....