Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a cool NEW intake Idea!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 10:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Got a cool NEW intake Idea!!!!

somebody convince pain to build me one of those things....I will pay good $$$$
Old 08-18-2003, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at te MAF inthe LT1, it is after the elbow. No screen on it, and it still works fine. Another thing, can't see one damn picture! I want to see the "Ramair" system sooooo bad after hearing you, but I went to pictures/ram air/ ad went through all the right ---> arrows, and nothing. Anybody?
Pics didn't work for me at home either, but they did work from my job.I have a cable modem at work, perhaps that had something to do with it? I have seen PaiN's ram air before.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too much hot air. you have to bring it in from the outside.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The filter on the MAF will suck in a lot of engine heated air and the flow will not be very good, too much turbrlence.

You want some kind of tubing that is long and as straight as possible to allow the flowing air to achieve laminar flow. You also want the coolest air possible entering the intake manifold. These two factors will provide the maximum amount of oxygen at atmospheric pressure. More oxygen plus more gas means more power.

Ideally you would want 10 pipe diameters ahead of the MAF and 5 past it to allow the air stream to smooth out and be laminar, losing all swirl & turbulence. For a 75mm MAF this would mean 29.5 inches before the MAF and 14.8 inches after the MAF. Pain's set up is about as close to straight as your going to get. 90 degree bends cause more turbulence than 45 degree bends do.

You also want a funnel on the front to allow smooth entry of the air into the tube. An open tube will cause turbulence at the inlet and down into the tube. A conical filter helps but the air will still swirl & be turbulent inside the filter.

Pain has a very good setup, but that is a lot of modification to do. For most people, just make sure that you have the coolest air possible coming into the intake manifold.

Randy