Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Hooker catback or Flowmaster?
Flowmaster
10.71%
Hooker
89.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Hooker catback Vs. Flowmaster Catback!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker catback Vs. Flowmaster Catback!!!

This is not about flow rating or how crappy flowmaster flows! I also dont want to know what i should get thats not a flowmaster or Hooker. I just want opinions. I would like to get a catback for my car, i want it to be louder then it is stock. I in the future would like to get Headers and all that, but its not going to happen right away, maybe not even this summer or next summer.

I heard the hooker catback is a lil louder then stock, i dont think it will be as loud as i want. I know it flows very well, its also cheap, i heard it with Headers and without headers on LS1 sounds, i do think it sounds good with the headers, but a lil too quiet for stock.

Now this is my opinion and everyone has there own but i think flowmaster is one of the best sounding Catbacks, I dont like Borla i think it sounds the worse just loud and raspy no tone. Same with magna flow i dont like the raspy farts it lets out when people shift or let off the gass. I listen to them from LS1sounds, and i click the stock cars without headers and stuff, sometimes with just headers no cams.

So thats why i have been thinking flowmaster because it sounds good louder then stock not as raspy as most if not at all. I dont like the hooker tips that much seems a lil cheap but there ok, flowmaster i dont like single tips so i dont know what i really want just yet i fiure the nice people on these forums can help
Old 12-25-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my g/f has hooker on her ta with headers and ory and it sounds amazing. kinda quiet at idle buy when you give it gas, you know it means business. they quality is better also than flowmaster, as for the tips...i just put slp d/d tips on it for now untill she gets her corsa clone tips in from ~joshua on the board. the slp tips slid right on no problem.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think your confused about what rasp is but I don't think it matters. You know what you like and what you don't like but for my money of the 2 I would take the Hooker. But I hate Flowmaster so evidently we have different taste in exhaust sound so good luck with your decision.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Flowmaster CB. I think it sounds ok with the Hooker LT headers and ORY-pipe but I like it best with my cut-off open. Good-luck choosing your exhaust note.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

I voted hooker, But why not Magnaflow? They are close in price and Magnaflows are stainless.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

magnaflow has a good tone a little louder than hooker.. deep and a clean sound to it. sometimes i let my mom drive it out of the drive way just so i can hear it pur lol
Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Launching!

I just put some LTs, ORY and a flowmaster catback on my car because I like the sound so much. The 2-3 hp it supposedly gives up I would be willing to bet that you cannot tell any difference performance wise. But everybody has different expectations for their car. I personally am not one to try to race the whole world out there, maybe just every now and then. I say go for the sound you prefer, whatever it may be. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the Flowmaster really only cost 2-3 hp compared to others in performance? If thats the case I'll cap the cut off to give my neighbors a break.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

I just put Lt's/ory/ and Hooker on about a month ago and I'm very pleased with the sound. It is quiet at idle and at cruising speeds but opens up very well when you get on it. My car is an automatic so I chose one of the quieter catbacks for when I stall and cam it. The car had a flowmaster muffler on it when I bought it, not the catback just muffler welded in and it didn't sound anything special to me?? Of course I live in a redneck town where every pickup truck has flowmasters on it so it's nice to hear a different tone.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

You couldn't pay me to run a Flowmaster. They sounds good, but you'll pick up more power with the Hooker over the Flowmaster. Their direct fit muffler for our cars don't really flow all that great compared to the competition.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont like this sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCEN...eature=related

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_75vS...eature=related

I think this sounds better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOZuoEaeyJU

You can hear the rasp right after the revs form the straight pipe style catbacks( Magnaflow straight through)( Loudmouth) Now i dont want it too loud but louder with out the rasp, most of those exhausts sound good until after high rpms off the throttle.

i dont no if people like rasp or what.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Here is you a few Hooker clips to hear.

http://www.ls1sounds.com/hooker.htm
Old 12-26-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
...I dont like Borla i think it sounds the worse just loud and raspy no tone...
I'd be willing to bet if you ever heard a Borla with a plate in it it wouldn't sounds raspy. I'm not sure what catbacks you've heard in person, but if you have cats' on your Y-pipe, you are going to eliminate most of the rasp. But I digress...

I voted Hooker because why would you spend money on another catback again later that flows better. I find it hard to fathom a person purchasing a product they know does not improve performance for the sake of sound. IMHO, look toward the future, pick-up a Hooker CB, and call it good. If you just want to throw away $300, you can PayPal me.

Good luck either way. Just my .02.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't even think about the drone I'm sure you'd hear. I had a Flowmaster on my old car and it was terrible. I'm not sure about the drone on the Hooker, but at least it isn't costing HP.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the thing is i might not ever put headers on my car it might stay the way it is, and only have a catback, so if i had a Hooker catback i would what have 3 more hp then the flowmaster, and it would probly sound almost like stock exhaust. The flowmaster would be louder. Im only 21 years old i dont beat the crap out of my car i will probly never take it to a drag strip not even once, I got 4 years of payments on it, I just want to cruise, i Live in Buffalo NY, my car is fast enough, and maybe when a friend gets a car i'm worried about racing then i will get the headers and stuff, but i doubt that. so why not go with what sounds best. I notice not one person voted flowmaster but me, i think people are affraid to get bashed for liking a crappy performing catback. just my $.02
Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will take my 6 year old Flow 80 series over any Magnaflow or Hooker..even if I lose 100cfm..just for the loudness and SOUND...I have lt's+ory+qtec + flow...LOUD and MEAN.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think there are people affraid, just most people tend to stay away. My point was try to look toward what you are going to do to the car. If the power is fine for you as it so, the the Flowmaster will give you the sound you're looking for. It's your car, and if you're happy with it, then koodos to you
Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I will take my 6 year old Flow 80 series over any Magnaflow or Hooker..even if I lose 100cfm..just for the loudness and SOUND...I have lt's+ory+qtec + flow...LOUD and MEAN.
I see it looks like you have a cutout in your sig' though...
Old 12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe if there were more stock engine sound clips with the hooker catback i would hear more of them and like them, i mean i probly should go with the hooker its what 50 bucks more. But i just dont no how loud it really is, there are like 5 F bodys around a 30 mile area here in buffalo i see 3 Trans Ams in the summer driving from and to work, My car is rare, it was so hard to find it, let alone a WS6 M6 so i took it and i never see these cars, or hear them.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to have the crapmaster on there but couldnt stand the rasp at high rpms. I switched over the Hooker and couldnt be happier. Has a decent tone when cruising around, but when you get on it, it comes alive!!

Quick Reply: Hooker catback Vs. Flowmaster Catback!!!