Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which one
ram air
75.00%
cold air
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

cold air intake or ram air?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake or ram air?

o.k. guys, let's settle this issue, cold air or ram air? i've got a 2000 ws6 with a cold air kit that i made myself that is like the slp kit. now i would like to take out the baffels in the hood and seal the hood to the box to make that "ram air hood" a real ram air hood and take out the one i made because you can't have both. but after reading different threads i can't make up my mind because it's seems 50/50. cold air has it's pros of picking up air from the bottom and shooting it straight up to the filter and i no it works because mine seems to work from me always cleaning the filter. but it has it's cons and we no that they are. ram air get's cooler air straight in and when sealed to the box it creates a pressurized effect and makes the hood a true ram air. cons though, water can get in makes, sound to loud.
so i hoping you guys can help me and others to solve this problem and pick which system will make the best power and be most efficent. thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JAAM Ram Air

Sealing your hood to the airbox is the hands down best cold air you can get. its taking air from in front of the car thats cooler from air under the car and once you go fast enough it will have a slight presurization to it
Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
JAAM Ram Air

Sealing your hood to the airbox is the hands down best cold air you can get. its taking air from in front of the car thats cooler from air under the car and once you go fast enough it will have a slight presurization to it
hands down the best cold air...sorry but you are wrong...you can get 2 to 3 times as much air flow from the bottom of the car over the hood holes and air temps from the bottom are identical to outside temps once the car is moving...

FTRA, slp, custom intake cold air intakes have been proven to gain at least 10 hp...make something more extreme like i got and see around 20-22rwhp over stock (no cold air)...you are not going to gain that with a JAAM ram air
Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG...get ram air. RAM AIR I tell you...everything else is crap. My SS has ram air, and it is way faster than Tainted's car.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id like to see something like the SSRA s the JAAM
Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

i thought the jaam was a ram air kit, not a cold air...well atleast that is the way it is advertised on fasttoys

Last edited by bryan04h; 12-31-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I picked up the SLP flowpac when i first got my car... sure it was expensive, but it was a nice kit.... and i've been happy with it Course soon with a P1 whining under the hood i guess it'll all the sitting int the garage
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrs1313
you can get 2 to 3 times as much air flow from the bottom of the car over the hood holes and air temps from the bottom are identical to outside temps once the car is moving...
Theorectically I would agree with a bottom feed since you have a large resivior of pressurized air to tap into. I would also think the difference to be minimal at best. This thread will not be settled based on theories though.

On the air temps I would think a top/hood feed would be best? Especially in the heat of the summer when you can literally see the 160+ degree heat radiating off the streets.

Over all I would think the Hood would be the best source to tap into if done correctly.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Launching!

are they any downs to taking out the baffels and sealing? and what are the benefits to cold air? anybody have any dyno #'s?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Theorectically I would agree with a bottom feed since you have a large resivior of pressurized air to tap into. I would also think the difference to be minimal at best. This thread will not be settled based on theories though.
isn't the air dam the main source of why getting air from the bottom is better? something with the pressure built there and forced up through the bottom of the air box?

i would think for a flat hood ta, a ftra or ssra would be the best benefit..but for a ws6, having the extra two nostrils, it would get benefit from the jaam by completely sealing off that initial air way and getting pressure from there rather than from underneath the car...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

I am running true ram-air on my LS2 Trailblazer SS. I am pulling by design from the lower bumper vent using Spectre parts for 4" ram air to a sealed filter box. I did have to tune for it (wide-band A/F gauge) it ran much better & gained 3 mph in the 1/4 mile. I had to richen my fuel curve because it will run too lean with true ram-air about 1.0 leaner or more. So that tells you it is getting a good charge of cool air. I run a 12.7 A/F at WOT with the new tune. 3 mph shows it is really pulling on the big end.