Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro products Typhoon Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So all by itself its a guaranteed hp increase over an LS1 manifold, just need a decent set of heads to bolt onto it as well. I might have to look into that, what TB mounts up to it?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jasonscott
did you replace an ls1 intake manifold or an ls6. Iv been thinking about the pp manifold also.
I replaced the ported stocker that was on my LS2. 05 GTO. I purchased it because of the extra strength and good looks & I also knew I would gain some HP. I am very happy with this intake. It is down on HP by a few when compared to a FAST product but to me the added strength and good looks including fuel rails was worth the $500.00.
I have had no issues with heat soak either. The hottest my IATs have been since install was 112 degress. I have a OMEGA THERMISTER Sensor and it helps to lower IATs faster then the stocker The engine management system on the 05-06 GTOs are designed to start pulling timing when the IATs hit above 115 degrees or so. All in All, no problems with this intake. Good Fit and finish with a HP gain as a bonus. Very nice S.O.T.P feel when compared to my stock set up.
Attached Thumbnails Pro products Typhoon Intake Manifold-c-intake-goes-boom-2.jpg  

Last edited by JJD49; 08-12-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JJD49
I replaced the stocker that was on my LS2. 05 GTO. I purchased it because of the extra strength and good looks & I also knew I would gain some HP. I am very happy with this intake. It is down on HP by a few when compared to a FAST product but to me the added strength and good looks including fuel rails was worth the $500.00.
I have had no issues with heat soak either. The hottest my IATs have been since install was 112 degress. I have a OMEGA THERMISTER Sensor and it helps to lower IATs faster then the stocker The engine management system on the 05-06 GTOs are designed to start pulling timing when the IATs hit above 115 degrees or so. All in All, no problems with this intake. Good Fit and finish with a HP gain as a bonus. Very nice S.O.T.P feel when compared to my stock set up.
Hi JJD49,

Finally some real data! I too am interested in this product but I have couple of extra questions.
What mods did you have on your car prior and after the change to the Typhoon? and
Do the intake runners line up with the head intake ports perfectly or would you need to match port the intake to make the runners and ports line up perfectly?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe your iat sensor is before the manifold so the data won't change.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HSV,_I_GOT_ONE
Hi JJD49,

Finally some real data! I too am interested in this product but I have couple of extra questions.
What mods did you have on your car prior and after the change to the Typhoon? and
Do the intake runners line up with the head intake ports perfectly or would you need to match port the intake to make the runners and ports line up perfectly?

Thanks!
Before the install of the intake I had normal bolt on's like a CAI. Headers, full exhaust and a Ported LS2 intake plus a cam. My HP gain with the typhoon was a honest 14 over the ported stocker. The intake is a perfect matchup with the stock heads. With a cam only A/4 LS2 I have very happy with my 400+rwhp and 435 RWTQ on a Mustang [ loaded ] dyno

Custom Grind Comp Cam 646 lift, 235/240 LSA113
#928 Valve springs
LT Headers, MONGILLOS MOTORS Mids & Cats and Magnaflow ex.
SLP U/D pulley .
LS2 PRO 96 M/M Typhoon intake Manifold.
P&P Throttle body.
Vigilanti 3600 stall T/C
B&M Trans Cooler.
AEM Brute Force.
45 injecters & JBA WIREs.
Omega Non- Linear Thermister element
Oil Catch CAN TWE.
JHP GAUGE POD
MSD DASH HAWK
NITTO Drag Radials

Last edited by JJD49; 08-13-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Thanks to our customers....

Thanks to all of you who have actually used our products and are happy with your Typhoon manifold and in some cases our Power throttle bodies.

We did have some issues with the Typhoon Manifold for LSx installations when it was first released. All of these issues were related to some of the parts in the kit, not the manifold itself. The only manifold related issue was the interference with the bolt heads holding the valley cover on. How this came about is the engine that we primarily designed this manifold around had AFR heads on it. The AFR heads actually position the manifold about an 1/8" higher than on a stock engine so we didn't realize that we had a problem until some of you pointed it out.

This can be fixed by switching out the bolts to some with thinner heads. We have since changed the design of the manifold to remedy this problem. However, on some of the models of this manifold, we had quite a few in inventory and so even manifolds sold recently still can have minor interference with those bolts.

While some of you may not trust dyno figures released by the manufacturer, my policy is if we don't get the figures we want, we don't publish them. If a manifold does produce good numbers, we do publish them. We currently have a number of engine dyno tests posted on our web site (www.professional-products.com) and one of these tests was done at the request of forum members. We tested our manifold against an LS6 manifold with no other changes. I don't recall the exact figures but I think we picked up 17 hp at 6,300 rpm which we were pretty happy with.

Keep in mind that results can vary from one engine combination to another. Yes, we got 17 additional hp with the engine combo we had. We had AFR heads, a modified cam, long tube headers and a modified computer. If you swapped our manifold for an LS6 on an otherwise stock engine, you might not get the same result.

Again, thanks to all of you who had positive comments about our Typhoon manifold. We appreciate your support.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the 85 mm version with rails a 85 mm tb, i'm happy with it, no probs that i can think of, i love the look of an ALL aluminum engine as well. Great price
Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 96MM I am going to sell, if anyone is interested. $400 shipped.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my PP manifold. Not a single problem at all. I did a lot of reading and read all the issues people had. Mainly missing parts that were needed for install. When I recieved my manifold i went through everything to make sure I have all i needed to install and all parts that people had previously mention to be missing, they were all there. I havent had a dyno yet but I will soon. I have the 85mm version. I specificly got a baseline tune right before this install so i can have a direct back to back comparisson between the 85mm and a stock ls1 intake and I got this intake because of my nitrous addition.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Im not saying its junk.

Im saying its fn UGLY.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

i had the polished 85mm and it was great...and since the bottom opens up it makes it very easy to port and clean up. by just cleaning up the casting flaws on the inside i felt a very nice difference. for the money i think its certainly a great option, and it looks great aswell.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimdavis@professional
Thanks to all of you who have actually used our products and are happy with your Typhoon manifold and in some cases our Power throttle bodies.

We did have some issues with the Typhoon Manifold for LSx installations when it was first released. All of these issues were related to some of the parts in the kit, not the manifold itself. The only manifold related issue was the interference with the bolt heads holding the valley cover on. How this came about is the engine that we primarily designed this manifold around had AFR heads on it. The AFR heads actually position the manifold about an 1/8" higher than on a stock engine so we didn't realize that we had a problem until some of you pointed it out.

This can be fixed by switching out the bolts to some with thinner heads. We have since changed the design of the manifold to remedy this problem. However, on some of the models of this manifold, we had quite a few in inventory and so even manifolds sold recently still can have minor interference with those bolts.

While some of you may not trust dyno figures released by the manufacturer, my policy is if we don't get the figures we want, we don't publish them. If a manifold does produce good numbers, we do publish them. We currently have a number of engine dyno tests posted on our web site (www.professional-products.com) and one of these tests was done at the request of forum members. We tested our manifold against an LS6 manifold with no other changes. I don't recall the exact figures but I think we picked up 17 hp at 6,300 rpm which we were pretty happy with.

Keep in mind that results can vary from one engine combination to another. Yes, we got 17 additional hp with the engine combo we had. We had AFR heads, a modified cam, long tube headers and a modified computer. If you swapped our manifold for an LS6 on an otherwise stock engine, you might not get the same result.

Again, thanks to all of you who had positive comments about our Typhoon manifold. We appreciate your support.
You have a great product. I gained 14 HP over my Ported LS2 intake with the install of your 96 MM intake only with out a tune. It is without a doubt the best investment I ever made for my 05 GTO
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Talking Ok I'll Get One just to be a Tester.

Just because I'm interested in a few extra ponies and still have a stock LS1 intake and I HATE people who haven't tried crap themselves putting others down I'm going to do this:

1) This week I'l get a new polished 85mm intake and TB to put on my WS6
2) I'll take to a pro installer here in San Antonio that I trust for install
3) We will dyno before install, after install and then after a tune.
4) I will ask Danny after the install to tell me any snags a pro like him could come across during the install and ANY modifications that have to be made.
5) I will post results here and in a new thread as well.

Any dealers on the list wanna help me out price wise to settle an argument? Hint Hint..

Heres' my current setup before install.
Stock block bored 20 over 10.5 compression
224/224 581/581 114LSA cam
Mild hand port on heads 5 angle valve job
SLP tuned length ceramic coated headers
Custom Duals with X pipe into Magnaflow 4 round mufflers sans cats
Custom built 4l60E with yank 3200 converter.

Keeping in mind that I am totally unbiased, let's see how it goes! I may keep it and love it, I may call it crap and get something else. I love playing Devil's advocate!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Default While I'm at it!

While I'm at it. After the tune, I'll take it out and get it hot so we can address the "heat soak" issue and go back and dyno it again after about 20 minutes at full temp. I'm betting the difference is only about 1-2 hp.
But let's see, it may be great; it may suck.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what are your results ronws6, if you got it done that is?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for ronsws6's results!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Interested in results also and will someone please post a pic of this thing installed!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

It's like the LochNess monster...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Sorry guys! I have the Manifold and TB, but because of a work situation haven't been able to get away to go have the work done. But my coworker is supposed to be back in a couple of days to help relieve me and I wont have to be putting twelve hours a day in, and can get it done. I am looking forward to it.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jasonscott
Interested in results also and will someone please post a pic of this thing installed!
This is what it looks like installed on my 05 LS2 GTO.
Attached Thumbnails Pro products Typhoon Intake Manifold-gto-intake-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pro products Typhoon Intake Manifold