Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what *sounds* like a belt squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
well since the noise continues for a few secs after the car shuts off it's definitely not the belt.
ahh.. forgot about that part.....

^^^^ i would take the belt off... if it continues.. it at least eliminates your pullies and waterpump.. just dont run that baby too long..
Old 02-29-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fans - you guys arent listening lol, i have no clutch fan. at all. i run 2 perma cool 12" pusher fans, controlled by ME on my painless switch panel. so they are OFF when this sound happens sometimes.

water pump - good call. i did not replace it when i did my swap because i was scared of the staggering cost, but looks like i might have to. anyone make a higher flow one? ive never had any cooling issues with this thing on track but it never hurts haha.

im going to be working on the car all day prepping it for a 3 day event next weekend, so ill give some stuff a shot and report back.

thanks everyone
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I still vote for a fan or possibly water pump / thermostat. You mention that it's temperature related, and when you turn off the car it continues for a few seconds, well the fans will freewheel down after the power is turned off and could make that sound. As for the water pump / thermostat. After you turn off the motor, you still have water movement through the pump and housing since there isn't anything to technically stop the flow of water. So after you shut off the motor and water pump, the water will still circulate for a few seconds. The impellor on the water pump should free wheel, so that might be where it's coming from.
the water pump impeller will freewheel after the motor stops even though the pulley is stopped? someone please explain that to me. it should freewheel or it does freewheel????
Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
the water pump impeller will freewheel after the motor stops even though the pulley is stopped? someone please explain that to me. it should freewheel or it does freewheel????
I'm not 100% sure, that's why I said it should/might freewheel. I would think that it would be similar to a bicycle sprocket where as the rpms increase on the pump housing it spins the impellor, but as you let out of the throttle, it 'should' allow the impellor to freewheel or else the impellor would be pushing against the pump from the flow of coolant going over it.

I haven't actually pulled a water pump to check, but it just makes sense to me from a inertia standpoint. If the impeller and housing were connected, I think it would be rough on the pump when you go higher rpms for a sustained time then go back down to idle. That flow of water is going to be pushing hard against the impeller. To correlate it to a bike, that would be like a spinning bike where the peddles are locked to every rotation of the crank.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i thought water pump shafts were directly linked to the pulley and impeller, with no way of free wheeling. i have changed many but never paid much attention.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
ACG
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i thought water pump shafts were directly linked to the pulley and impeller, with no way of free wheeling. i have changed many but never paid much attention.
You are right
Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive been sick for the past few days, and last night i had an idea about this in a nyquil induced haze.

i have redone my PCV system and apparently am sucking air from my crankcase. i dont know whats causing the squealing noise. but as soon as i pull the dipstick the noise stops. put it back in, 3 or 4 seconds later, starts squealing.
needless to say my PCV system is now venting to atmosphere with a filter on it.

Last edited by Kamin; 03-05-2008 at 01:26 AM.