Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminum intake question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default aluminum intake question

I bought my car with an aluminum lingenfelter intake. I've heard that they run too hot. Would jet coating be enough to cool it? Am I really losing that much power from intake temp?thanx
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are talking about heat sink. Gm determined that nylon would be better because there would be less heatsink from the engine but also and more important to GM is that nylon is cheaper than aluminum. when they made the nylon they had to put tree post in the intake to stop some of the resonation and this reduced air flow whick also robbed the bennefit of less heat sink. To put it in simple terms your aluminum intake is fine.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Restricted User

ran a weiand for several months myself and didnt like it at all. the longer/hotter my car ran the weaker it felt. i have ran both the ls2 and fast 90 intake since getting rid of the weiand and they both out perform the aluminum intake. then again this is just my opinion. your results/opinion may be different.....
Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

are you m6 or a4 Jax?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a problem with mine. After a drive, you can pop the hood and put your hand on it without burning the skin off.. a plastic intake is hot to the touch after some hard driving as well.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:49 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

moving to external
Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Banned

We have seen large HP differences in back to back runs with an alum. intake. There is no question that the alum will hold heat far longer then pastic.

I would suggest an LS6 or F.A.S.T depending on your mods.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

i was going to get that manifold some time back untell i read some old threads on manifolds. LS6>Fast>ECT... only real reason to upgrade from an LS6 is if your running nitrous because if it backfires it will blow up the plastic manifold. big horses (need for more flow with bigger MM)...i went ahead and got an LS6 manifold
Old 11-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
We have seen large HP differences in back to back runs with an alum. intake. There is no question that the alum will hold heat far longer then pastic.
this is why i like speed inc. i think this is the first sponser/tuner (that i have seen) that has sacked up and said this.....
Old 11-22-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

yeah that was definitely the answer I was lookin for. thanks speed
Old 11-22-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The question was "Would jet coating be enough to cool it?"
Maybe if you could get the inside of the runners coated with a ceramic thermal coating or other such thermal barrier product.

What you don't want as you know is the hot aluminum intake manifold transfering heat to the incomming air. The thermal barrier coating should cut down on the rate of heat transfer big time to the incomming air compared to the bare aluminum surface and therefore keep the air cool. I liken this to a styrofoam cup with a hot cup of coffee inside. You can hold it in your hand and not feel the heat because of the thermal barrier.

However this is just theory and I don't know if it really works in the real world regarding the aluminum intake manifold. I have ask this question before on other forums and never got a good answer one way or the other.

I have this problem with my Tuned Port Injection with a lot more aluminum surface area than the LSx type intake manifold to heat up the incomming air. That is why I'm also looking into it. I don't have the plastic option.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

IC, I plan on sticking all motor for now so I might go ls6
Old 11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd believe the Heatsoke theory once I saw a dyno... until then it's all heresay...
Old 11-23-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Next they are gonna come out with plastic heads

The air is not in the manifold long enough for it to be effected. Most of the air doesnt even touch the walls of the intake either.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

I'm sure on their dyno, they did see some HP losses. Of course aluminum holds heat longer than plastic. It's simple chemistry. But..

Stationary car.. full throttle pulls.. stationary car.. more full throttle pulls.. still a stationary car, maybe with a little fan blowing on the bumper.. car sitting inside a closed off area..

No kidding there was heat soke..
Old 11-24-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Regular

lol true. im too lazy to take it off anyway.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

o.k... The numerous times we have seen the loss of HP compared to back to back runs with LS6, LS2, FAST etc must have been a fluke.

heat soak from 1 or 20 pulls compared to the plastic is heat soak correct...I promise the plastic would be far ahead of the alum.

air passing thru intake can not be affected by heat? I guess an A2A or A2W intercooler that gets heated after a pull or pass would not show HP loss since the air passing thru is not there long either?

I would not have posted results if we had not seen then ourselves.

These are our findings and we will never suggest the intake to one of our customers...sorry

have a great weekend

Last edited by LS1 SPEED; 11-24-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Restricted User

o.k... The numerous times we have seen the loss of HP compared to back to back runs with LS6, LS2, FAST etc must have been a fluke.

These are our findings and we will never suggest the intake to one of our customers...sorry

have a great weekend
i know i have spoken to a couple of other well known tuners that say the same thing. maybe if we get a few more of them to post-up this thing can finally be put to rest.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

These are our findings and we will never suggest the intake to one of our customers...

Hi Larry, not trying to call you out or anything, but i'd be interested in seeing the results for this... got any dynos for these findings?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

heat soak from 1 or 20 pulls compared to the plastic is heat soak correct...I promise the plastic would be far ahead of the alum.

air passing thru intake can not be affected by heat? I guess an A2A or A2W intercooler that gets heated after a pull or pass would not show HP loss since the air passing thru is not there long either?

have a great weekend
Right, but how would big would the difference be on a car driving around town or on the freeway? Where air is always moving by it? I'd love to have a fast 90, but I'm not interested in spending that much for an intake.

The reasons I went with the aluminum: It outflows ah LS6. It can be ported. It will resist a nitrous backfire. I can ice it down with real effects.

I'm sure after sitting in a traffic jam in 90 degree heat on I-80, I'll be down a couple HP from a plastic LS6. No one is doubting that. But you're saying large HP differences without giving any numbers or proof.

And yes, have a good weekend Larry