Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Mysterious leak in my LS1 part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Mysterious leak in my LS1 part II

I took my used '98z28 to the GM dealer today. It was the power steering unit that was dripping fluid onto my dust boot (thanks for everyone who explained what that was last time). My API extended warranty will cover the diagnostic check, steering work, and rental car.

But my question is, GM also recommended I flush the power steering fluid for $132.00 that i'd have to pay. Is it worth it? car has 41,860 miles. thanks

Old 08-18-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Help! Mysterious leak in my LS1 part II

We do power steering flushes where I work. The machine draws fluid out of the power steering resevouir installs new fluid, the car is then started,the steering cycled left and right several minutes and the procedure repeated. It is not a 100% complete flush but the fluid looks tremendously clean. This service has helped many Ford vehicles that have many models of early to mid 90's that have noisy power steering. Oh by the way we charge 45 dollars.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn...that's a lot cheaper than what GM quoted.

i'll just take my chances and see if the leak is fixed.

anyone else?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

just wanted to keep you guys updated:

There was a seal leak in my steering gear. The left outer rack seal. GM replaced power steering pump, adjusted toe, replaced steering gear, bled air from system.

total: $1122.69

API warranty covered it all except for a $25 hazardous disposal fee

GM also recommended a power steering fluid flush for 133.00 which i declined. Went to a smaller shop which did it for $72.90
Old 08-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I am a GM tech and we do theflush but our machine runs while the car is running, it fills the pump while sucking at the same time, we adjust the flow so it is the same and turn the stearing wheel so it gets all the fluid thru the rack it flows enouf fluid to replace 99% of the old fluid and takes about 45 min. to do. it does work and is worth it.

Ken
Old 08-21-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am a GM tech and we do theflush but our machine runs while the car is running, it fills the pump while sucking at the same time, we adjust the flow so it is the same and turn the stearing wheel so it gets all the fluid thru the rack it flows enouf fluid to replace 99% of the old fluid and takes about 45 min. to do. it does work and is worth it.

Ken
Ken

I thought about this flush after getting it done at another shop and now wish I had had it done at GM. It makes sense that GM would do a much more thorough job especially if they had been able to take the system apart...i guess the more old fluid they could've removed vs the smaller shop. IT's just that I really didn't have the money to afford the GM fee. Thanks for explaining the process-- that to me justifies the higher price a bit more.