Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP y pipe really that bad??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default QTP y pipe really that bad??

I've got a set of QTP headers and am looking for a y pipe that will fit up with them. The car is not and will not be lowered so I'm not super concerned with ground clearance. I'm coming from TSP duals anyways so I'm used to them hanging kind of low...

But is the design of the QTP y that bad really? As far as flow it looks great with the flowmaster merge, but fitment is where everyone complains. Does anyone have any pictures of how it hangs and fits?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my QTP headers and QTP ORY pipe a couple weeks ago and if i was to do it all over i would definitely just get buy the flowmaster merge collector and have a custom y pipe made. the drivers side hangs too low in my opinion. i'll try to take some pictures and post them up if i can.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mite53
I just installed my QTP headers and QTP ORY pipe a couple weeks ago and if i was to do it all over i would definitely just get buy the flowmaster merge collector and have a custom y pipe made. the drivers side hangs too low in my opinion. i'll try to take some pictures and post them up if i can.

Cool man thank you. I would like to see it before I buy. How's the quality of the piece though?
Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of the box its not that good of a fit. With a little massaging, it will work fine. Mine is okay. I like the whole true merge aspect of it. You could buy the merge and do a custom ypipe setup.

Good luck
Old 06-08-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Out of the box its not that good of a fit. With a little massaging, it will work fine. Mine is okay. I like the whole true merge aspect of it. You could buy the merge and do a custom ypipe setup.

Good luck
Do you by chance have any pictures of it? And what massaging did you have to do with it?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Nah I dont have any pics for you. Each car is different when it comes to fitment. I have QTP HVMC long tubes. We cut a relief in the tube in certain areas which allowed us to bend it a few degrees and re-weld it to achieve a better angle for the pipe to fit. It's kinda hard to explain and a picture wont really show what I mean. Basically, get the pieces together under the car and see what needs to be done. The biggest piece of the puzzle is the true merge. Make sure you have that placed right and provide adequate clearance so that does not hit anything. Lastly, connect to your catback and modify as required.

This is a really vague explanation but you just need to see how yours fits and go from there.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Nah I dont have any pics for you. Each car is different when it comes to fitment. I have QTP HVMC long tubes. We cut a relief in the tube in certain areas which allowed us to bend it a few degrees and re-weld it to achieve a better angle for the pipe to fit. It's kinda hard to explain and a picture wont really show what I mean. Basically, get the pieces together under the car and see what needs to be done. The biggest piece of the puzzle is the true merge. Make sure you have that placed right and provide adequate clearance so that does not hit anything. Lastly, connect to your catback and modify as required.

This is a really vague explanation but you just need to see how yours fits and go from there.
Gotcha man. Thanks. How does it perform?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

I like it a lot because I get ZERO rasp. That's what made me purchase it. The traditional ORY's have a crappy merge which from what I read promotes rasp because the exhaust gas "collides". If I were to do it all over again, I would buy the merge and have a muffler shop make me a custom ypipe. But I wouldn't be afraid to buy the QTP version and "massage" it like I said.

As far as performance, I have no idea. I have not dyno'd my car. It's a bolt on car now. There will be a preliminary dyno run to get a baseline prior to my heads and cam swap. I'm sure once the heads and cam are installed, the QTP ORY will perform well.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

read my post. I am going to custom make a Y pipe. I am selling 3" TDs (O/R H and 1 Chamber FLows)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/933017-my-gathering-qtps-y-pipe.html