Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Descreening MAF?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and as for hard to tune without the screen, BS! hard to tune with the slp maf yes. without the screen no different. done it, it works
Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
So if the screen is important why did gm start leaving it off of the Z06 corvettes starting in 02? Also your car is going to pull air in to the motor in a straight line anyway, it would be necessary if it were going through a bend such as in the GTO air induction system where it comes in from the side of the car then makes a 90degree turn to the motor. Personally, i removed mine. Ill also add that i didnt really feel any difference before or after, also i took my maf apart to remove it, made it much easier to do, but as everyone above has said, once you take it out its trash and will never work again.
It was recalibrated for it ... Its very simple...
Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

i didnt know that (2HP)
Old 11-21-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THEBRAD
and as for hard to tune without the screen, BS! hard to tune with the slp maf yes. without the screen no different. done it, it works
Mine was giving me hell... Put a screened one back on and walaa... cleaned its self up... Just my personal expeirience though...others may have better luck..
Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

what did u use as a tuning device? used hp tuners here. and did u tune on an slp maf?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

and yeah 2 hp, ull never feel it but i guess if ur going for stock car vs stock car 2 hp MIGHT make a dif lol
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

youll notice a bit of better throttle response,
if you looking for free hp do all the free mods at 1 time they add up to about 25hp if you do all of them
Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Wow... I thought you would be smarter than that... LMAO!!!!
The bellow is behind the Maf.. the meters are in the Maf where it gets read. The screen straightens it out.. The other Maf's you mention are calibrated without the screen.. Do you think GM put them in for fun ? Look at that picture you posted see where the bellow is ? Geezzz... Besides this was a good free mod for LT1's not LS1's
To the Original poster... Ask your tuner or a shop around you.. I had lots of issues when it came time to tune my car...
No, I thought you'd be smarter than that dude. The air DOES not need to be straight to be read, hence the newer MAF's don't have one. And no most DON'T need to be recalibrated for the extra air flow.

The mod works GREAT for any damn car out there, airflow restriction does not help by any means. Hell lets throw an EGR back on the these cars, and how about a air silencer...right?

The guy has a A4, he might need a little more fuel added...maybe. Us M6 guys get away with murder. lol

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Will doing this make the car run leaner or richer?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

It may make it run leaner. Simply put, i hope, your adding more air through the MAF, which reads and then should adjust the fuel accordingly. However your MAF may not like all that extra air coming in as the PCM is set to read the tables that were for the MAF with screen. Which is why some PCM do just fine descreening and others needs a little help. Its one of those hit or miss mods. I know i will be doing to mine but iv got tons of bolts on and getting a dyno tune and running a dry shot. With dry shot i dont want the screen hindering the nitrous flow through the MAF to read.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Why not take the maf apart at the four screws and then push the screen out. That is what I did and then you do not have to worry about the damage to the resistors/heaters. Just match mark the pieces and it will go back together easily

Quick Reply: Help Descreening MAF?!?!