Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor Info

well just wanted to let some people know that it is IMPERATIVE that the O2 sensors(front at least) be tightened all the way till it contacts the header itself. I did an exhaust swap a while back always had a SES light come on and it missed badly and the passenger side plugs and exhaust were running really rich i was getting about 4-6 miles per gallon so we did the cam/heads swap and sure enough still there. well when we pulled the exhaust off for the H/C swap we did notice exhaust leaks and we thought hmm maybe that was it, well we made damn sure that no exhaust leak this time and still it did it so the thing is i have SLP headers and since the first time we noticed the O2 sensor was really tight going in, i mean REALLY tight so this time we took the old sensor out and re tapped the header and we didn't use any anti seize either and installed a new one from Bosch(thats all the local parts store had) and so far it has helped the ses code hasn't gone away yet and gas mileage still sux but i assume its coz it threw a code... what we think happened as evident by the black threads was since the O2 sensor was all the way in it was pulling air and it thought it needed to run richer so anyway my wooden nickels worth of info for today...does anybody know about the ses code going away eventually? i heard it would provided that was what teh code was for
Old 07-18-2003, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: O2 sensor Info

Did you try resetting the PCM?
Old 07-18-2003, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: O2 sensor Info

Another thing is, you want the probe to be all
the way into the exhaust stream, so it sees the
highest operating temp and has less shrouding.
Otherwise you may get low voltage readings, maybe
switching or heater codes, etc.

In fact, it would probably be worthwhile for
people installing headers to check out the bung
standoff height before hand against the O2 makers'
recommended stickout into the stream, and maybe
dress down the outer seating face if it looks like
there's too much bung height.

Running a tap through it before install would make
it easier to get the sensor in when the tubes are
on the car.