Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kooks vs qtp's

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into both and decided against the QTPs because of the header issue. I ended up getting the ARHs for about $100 over the price of the QTPs and have heard alot better things about them.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairJP
^^^^ He's right. The Kooks and QTPs are the same design with the way they bend and route the primaries. The main difference is that QTPs have HVMCs and they're polished. The risk is that they can leak because there's no way to weld the inside of the 4th primary when they are assembled. Some guys have good luck, but others get welds that look terrible. From what I have read Kooks and AR seem to have much better quality control.

dude, Kooks bend their primaries alittle diff. ever seen the pics of the QTP's rubbing the steering shaft? my kooks clear it by about 3 inches.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ta_06374
In before ChocoTaco369....
Hehe, you mean ChocoTalker...
Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanx for all the info guys im gna go with either the kooks or the arh but i think im leaning towards the kooks but well see who i can find a better price with i guess lol
Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

I have qtps and would recommend anything else. Makes more power than any other headers out there. Mine fit great and perform flawless. You can get them at summit for little under $700. Dont think you can come close with arh or kooks for that price.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

QTP'S look pretty they dyno higher than anyone else but the quality leaves alot to be desired
Old 04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
ALOT of people have been having issues with the collector leaking in the middle of the primaries. I have a friend with the exact same problem. Do yourself a favor and get either a set of Kooks or American racing headers. Byunspeed has some of the best deals on Kooks. Thats where i got mine.
That's BS. In my years on LS1tech, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a thread concerning a QTP collector that has leaked. I challenge you to search and find more than five instances in LS1tech's history. There were 2 threads that came about at around the same time. I guess 2 sets out of thousands classify as "A LOT of people"?

That being said, the QTP's and Kooks are very similar headers. They are both very high quality. The difference is, QTP's have a better collector, they're polished and they're considerably cheaper. Because of this, I went with QTP's. Kooks y-pipe is slightly better in terms of fitment/ground clearance and it's stainless, but QTP's will outflow it. IMO, either way, a custom y-pipe is the way to go.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
That's BS. In my years on LS1tech, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a thread concerning a QTP collector that has leaked. I challenge you to search and find more than five instances in LS1tech's history. There were 2 threads that came about at around the same time. I guess 2 sets out of thousands classify as "A LOT of people"?

That being said, the QTP's and Kooks are very similar headers. They are both very high quality. The difference is, QTP's have a better collector, they're polished and they're considerably cheaper. Because of this, I went with QTP's. Kooks y-pipe is slightly better in terms of fitment/ground clearance and it's stainless, but QTP's will outflow it. IMO, either way, a custom y-pipe is the way to go.
couldnt help your self could you lol.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Launching!

QTPTaco369 strikes again ... Search + QTP + ChacoTaco369 = 9 pages of threads. Honestly Chaco, I think QTP owes you a sponsorship or T-shirt or SOMETHING... Your brand loyalty is IMPRESSIVE.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:40 PM
8 Second Club

I just installed a set of QTP headers on a car with no problems and they didnt leak.
QTP is the better deal.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crashinaz
QTPTaco369 strikes again ... Search + QTP + ChacoTaco369 = 9 pages of threads. Honestly Chaco, I think QTP owes you a sponsorship or T-shirt or SOMETHING... Your brand loyalty is IMPRESSIVE.
It's not "sponsorship." It's calling out a blatant lie. Grow up. Some people have an agenda to bash other brands. I'm just calling it like it is. Find one single error in my post. Please, try, I beg you.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

QTP's seem to have fitment issues and collector weld problems more and more as of late. They are probably making a lot more headers now that they are carried by more places so the quality suffered a little. They are still really good headers but they have just become more hit or miss. really though I think ARH, QTP's and kooks are all still great headers.

Also Everyone should Give the !Troll Mod a a try. I did it and man its great!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
It's not "sponsorship." It's calling out a blatant lie. Grow up. Some people have an agenda to bash other brands. I'm just calling it like it is. Find one single error in my post. Please, try, I beg you.
Please don't beg Choco'. It suits you too well. If you MUST have me identify the error in your post (not that I mentioned there was one), I bolded it for you ... Not including yourself in that category is your error... Everyone knows you're QTP's greatest fan regardless of the scenario and it gives life meaning for you to advocate the existence of the self proclaimed single best header manufacturer in the solar system... Your debate team would be proud! I bet if you took a poll of people who have visited this thread, 50% did so to see your pro-QTP response... It's entertaining. NOW... Who's "just calling it like it is"? Enjoy your evening and BTW... TSP has a new header out, better get arguing QTP's superiority.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crashinaz
Please don't beg Choco'. It suits you too well. If you MUST have me identify the error in your post (not that I mentioned there was one), I bolded it for you ... Not including yourself in that category is your error... Everyone knows you're QTP's greatest fan regardless of the scenario and it gives life meaning for you to advocate the existence of the self proclaimed estsingle best header manufacturer in the solar system... Your debate team would be proud! I bet if you took a poll of people who have visited this thread, 50% did so to see your pro-QTP response... It's entertaining. NOW... Who's "just calling it like it is"? Enjoy your evening and BTW... TSP has a new header out, better get arguing QTP's superiority.
actualy i was waiting for it lol. and choco dude, there have been more than enough threds on QTPs and their problems. two things. one - im pretty sure you have never seen anything (held) other than QTP's due to your ignorance that they are the best. two - id like for you to show me a dyno that shows an HVMC gaining a **** load over say kooks or dynatechs. lol you dont even have HVMC!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

ARH is the way to go, u wont be dissapointed in fitment with performance, ARH or Kooks, nothing wrong with QTPs its just they have alot of fitment issues
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought Kooks, friend bought QTP. He had to grind the k member to get them to fit AND the collectors leaked. I have NO problems with my Kooks. I am only stating my experience. I have no "agenda" except to give my 2 cents just like you. My kooks were only 820 shipped from Byunspeed.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, that's a heck of a price for Kooks, they are normally over $900 aren't they? Are they Kooks better than the ARH or are they the same?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Qtps!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
Qtps!!!
From what I have read pricing and design are the plus side but quality is not as good. I only purchased a cutout from them. I was less than satisfied and never heard a response from their customer service. I will not take the chance on any headers from them.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 AM
TECH Regular

My QTP's are perfect..... go figure?