Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutout v. catback

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutout v. catback

ive got an '01 ls1 hooker LT/Ory and magnaflow catback. i wanted to get electric cutouts, but not sure which brand offers more performance if brand matters. or is there a catback system that is better than any cutout/ or should i go tru duals. i want my car louder, but dont wanna be pulled over by every cop. feed back s apperciated if its not too confusing thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the DMH electric cutout. I have one waiting to be installed. I like the fact I can be quiet at times and ridiculously loud at other times.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single ecutout in the I pipe is the ticket for most. Unless you are making gobs of power (not sure what the threshold is) this should be well enough.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
I would go with the DMH electric cutout. I have one waiting to be installed. I like the fact I can be quiet at times and ridiculously loud at other times.
+1!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sleeperTA
ive got an '01 ls1 hooker LT/Ory and magnaflow catback. i wanted to get electric cutouts, but not sure which brand offers more performance if brand matters. or is there a catback system that is better than any cutout/ or should i go tru duals. i want my car louder, but dont wanna be pulled over by every cop. feed back s apperciated if its not too confusing thanks.

A cutout is a cutout.....theres no performance gains that would be brand specific. If you want to go electric, theres no debate that DMH is by far the greatest quality cutout you can buy (4yr warranty too!). Lots of people go with QTP which is also a good brand. No catback system is going to out-flow a cutout. I love having a Electric cutout, its so nice when i pull up next to a cop that im able to close for a second... or on long highway trips. Good luck man!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

I am going to get a McCord Powerplate. Just google it and I think it is the first result.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Just remember if you get your car tuned with the cutout open you will run rich when you close it. Or if you get it tuned closed you will run lean with it open. I run mine open unless i see a cop because its tuned for being open. Good luck on whatever you decide... Oh and about cobras....lol, theyre toast, ate an o4 the other night with full intake and exhaust with my slipping 4l60, hahah pathetic.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

A few people on here have dyno'd their cars with and w/o the cutout open and some cat backs have only lost 2-3 RWHP through their catback. So $150 for 2-3rwhp doesnt sound like its worth it to me. But on the other hand I myself had one and the loud factor was the ****! I remember that thing would rumble the change out of my center cup holder in the console! Fun stuff with it, but I didnt gain anything from it.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

I'm w/Pntbll309... I had back to back dynos w/my cutout open & shut and gained 2 RWHP and 2 RWFtLbs ... Thats it! and by back to back, I mean within 3 minutes of each other. I HAD a Flowmaster 3" catback on my car and it was good! My restrictions I ran into were with my cats. The rear orrifi were only about 1 5/8" diameter each...thats a restriction!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

I have had a mccord powerplate.... STAY AWAY..... I ordered two and my buddy ordered 2 and they both stopped working after about 2 weeks...

Just go with the 25dollars one from summit..

Once you hear it open, you will not want to close it!!!