Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Delima

Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Delima

Let me explain my situation with my exhaust. I have a 02 Trans Am WS6. It has Pacesetter long tubes with a ORY pipe and a MagnaFlow Catback exhaust. My y-pipe was moddified by putting in High flow Magnaflow Cats due to me moving from Arkansas to North Carolina and wanting to pass emission laws and be able to pass inspection. I put in O2 sims twice and they always work for about two weeks then starting thowing codes again. Well Now my Cats Are screwed up when you bump your hand against it you can hear metal inside of it. Its a horrible god awful sound and I need to get it fixed ASAP. This is why I started this thread to get some new ideas or just some good advice on what to do. I have searched around and there are countless threads about this type of thing and sticky threads but I keep going so many different ways due to the 100's of different exhaust options.

Here is my question. If I take off everything from the headers back and replace it. What would I need to Pass Emissions or am I NOT able to pass due to having Long Tubes?
I keep getting myself more and more confused on what to do. Do I just replace Y-pipe with cats already in? Due I change the Exhaust setup completely? Replace Cats then get a tune to eliminate codes and give me a few extra ponies from the tune.
I wonder why those Simulators keep failing. Oh well, what are some of your thoughts or ideas that I could do with my car? Whats the most Logical thing to do? Oh yeah, by the way I only have about $600.00 to spend.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a visual inspection than you won't pass with the long tubes. Now if its just a sniffer test than you may get by with cats and a tune. I don't know what NC's testing guidelines are.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well they do a inspection to see if cats are installed and then check to see if any codes have been thrown.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

well if they don't care where the cats are then i say just replace the cats get the rear 02's tuned out and call it a day.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

As long as you don't live in cali, I've never heard of ANYONE failing at a private shop for long tubes...Most people even pass in state inspection places (like here in jersey, Visual + OBDII)
Old 01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

God bless Iowa and no inspection.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Restricted User

I'm here in Fayetteville and the way your car sits it won't pass. They do inspection and OBD2. Here's my advice, since you won't pass a proper inspection anyway, **** can the y pipe and replace it with a PS ORY. Go up to RPM, get a tune and ask around lumberton for shops that'll *inspect* your car. I have that same setup, PS LTs, ORY, Magnaflow w/ eCutout.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
God bless Iowa and no inspection.
Amen to that and MI too!! (knocking on wood!)
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

O2 sims are crap and rarely work.

I'd just replace the cats and have bungs welded in behind the cats for rear O2 sensors.

If you go that route I've got a set of low millage rear O2 sensors I'd sell ya for cheap, shoot me a PM.

Re'
Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have a Apt with R.P.M in Garner, N.C. he is getting me a TSP catted Y-pipe and doing a tune and deleting codes. Im excited.

shoukld I expect a great increase in HP after the Tune? I have a M6 and Mods are listed below. I have only bolt ons and thought that I might recieve a extra 15-20 HP with the tune is the acurate at all? or am I totally misinformed about whats going to take place.

If you have used (RPM) Ryans Performance Machines chime in and tell me what they have done for you and how you liked your tune. Thanks.

Search this Thread