Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks vs. Hooker and GMMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks vs. Hooker and GMMG

Kooks is obviously the premium brand of the two, but I am wondering if Kooks and Hookers have a noticable sound difference alone and/or with a gmmg cat back.

Currently I want to go with a hooker/gmmg setup but found a clip today of a trans am with kooks and gmmg and it sounded amazing.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

if your going with a GMMG whichever headers you get ensure you get the catted Y or it will be raspy. Honestly i would go with Kooks or American Racing Headers, whichever one of the 2 are cheaper. Those are the only 2 i would ever put on my car.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Launching!

yep, plan on getting the catted Y, but why only those two headers?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DBeck
.... but found a clip today of a trans am with kooks and gmmg and it sounded amazing.
Yeah they do sound amazing. Kooks, Kooks Catted Y and a GMMG is a great setup. As stated, I think the only issue would be the Y. Size, length or flow of the cats may alter the sound. I have a some GMMG clips in my sig, from stock manifolds to Kooks to on the dyno with H/C.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

do yourself a favor and hear the setup in person!!!!!!!!!

these cars are like Harleys, there are so many exhaust options and no one can "describe" a sound that you like....but YOU know exactly what you like, and when you hear it, you'll know instantly. Keep in mind, alot of the sound clips you'll find aren't really comparing apples to apples. Some cars have cam, head, intake, forced induction....all of that changes the sounds that come out the back. Some clips are taken 5 feet from the tailpipes some are 10-15 feet, some are in a garage or parking deck, while others are out in the open. You can't judge how loud something is going to be from your computer. Volume is relative to the setting on the recording instruments and your speakers on your PC.

do what you want, but just be forwarned that you have a good chance of being disappointed if you don't hear it in person first.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Yeah they do sound amazing. Kooks, Kooks Catted Y and a GMMG is a great setup. As stated, I think the only issue would be the Y. Size, length or flow of the cats may alter the sound. I have a some GMMG clips in my sig, from stock manifolds to Kooks to on the dyno with H/C.
lmao, the clip I was speaking of was of your car.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
do yourself a favor and hear the setup in person!!!!!!!!!

these cars are like Harleys, there are so many exhaust options and no one can "describe" a sound that you like....but YOU know exactly what you like, and when you hear it, you'll know instantly. Keep in mind, alot of the sound clips you'll find aren't really comparing apples to apples. Some cars have cam, head, intake, forced induction....all of that changes the sounds that come out the back. Some clips are taken 5 feet from the tailpipes some are 10-15 feet, some are in a garage or parking deck, while others are out in the open. You can't judge how loud something is going to be from your computer. Volume is relative to the setting on the recording instruments and your speakers on your PC.

do what you want, but just be forwarned that you have a good chance of being disappointed if you don't hear it in person first.

Yea, I do try to find clips of cars that list mods. Like I wouldn't expect my car with a gmmg exhaust to sound like a car with gmmg, headers, and cam etc etc. I'm sure it's a good idea to hear it in person but it's hard to find people with these different setups that are close enough for me to go check out. I do understand what you're saying though, even just by watching different videos I've heard exhausts that sound like crap just because of poor quality camera audio. I've listened to so many clips of different setups though, and the only one that continues to come out on top is gmmg.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since you have or plan to get a gmmg exhaust why not buy a stainless steel header? My American Racing headers, catted y, and gmmg sound amazing imo.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

I think all LTs will sound near the same. Get cats' to keep the rasp down and you should be fine.

Hooker makes stainless LTs too for a little more than $500...
Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JScamaro
Since you have or plan to get a gmmg exhaust why not buy a stainless steel header? My American Racing headers, catted y, and gmmg sound amazing imo.
Yea, I am starting to get hooked on this idea of stainless steel. I mean just like pretty much anyone, I would love to get the best top of the line parts for my car, but I don't have $$$ to buy whatever I want, lol.

Quick Reply: Kooks vs. Hooker and GMMG