Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnaflow muffler

I am most likely going to just purchase a magnaflow muffler and keep my tailpipe. Also I am going to get either some pacesetter lt's or XS. Is there any real difference between just the magnaflow muffer and the magnaflow catback kit. If so how much hp would i lose getting just the muffler
Old 12-14-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

the biggest advantage to a catback is the upgrade from a 2.75" intermediate pipe to a 3" pipe. that may not sound like much, but it equals a 16% increase in volume, which is significant.

figure 12-15hp from a catback

probably 8-10 from a muffler alone...maybe.

if you're gonna do LTs...pony up for the catback
Old 12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well if you get the muffler your just getting a muffler, the catback you got everything to put it all on. And it also depends what muffler your wanting to compare to the one that comes with the catback system. And don't just settle on magnaflow, look around at other catback systems. You never know you might find another that you like more than the magnaflow. If you got the funds Corsa is always a bad-*** option.
-Joel
Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Hi Chase 22

The biggest diff with the Magnaflow, is the sound,,,they are not as loud as others that are out there,,,,when your not in it i should say. when you get on it,,it opens up with a nice muscle car sound, but its docile when your not it as much. Its literally the best of both worlds. They flow great too, so its a win-win, unless your looking for that huge loud sound, like those found with Loudmouths, etc. Im sure you pick up a cat for less than your monthly car insurance bill (sorry, couldnt resist)

Good luck with your research, and happy holidays!!

Wayne
Old 12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Yeah lol, you are right that the whole catback setup would be less then my monthly insurance note. But the muffler by itself is 180 installed while the catback is 375 uninstalled. I am already short on cash and will especially be after I buy the headers. Im just trying to gauge if the benefits of getting the whole setup are worth 200+ dollars. I plan on keeping my tips anyway
Old 12-14-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

the catback install is free if u know how to turn a wrench. its simply fitting and clamping. if u get just the muffler then u have to pay to have it welded. i say get the catback and call it a day
Old 12-15-2007, 05:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you stay stock you will not have mandrel bends nor will you have 3" pipe. I would vote do it yourself and order the full catback. Nothing worse than beating the crap out of your pipes or the underside of your car because fittament was not researched. I am pretty sure it is just as straight-forward as it sounds.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Launching!

go with the cat-back i like how mine sounds..

2 1/2 cutout open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbN3B_TS-E4
Old 12-15-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Another option would be to do the headers first and get a cutout, or just do the catback now and save for headers, I know it sucks but your better off waiting and doing it right
Old 12-15-2007, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I see that the catback includes tips. Does anyone sell the setup without tips because I would like to keep mine
Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
Hi Chase 22

The biggest diff with the Magnaflow, is the sound,,,they are not as loud as others that are out there,,,,when your not in it i should say. when you get on it,,it opens up with a nice muscle car sound, but its docile when your not it as much. Its literally the best of both worlds. They flow great too, so its a win-win, unless your looking for that huge loud sound, like those found with Loudmouths, etc. Im sure you pick up a cat for less than your monthly car insurance bill (sorry, couldnt resist)

Good luck with your research, and happy holidays!!

Wayne
I don't suppose you have an idea on a part number/size of the muffler you're speaking of? What is the inlet and outlet size?

Last edited by johnlv6; 11-09-2009 at 01:05 PM.