Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Dumped v. Over the axle.
Pay the $$$, out the back
62.00%
Screw it, leave em dumped
38.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

T/D over the axle v. dumped

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run dumps on a Camaro, but never on a Trans Am. My T/A had dumps when I first got it and it just looked like something was missing. I ran under the axle.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I would run dumps on a Camaro, but never on a Trans Am. My T/A had dumps when I first got it and it just looked like something was missing. I ran under the axle.
Do You need anything done to the suspension to run it under the axle? I want to get headers and a catback(Hooker aero Chamber) Now thats like $350 for CB. Now running dual exhaust from the headers you would figure could be better performance and around same price? Its only piping and two mufflers, and some tips would be nice. I figure under axle would be easier for the shop too, now how bad is ground clearance? thanks.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You aren't exactly painting a great picture for why ANYONE would want to do a dumped setup after this post. You love it, but it rattles (but really is not bad), and it isn't THAT loud in the cabin? Vibration to boot? Ground clearance sucks?
If someone likes the rumble then go do it. All you need are those rubber hangar clamp things (not sure what they're called) to dampen the vibration. Then you don't have to worry about any rattling. I don't have any so, yes, it rattles a tiny bit. Plus it's not a car you take off-road or fly over speed bumps with so you really don't have to worry about the ground clearance. Personally, I just like the way they look under the car.

I just noticed you have a T/A so go ahead and run out the back. I agree, with a Camaro, dump the exhaust, with a T/A run it out the back.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Do You need anything done to the suspension to run it under the axle? I want to get headers and a catback(Hooker aero Chamber) Now thats like $350 for CB. Now running dual exhaust from the headers you would figure could be better performance and around same price? Its only piping and two mufflers, and some tips would be nice. I figure under axle would be easier for the shop too, now how bad is ground clearance? thanks.
Nothing needs to be done suspension wise. Also, you're going to need either an x or h-pipe. I mean you can go without, but if you're going to do it right, it's the only way to go. My ground clearance is better now that when I had dumps. I'm not going to say it's great (my car is on sagging eibach prokit springs though). You'll get used to it. As long as you don't go rallying or hitting speed bumps at 30 mph, you'll be fine.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

the answer to me is simple: if you drive your car a lot, TD's dumped gets to be old from inside the car. if you drive it 2-3 times a month, then put up with the drone and rattling. i personally got sick of the TD's dumped for a couple of reasons and went back to an ORY set up
Old 02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased the TSP True duals dumped. It all comes down to personal preference. If you cant handle a bit of noise then go out the back. Ive got a TA and I still dumped. I do plan on having the bumper painted (got rear ended) and the exhaust/license part of the bumper blacked out. So that might help a lot with thinking something is missing. I figured worst case is if I dont like it I can always pay a little extra and have them sent out the back but for right now im just going to save the money and go dumped. A friend has a dumped setup so I used his as a test of if I would like it or not. I feel a muscle car should show rumble and vibrate a bit. Thats just me.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You aren't exactly painting a great picture for why ANYONE would want to do a dumped setup after this post. You love it, but it rattles (but really is not bad), and it isn't THAT loud in the cabin? Vibration to boot? Ground clearance sucks?
ill never run over the axle again. this quote is kinda blown out of proportion, as all those elements apply to any exhaust. i thought my bullets would be too loud, they were for about a day. then i loved it, and most likely wont run another muffler/setup. it sounds very good.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slmdLS1
ill never run over the axle again. this quote is kinda blown out of proportion, as all those elements apply to any exhaust. i thought my bullets would be too loud, they were for about a day. then i loved it, and most likely wont run another muffler/setup. it sounds very good.
Same way too. I love mine and will never run another set-up. Plus, not everyone dumps their exhaust. Just about everyone runs out the back so at least it's different.