Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearing up misconceptions of PCV systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my car is going to blow up if I run a filtered breathers from both valve covers?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do Pinky, I should have a few here in the latest run.

ta_06374, if you have breather filters on each valve cover it will work fine and just emit quite a bit of oil vapor smell. What causes an issue is have a couple of open hoses running off the valve cover nipples and just hanging towards the ground which can ingest unfiltered debris into the crankcase over time.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Breather is usually only used on FI setups & for those that run at high RPM's alot....other wise the stock fresh air source is fine & meets emmissions.
Don't forget the guys that spray big, lol. Great post. My first car had the damn down draft tube and what a freaking mess/smell. Actually i am moving my breather to a remote location due to new custom valve covers.

Robert
Old 05-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I rev mine out to 7,400 NA and will be adding a 300 shot very soon.. It's not a dialy driver, more of a weekend fun truck. Right now I have a single breather, but I was thinking about running tubes down to the header collectors. What do you supose I do?

Last edited by LIL SS; 05-06-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribing...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ta_06374
So my car is going to blow up if I run a filtered breathers from both valve covers?
No, but if you do not have make up air (filtered) coming in & vacuum to "flush" the harmfull & corrosive gasses out you will do damage over time. All you are doing with the breathers is relieving excess crankcase pressure & most of the harmful stuff that flashes off at temp will re-condense into the crankcase & contaminate the oil & corrode the parts not imerrsed in oil.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Outstanding post!
-Joel
Old 05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, so let me get this straight... based on the picture below:

the PCV system works like such:

In through the throttle body, then into the front end of the passenger side valve cover. Through the motor, and out of the back end of the driver side valve cover, yes? Then through the PCV valve, and into the split hose with one end into the back end of the passenger side valve cover, and one end into the intake? Or does it split first, then one end through the PCV valve into the intake and the other into the back end of the passenger valve cover? Basically I'm just curious if the PCV valve comes before the split or after... inline with the single hose running from the split to the intake. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
Okay, so let me get this straight... based on the picture below:

the PCV system works like such:

In through the throttle body, then into the front end of the passenger side valve cover. Through the motor, and out of the back end of the driver side valve cover, yes? Then through the PCV valve, and into the split hose with one end into the back end of the passenger side valve cover, and one end into the intake? Or does it split first, then one end through the PCV valve into the intake and the other into the back end of the passenger valve cover? Basically I'm just curious if the PCV valve comes before the split or after... inline with the single hose running from the split to the intake. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You have it correct except on the way to the PCV valve it splits first & then one line to the PCV valve & the intake. If you use a oil seperating catch can you will just plumb it inline between the one hose & the PCV valve.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

I can't believe I am still seeing the open hoses hanging down ruining motors....just use a little common sense, you do NOT want open unfiltered openings into your motor for dirt & water to get into!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
I can't believe I am still seeing the open hoses hanging down ruining motors....just use a little common sense, you do NOT want open unfiltered openings into your motor for dirt & water to get into!

I did the !AIR mod to my '02 SS awhile ago, and completely removed all of the check valves and lines. There was only one line, coming off of the intake, that was left. It is a small line running to the back of the intake. I didnt have anything at the time to plug it with, so I just wrapped some electrical tape around the end of it. Is this ok? And does this have anything to do w/ the PCV system? Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I havent given this much thought until now.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
I did the !AIR mod to my '02 SS awhile ago, and completely removed all of the check valves and lines. There was only one line, coming off of the intake, that was left. It is a small line running to the back of the intake. I didnt have anything at the time to plug it with, so I just wrapped some electrical tape around the end of it. Is this ok? And does this have anything to do w/ the PCV system? Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I havent given this much thought until now.
To properly breath & to flush out the harmfull vapors from the crankcase you need to have a filtered fresh air inlet..(the OEM setup pulls from the front of the throttle body) and you need a vacuum source to pull out the vapors. So you need a PCV valve & need to be hooked up to the nipple on the intake snout on the passenger side. To eliminate the oil in the intake you need a good functioning oil seperating catch can plumbed inline with the vacuum side.

If you do not, the harmful byproducts of combustion will re-condense into the crankcase every time the motor cools down doing slow damage over time. If you would like, take some detailed pictures & I will guide you on doing it right.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Restricted User

Great post! Thanks for the info!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

RevX site is being re-vamped....should be looking good in about a week.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

looking at the picture above, it would seem that the fresh incoming air would short cycle on the passenger side. Freash air would come in the front port, travel along the top of the rockers, and come out the rear port and then back to the PCV. I am sure it would pull some from the driverside and up from the block, but not as much as flows from just one end of the valve cover to the other. It would make more sense to me, to cap the rear nipple on the passenger side. Then get rid of the Y at the back and just pull all the returning air from the rear of the driverside valve cover.

This would then force all the air to fully travel through the entire block and out the other side. What do you think. I wonder what the reason for the split at the rear was for? Air travels the path of least resistance.

Mike
Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSXSeven
looking at the picture above, it would seem that the fresh incoming air would short cycle on the passenger side. Freash air would come in the front port, travel along the top of the rockers, and come out the rear port and then back to the PCV. I am sure it would pull some from the driverside and up from the block, but not as much as flows from just one end of the valve cover to the other. It would make more sense to me, to cap the rear nipple on the passenger side. Then get rid of the Y at the back and just pull all the returning air from the rear of the driverside valve cover.

This would then force all the air to fully travel through the entire block and out the other side. What do you think. I wonder what the reason for the split at the rear was for? Air travels the path of least resistance.

Mike
Yes, the more complete flow throught the entire crankcase the better, but it will still evac pretty decent as the pic shows. Very good thinking!!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

I am now thinking that maybe they did it this way for a reason. You can not have flow if the system is under vacuum. By allowing the fresh air to come in, you create flow. By having two ports, they may have intentionally wanted the fresh "humid" air to stay out of the block. This way they have the inlet neccessary to creat flow to pull the vapors out without having to run the fresh air around the internals.

Or they just designed it this way cause somebody thought two ports are better than one.

Any info on wheteher your catch can utilizes any stainless mesh inside to help collect oil.

Mike
Old 08-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSXSeven
I am now thinking that maybe they did it this way for a reason. You can not have flow if the system is under vacuum. By allowing the fresh air to come in, you create flow. By having two ports, they may have intentionally wanted the fresh "humid" air to stay out of the block. This way they have the inlet neccessary to creat flow to pull the vapors out without having to run the fresh air around the internals.

Or they just designed it this way cause somebody thought two ports are better than one.

Any info on wheteher your catch can utilizes any stainless mesh inside to help collect oil.

Mike
We tried filter media & it worked until it became saturated & then it allowed some oil to actually pull off of it & out. Our design has a perforated down-tube from the inlet that disperses the vapors evenly to contact as much outer surface as possible for maximum condensing effect. That is what seperates the oil vapor/mist to droplets & being a 1 qt capacity gives probably the most condensing area of any on the market. We also have an integrated PCV check valve as the outlet to control the amount of volume pulled & to prevent any back-flow.

If space is an issue & you cant fit a 1 qt seperator, then Mike Norris makes a great unit that you can use 2 in series with good results. Our mounts on the pass cyl head on NA & Turbo applications, and on the brake booster on SC systems. We make a kit for most any application including the STS rear mount turbos.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very good thread, and thanks to the thread starter.

I have one question. Many LS1 f-body owners have upgraded to the LS6 valley cover (including me). If somebody is using that valley cover should the PCV setup be done as they did it here:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Is blocking off the 2 rear ports on the valve covers good, or should they be left as a supplement to the valley cover?

Thanks

Last edited by bowtieman81; 08-03-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Very good thread, and thanks to the thread starter.

I have one question. Many LS1 f-body owners have upgraded to the LS6 valley cover (including me). I somebody is using that valley cover should the PCV setup be done as they did it here:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Is blocking off the 2 rear ports on the valve covers good, or should they be left as a supplement to the valley cover?

Thanks
also curious...

but it seems to me with that rear port capped on the pass side it will flow through the entire crankcase, back up through the driver's side rockers, then down through the PR holes into the valley cover?

Maybe they had that rear port on the pass side to vent access air rushing through as not to cause too much pressure in the pass side valve cover but to help equalize both sides? remember the older style crankcases didn't vent hardly at all from bay to bay until they cast in those vents into the LS6 block.

Quick Reply: Clearing up misconceptions of PCV systems