Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAM AIR Does 'RAM'...Proof inside...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Any suggestions on what to seal off the front of the air box with? I thought about using some aluminum tape like what is used in duct work.

From my readings it does not matter if it is a Firehawk or SS the FTRA or SSRA gets more air to the air box than the hood ever will. You will use the existing lid base and modify it (according to the FTRA instructions).
ah ok, thanks!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
What do you guys think about the VaraRam ram air kit for corvettes?? Sorry to hijack.
It's a very good ram air kit for the vettes. We sell them too and they are on special. Check out our web site for details.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 PM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=rom my readings it does not matter if it is a Firehawk or SS the FTRA or SSRA gets more air to the air box than the hood ever will. You will use the existing lid base and modify it (according to the FTRA instructions).[/QUOTE]

Correct! You can use the FTRA on any 98-02 Camaro or Firebird including the LS1 and V6 vehicles.

For those people that have WS6 cars, we do also sell the JAAM ram air kit that works to make the hood fully functional.

As stated earlier in the thread though, the bottom breathing design of the FTRA is going to make more power (the JAAM is close).
Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Any suggestions on what to seal off the front of the air box with? I thought about using some aluminum tape like what is used in duct work.

From my readings it does not matter if it is a Firehawk or SS the FTRA or SSRA gets more air to the air box than the hood ever will. You will use the existing lid base and modify it (according to the FTRA instructions).
i think i used 3/4" by 3/8" or 1/2" weather stripping the largest you can find as menards or lowes ect...mine ended up being 3 tall for the front gap...dont forget to seal where the ftra comes into contact to the lid base...might wanna use 1/4' thick there...also where the lid base connects to the radiator support...basically where ever you think air might escape....

i used clear caulk for some parts on my custom ram air....
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lets say your H/C/I..Is it necessary to retune or could I just bolt one on and go? I dont think a retune is necessary,but I wan to make sure
Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt get a tune after I put mine on and it worked great at the track, so I say no tune needed save your cash.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by john563
Lets say your H/C/I..Is it necessary to retune or could I just bolt one on and go? I dont think a retune is necessary,but I wan to make sure
No you do not need a retune. Your MAF sensor is going to pick up any added air movement across it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

so can u use both the jaam and the ftra together on a ws6?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000

You could but it wouldn't give the best results. Air takes the path of least resistance so if one is pushing harder than the other, the air will escape out the other path. Pick one and you are good to go
Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrs1313
i think i used 3/4" by 3/8" or 1/2" weather stripping the largest you can find as menards or lowes ect...mine ended up being 3 tall for the front gap...dont forget to seal where the ftra comes into contact to the lid base...might wanna use 1/4' thick there...also where the lid base connects to the radiator support...basically where ever you think air might escape....

i used clear caulk for some parts on my custom ram air....
Caulk is an idea but would be a pain if you ever had to remove the base for what ever reason. I will use your input on the weather stripping and figure it out. Thanks.

I had the weather stripping that Fast Toys sent with the kit which blocked off the front of the air box. It was nice piece that fit really good. For some reason I cut a section out of it which jacked it up. So much for closely reading the directions.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
8 Second Club

Good job man! It's nice to see some productivity around here.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
Good job man! It's nice to see some productivity around here.
yeah first time for everything right...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Fast Toys has done tests and they have found that under-the-hood ram air kits work better. The F-body's operate better when the kits suck air from UNDER the car, not through the hood. Any setup that gets air through the hood will not be able to outperform an equal setup that takes air from under the car.
I have a BGRA kit on a 2002 WS6 M6, The best my car would ever trap was 13.3 @107.10 After the BGRA kit was installed it ran 13.1 @109.xx.

Mods: TSP lid,KN filter, 85mm maf, WELDED IN DD subframe connectors, BMR LCA,BMR tower brace,

I would be intrested to see or know how much more an increase there would be if my car was sucking from bottom as to through my hood.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildta
I would be intrested to see or know how much more an increase there would be if my car was sucking from bottom as to through my hood.
I guess I can try that during my upcoming rental and will do it all three ways

Hood and FTRA
Hood
FTRA

I am a newb so I will use the first 5 or so runs getting use to staging and launching. I will then due a few runs with each configuration. They say you can get about 15 to 20 runs so I should have plenty of time. Now I just need to go find the block off plate for the FTRA.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know these ram air kits shine at the track,but would they show an increase on a dyno? Not that it matters I'm just curious.

I'll be getting one,just gonna see if I need to move my trans cooler outta the way first to fit the ftra.

How often do you need to clean/change your filter with one of these?
When I had a 95mustang gt I made a cold air kit in the fender and it seemed I had to change my filter left and right LOL!!!!!

Last edited by john563; 04-01-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by john563
I know these ram air kits shine at the track,but would they show an increase on a dyno? Not that it matters I'm just curious.
no gains on the dyno. the car needs to be moving

I'll be getting one,just gonna see if I need to move my trans cooler outta the way first to fit the ftra.
Maybe If its in the middle

How often do you need to clean/change your filter with one of these?
When I had a 95mustang gt I made a cold air kit in the fender and it seemed I had to change my filter left and right LOL!!!!!
Depends how dirty it gets i've change it every 3 months
Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is something Ive always wondered. I got the SSRA, but I never sealed it all up. I have a ws6 btw. My theory is that with the little help from the hood, and the ssra, im pushing more air up to the lid then I would be sealing it off. Ive studied it over and over, and feel that Ive made a good decesion. Fast Toys, I know its not your product, but what is your belief in this theory for your product and ssra. Just curious.

Dont compair ssra or ftra, they are both great products.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
You could but it wouldn't give the best results. Air takes the path of least resistance so if one is pushing harder than the other, the air will escape out the other path. Pick one and you are good to go
Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Here is something Ive always wondered. I got the SSRA, but I never sealed it all up. I have a ws6 btw. My theory is that with the little help from the hood, and the ssra, im pushing more air up to the lid then I would be sealing it off. Ive studied it over and over, and feel that Ive made a good decesion. Fast Toys, I know its not your product, but what is your belief in this theory for your product and ssra. Just curious.

Read this to answer your question
Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Correct! You can use the FTRA on any 98-02 Camaro or Firebird including the LS1 and V6 vehicles.

For those people that have WS6 cars, we do also sell the JAAM ram air kit that works to make the hood fully functional.

As stated earlier in the thread though, the bottom breathing design of the FTRA is going to make more power (the JAAM is close).

JAMM is the way to go when you have WS6 hood
Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

I know the feeling is more air is better but you are forgetting that pressurized air takes the path of least resistance. Since the FTRA or SSRA uses a superior bottom breathing design which normally goes into a sealed airbox, any openings in that air box (including leaving the front seal off to make the hood functional) will mean that air will escape through that hole and negate any pressure increases.

Using your method, you are only benefitting from the cold air and not receiving any benefits from any pressure increases. With that being said, go seal it up and enjoy some more power!

Quick Reply: RAM AIR Does 'RAM'...Proof inside...