Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reaching an exhuast delimma

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reaching an exhuast delimma

I've got a friend with a 2000 camaro, 233/233 cam, long tubes, ls6 manifold, port polished heads and true dual dumped right before the axle (no cats). so far he's received 2 tickets for his dumped exhaust, so we are trying to find a way to keep his performance but make it legal. I've seen a Bassani exhuast that does just that, I was wondering if anyone is running it? Any complications involved in our application?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what does his ticket state? what are they getting him for dumped exhaust doesnt help us understand the infraction.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

State is texas, and the rule is the exhaust may not exit underneath the passenger compartment (must be out the rear of the vehicle)
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Banned

Well there you have it. Extend the dump. You dont need to buy new, just run some pipe out. You can go under the axle and you can also get ovalized pipe to save room.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

oh...and here i figured it was for the sound level.

the bassani is nice...but $$$$

i say a custom over the axle setup.

get a Ypipe, cut the merge collector off and run a magnaflow X...then 2 pipes side by side up over the axle into a couple magnaflow 4x9 mufflers.

you can get the prebent pipes from Summit made by dynomax...same Ipipe used for cat backs. probalby have to get the panhard kit from BMR to make it fit.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well there you have it. Extend the dump. You dont need to buy new, just run some pipe out. You can go under the axle and you can also get ovalized pipe to save room.

The muffler shop he took it to claimed there wasn't enough room to take them over the axle, they wanted to cut the whole system off and do a y-pipe to single exhaust, claiming they could keep his performance.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by teke184
oh...and here i figured it was for the sound level.

the bassani is nice...but $$$$

i say a custom over the axle setup.

get a Ypipe, cut the merge collector off and run a magnaflow X...then 2 pipes side by side up over the axle into a couple magnaflow 4x9 mufflers.

you can get the prebent pipes from Summit made by dynomax...same Ipipe used for cat backs. probalby have to get the panhard kit from BMR to make it fit.

I reckon that's a good idea. they make a kit that will take 2 pipes over the axle on the same side?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

Find a new shop, a lot of muffer shops are lazy and take the easy way out. Drgas has ovalized tubing that you can run under the axle and do it all yourself. No shop needed. It made for just that purpose, close tolerances.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

"they make a kit that will take 2 pipes over the axle on the same side?"

they make the suspension kit to allow the clearance...

i don't know anyone that makes the exhaust kit part....well other than the bassani (which doesn't need the susp kit).

BMR claims you can run 3" pipes side by side

half way down the page