Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Z06, Kooks Vs LG

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Z06, Kooks Vs LG

LG Longtubes Vs. Kooks Longtubes:
Which is better and makes more whp?? What size primary 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?? Price not an option. Im looking for the best set that i can drive every day with and will do well when i put the trick flow cam and head package on (515hp). LG looks better if performance is identical cause it comes polished. Just wanted to know opinions before i buy. I have a Vararam and looking for 15713magnaflow axle back and kooks or LG headers and midpipe. I also already have HPTuners software.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Launching!

I would just go with whatever is cheaper since power differences are almost negligible. I am running a cheap set of $400 SSAC headers and am making just as much power as the guys who paid $1600 for a set-up.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have read, the difference is negligible for bolt-on cars. If you plan on modding your Vette more extensively then maybe the 1 7/8's are better for you.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd steer you towards the LG Pro Longtubes. More low and midrange torque at the expense or 1 or 2 rwhp at PEAK. Peak numbers don't get you moving bro. With that being said, Kooks, and ARH are all excellent headers, I just prefer the LG Pro Longtubes. BTW the polished LG headers are the street series, not the pro longtubes. Street series are 2 1/2 inch not 3 inch also. Something to keep in mind.

On the post about cheap headers, I was wondering how thin the material is thats used on the SSAC and do you think that you will have to replace them down the road ?? I am wondering what was sacrificed to make the SSAC's so cheap ?? Quality, fitment, durability, or all the above ??
Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Launching!

If you are really interested in SSAC headers, you can do a search on CorvetteForum since there are threads with hundreds of replies. It's made of the same material and thickness of all the other expensive headers. I've never seen a thread about some sort of failure or problem that wouldn't be experienced with any other brand. I have an early 1st gen set, which I had to mildly modify to work, which was expected since they did not offer a matching mid-pipe at the time. They are currently R&D'ing for the 3rd iteration, which is supposed to include a full mid-pipe and modified 02 bung locations, etc.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Ryan, thanks for the info. I guess the price can stay a lot lower when you don't have to cover advertising, and name brand. Appreciate the comments.

Do you happen to know how much rwhp/rwtq you made before and after the headers were installed and the car was retuned ?? Overlay graph if you have it ??
Old 06-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
It's made of the same material and thickness of all the other expensive headers.
Are you saying they're stainless? Thats awfully damn cheap for stainless headers. I cant see stainless headers being that cheap.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Are you saying they're stainless? Thats awfully damn cheap for stainless headers. I cant see stainless headers being that cheap.
Thats what I was getting at. He kind of skated the issue.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

Hell it costs 250 bucks to coat regular steel headers. JetHot that is. I cant see 400 bucks for high quality headers. Ya get what ya pay for.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I'd steer you towards the LG Pro Longtubes. More low and midrange torque at the expense or 1 or 2 rwhp at PEAK. Peak numbers don't get you moving bro. With that being said, Kooks, and ARH are all excellent headers, I just prefer the LG Pro Longtubes. BTW the polished LG headers are the street series, not the pro longtubes. Street series are 2 1/2 inch not 3 inch also. Something to keep in mind.

On the post about cheap headers, I was wondering how thin the material is thats used on the SSAC and do you think that you will have to replace them down the road ?? I am wondering what was sacrificed to make the SSAC's so cheap ?? Quality, fitment, durability, or all the above ??
I had the LG pro long tubes on my car and was very happy with the power. I do have to say that I had to have the welds welded several times to fix leaks. Not that I had to replace them, but I don't think that is something that should have happened.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

The ss autochrome headers are coated mild steel, not stainless steel.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jkz06
I had the LG pro long tubes on my car and was very happy with the power. I do have to say that I had to have the welds welded several times to fix leaks. Not that I had to replace them, but I don't think that is something that should have happened.
That sucks that you had to deal with getting the welds repaired. I have had mine since 05 and proud to say no issues. Knock on wood. Unless you count picking up 30 rwhp and 40 rwtq a problem. LOL.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

I've seen most all of them crack the welds in different places. I've seen the air tube ports crack at the welds. Just a few weeks ago, I was driving a customers C5, and the drivers side air tube blew off the header tube completely. Just driving down the road minding my own biness. Scared the **** outta me. I thought the freegin car was blowin up!!!
Anyways, moral of the story, I've seen just about all of them crack at the welds somewhere.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Yes, they are uncoated stainless steel headers. I suggest everyone here do some research on them at CF and all of your questions will be answered. Most of these topics and issues have been covered over 2 years ago.

edit:

Read these...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1371492
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1683410

I think some of you are confusing these headers with the current no-name sets on ebay right now. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME HEADERS! You can't buy new SSAC headers right now since they are still in R&D for their newest iteration.

Last edited by Ryan L; 06-02-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

why is this in dyno comparison?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I worked on vettes for a while and saw great numbers with the LGs. Kooks make great headers also but the LGs would be my choice for a vette.