Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Headers or LS6 intake for first major mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Headers or LS6 intake for first major mod?

I have a 98 SS and am thinking of going with either LT headers or a LS6 intake. Which would give better gains first? I plan on doing a cam later - but will probably keep stock heads - but you know how that goes.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:00 PM
Banned

Default Re: LT Headers or LS6 intake for first major mod?

Is it an auto or a manual? If it is an auto, neither, get a torque converter.
If it is a manual, first consider that a cam is really not that much more than either of those and depending on the brand of headers, a cam could be cheaper and a LOT better.
If it is a M6 and a cam is out, go headers first. Look at my setup. I did the intake LAST with the heads.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Longtubes hands down, no question. The stock intake is more than sufficient until you start swapping heads, some cams, or you go bigger displacement. Not only that but when you decide to do the cam, you'll already have good exhaust components in place. Do the headers first. You'll be glad you did.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:18 AM
Teching In

It is a M6. I had read gains up to 20 HP with the LS6 intake?? I wanted to wait on the cam - so I figured LT headers. I need to run cats too. So which headers fit best, have the nice coating and have a Y-pipe with cats? Or do I have to get that custom fabricated? I was looking at Hookers or Jet Hots.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The intake is easier to install. The LTs will make your car sound healthy (How I enjoyed the sound). However they are way harder to install and more expensive. I dont think you can run cats with LTs you may want to try the mid length.
If you get the intake go ahead and change the plugs and get an FTRA setup. Port the TB and do the coolant bypass while you are at it also.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

you can run cats with LT's FLP and SLP both make LT's that have cats. and they are pretty much cake to install IMO

go with the headers, I dont belive the intake will be worth as much on an otherwise stock motor.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

An LS6 intake on a basically stock car, will only give you around 6-10hp. LTs should net you around 20-30hp, leanig more towards 20 w/ cats. If you plan on camming it in the future, I would get LTs before an intake.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Agree with 1jfuddle if you have an A4 tranny that is,Get the Converter 1st If you have a 6 speed I would go for the LT's First.On my A4 LS6 intake made me lose a few horses Until I had the car Tuned.Now I have a cam so it really doesnt matter But as Far as HP went on my A4 car the hedders have been the best mod so far(Night and Day).Thats just my .02
Old 07-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I have a lid, Loudmouth, free mods, a few suspension upgrades a Harlan. I am looking to try and get the car up around 400HP - and then I will probably add a 75 shot of N2O. But I see LT headers would be my best bet. Also, the car is lowered (BMR) - so SLP LT are out. I have been looking at Hooker - or FLP (I hear fitment problems). I want to do things right the first time - which headers would you suggest that fit best and will not get "crapped up" over time? Money is a issue to a degree - but I want to get the best parts the first time, so it will probably be slow modding.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Headers.....they are expensive but its best to get them out of the way for future mods....

I'm happy with my Hooker LTs (install was EASY) and they fit like they came from the factory, but I don't know how they would do with cats (if they y-pipe will work with them...might have to shorten the collector to install cats......

Both SLP and FLP (both $$$) will work with cats (fit) but as you said, SLP's hang low so they might cause you problems....

Whatever you go with, make sure its JetHot coated....my hookers were coated by some other company (whoever Hooker uses) and after only 6 months the coating on the primaries is starting to burn through in places (fortunately its not up top where it can be seen)....