Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car with 3' true duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New car with 3' true duals

I just bought a new car that has heads and cam and a 3" true dual set up. I hate the sound of it. It has way to much rasp and is just too loud. it is run all the way to the back and dumped at the rear bumper with flowmaster single chamber mufflers. I Am pretty sure I am going to swap it back to a off road y pipe with a cat back. Any suggestions ?? It sounds great ideling but with any throttle it is just obnoxious. would swaping the mufflers quiet it down maybe? It sounds like a farm truck with glass packs on steroids.

Last edited by bigfatls6; 07-04-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mufflers will make a big difference in the sound. I had bullets on mine and couldn't stand it, went through 4 sets of mufflers before I found ones that worked the way I wanted. Tastes vary, what you may like others will hate. In my opinion it's your car and you are the one that has to drive it. Ask a competent muffler shop what kind of mufflers suit your taste and then try them. LS1sounds.com I think has a good set of videos of different mufflers and combinations.

There's no need to go y-pipe if sound and rasp is what you want to fix.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

They have the single camber flow masters right before where it dumps at the back bumper. I really didn't want to have to spend the money to go back to a y pipe but this thing is just rediculous. I hate it.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

swap just the mufflers, leave the duals. magnaflow maybe?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Teching In

i put two bullit like glass pack 3' long before the mufflers after the headers and that ugly sound was gone
Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I have yet to hear - or hear of, for that matter - a muffler that sounds reasonably quiet with duals on our cars. Not to say it doesn't exist, but I have no idea what it might be.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

To get duals really quiet using a full size muffler may be necessary. I know I had to. Most "bullet" size mufflers will not have enough dampening to quiet down the noise. They may get rid of rasp, resonance or annoying qualities of exhaust, BUT they will not significantly reduce the dB of the exhaust.

I used some 3 inch full size mufflers that are single chambers but due to the size and the offset of the intake and exhaust sides of the muffler the dual sound is kept but the dB is reduced a lot. The only problem is that they are quite visible from the back but you don't really focus on the mufflers unlike the giant 315's which give my car a crazy mean stance. Besides, I don't care what my car looks like from the back, I tend not to follow my own car.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have installed a ton of exhausts and hand built plenty. i just did a true dual setup with american racing longtubes (great fit btw, writeup to come), x pipe yada yada and i ran 5x8 magnaflow mufflers. with all my experience i get questioned a lot about what sounds good, because that happens to be my specific area of tallent.. i ran a big block FE truck in highschool that has had 5 different exhaust setups.. literally no BS. im particular - the sounds is a really big part of me enjoying my vehicle. i recently did an 05 stang that sounds uckfing ridonkulous.. and it has landed me jobs on a roush stage III a c6 vette and a viper. last thanksgiving i did a saleen s281 extreme that sounded awesome with the center exit magnaflow as well. well this time - on my own dang car.. i dropped the ball.

in the past my personal mustangs/cobra liked straight thorugh mufflers and sounded AWESOME with either a prochamber (made my MAC) or an X. i used magnaflow on the 4V cobra and hooker maxflow's on the pushrod car. ive got an X on the camaro (im going to post pics soon, many of you will not believe your eyes) and it also sounds like a G-damned farm truck on roids also. dont go magnaflow with your setup. i know what sounds good, because i got compliments everywhere i went.. my camaro sounds like ****.

a quick taste of my notchback.. shitty video that only caught half the action.. but deal with it - http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ar-bnestok.flv

no worries ill fix it, im just sayin dont waste your time with (full bodied) magnaflows, maybe magnapacks would sound (slightly) better.. but not a full bodied muffler. its plenty quiet and no rasp at all.. but get this.. its OVERLY bassy.. its TOO deep if you can believe that.. its like havin a 15" subwoofer crammed in your ear at idle (stock cam currently - so a constant tone with no cam to break it up and chop) magnaflows make great power, and dont get me wrong, witht he windows rolled up its 100% livable almost luxury car quiet until you hit the pedal.. but the tone is just shitpants.. sounds just like a 5.3 chevy truck with a flowmaster and a turndown

im going to go with a chambered muffler very very soon - my reputation almost rides on my exhaust as its kind of a side business for me since i now have access to a lift and a good 220 mig machine, so i cant be riddn around in a damn dump truck sounding camaro. i may try spintech - also had those (spintech sportsman XL's) on a vortech'd and stroked pushrod 331 car in the past and they sounded mean as **** but they give up a lil hp.. but the car still made nearly 700rwhp on 14lbs, 93 octane and 16* of timing - through a 4K converter so who cares. eff it thats what the bottle is for.

im not the be all end all of exhaust or opinions - im just offering up mine becuase ive wasted a lot of money lol. tryin to keep you from doin the same and hope you find your happy setup. good luck
Old 07-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

A buddy went so far as to squeeze Flowmaster 40's under the rear of his T/A, but nothin' doin' ... it was still waay loud. After developing a severe headache one day, he went back to a Y and catback..
Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Muahaha ya'll are wussies
Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

I tried to endure the dB that bullets give...

Drove it for a weekend before I tried some other options. 2 hours of loud for highway driving + the thought of coming in at 3 am to neighbors that will want to kill you in the morning was enough to convince me that bullets may sound cool, but in reality just don't work. Also have to consider the **** cops in the vicinity where I live.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

swap mufflers

good duals > any y setup. period

the magnaflows I've heard sound amazing
Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Launching!

I have tds with spiral flows and catted sounds nice and throaty but not crazy. I know people with louder y pipe with lm1 or 2. But I don't have a cam, well not till a week and a half
Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
I have tds with spiral flows and catted sounds nice and throaty but not crazy. I know people with louder y pipe with lm1 or 2. But I don't have a cam, well not till a week and a half
I have heard it!

Sounds good, but not obnoxiously loud.
Cats help for quieting down the exhaust.