Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fstphx
Yea as a step from the LS1 its a good move-
I had a buddy in the local club trying to sell one not to long ago, so I had ths bookmarked- a good article if you get bored-
http://www.tpis.com/plog/index.php?o...Id=14&blogId=1
lol according to that artical not only did it make 16 less HP and torque then the LS6 manifold but the LS1 intake also beat it by 2hp and 6tq
Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just go with the LS6.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:02 PM
MASS seller approved

ported weiand would be my choice
Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Well if you want to buy a convection oven for a intake that would be a good one!! Get a LS6 manifold.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

enough with the heat soak crap... proof of the gains below

and

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_07...old/index.html
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
enough with the heat soak crap... proof of the gains below

and

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_07...old/index.html
The BBK is not in question, atleast with me. if it makes you feel better which im sure it will since you keep throwing in your opinion on the BBK. yes its better then the stocker LS1 or weiand, and will actually give you a small gain over the LS1 intake. (btw, its still heavier then the LS1, uglier then both the weiand and LS1 intakes, and not to forget its aluminum just messing with you )
Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JASON 77
any one have any info for this intake. this would be for N20 as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...spagenameZWDVW
I have it's counter part, the 96 MM Typhoon intake from Pro Products. My friend has the Weiand , both good intakes and they deliver what they claim. Don't fall for all the crap you hear about heat soak with a aluminum intake
Old 08-12-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
(btw, its still heavier then the LS1, uglier then both the weiand and LS1 intakes, and not to forget its aluminum just messing with you )
You ***!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I think heat soak is an issue with the LS motors. After all they all have aluminum heads
Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

haha heat soak once again.....I remember the comp polymers upper intake for the 5liter ford...rite in its advertisement it said"NOT FOR USE WITH NITROUS"but polymer intakes just came out in the late 90's...atleast that is what one will think if they read this stupid thread...**** your weak *** ugly plastic intake.....

Ill put any amount of money on my wieand outflowing any ls6 intake.......these intakes have alot of porting material...
Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
haha heat soak once again.....I remember the comp polymers upper intake for the 5liter ford...rite in its advertisement it said"NOT FOR USE WITH NITROUS"but polymer intakes just came out in the late 90's...atleast that is what one will think if they read this stupid thread...**** your weak *** ugly plastic intake.....

Ill put any amount of money on my wieand outflowing any ls6 intake.......these intakes have alot of porting material...
Someone got offended LOL
try stock for stock, not your ported paper weight vs. an ls6
Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

So does anyone have any flow numbers BBK or weiand VS LS6? Im thinking one would look really good under my hood!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

kc, dont get the bbk, its mettal and gets too hot,
Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know but it looks so good. Honestly though I have money going to other places right now.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know for sure about the heat soke but if you buy the idea that when the blade opens and sucks fresh air into the manifold the air does not spend enough time in the manifold to absorb the heat then you also have to buy the idea that a bag of ice on the intake to cool it would not matter to the air being sucked through it either.

Personally I think the heat soak is an issue albeit very small, making it not really much of an issue.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

<------------ PHOENIX, AZ

NO ISSUES!!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I dont know for sure about the heat soke but if you buy the idea that when the blade opens and sucks fresh air into the manifold the air does not spend enough time in the manifold to absorb the heat then you also have to buy the idea that a bag of ice on the intake to cool it would not matter to the air being sucked through it either.

Personally I think the heat soak is an issue albeit very small, making it not really much of an issue.
This heat soak issue between either a composit or aluminum intake is getting to be a joke. Heat soak issues with the 2 manifolds are minimum at best. Some people still think the composit intake was made to help with Heat Soak. It was actually made because it is much cheaper and easier to make when compared to a forged intake. I don't care how warm a intake gets. The air flows through it quickly enough not to have time to heat up. The intake gets its heat from the heads and the rest of the engine. I did a little test one time using a Laser digital thermomiter used in the Aircraft industry.. One on a stock LS2 intake and one on my car with the 96 MM typhoon. The actual temp on the Typhoon was less then 10 degrees hotter then the Composit LS2, NO BIG DEAL. If heat soak was so crucial, why would anyone use a maggie. Aluminum disapates heat faster then a composit intake .
Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Obviously there's something to the heat soak theory or hair dryers wouldn't work and would blow cold air. There's obviously some transfer, but it isn't worth worrying about in this application.

Now, let's say the "heated" manifold at 6000 RPM heated the air 10 degrees while passing through it, which is a HUGE stretch, no way it would pick up that much heat exchange in the small amount of time it's spending going through the intake at WOT...

So, following that exaggerated argument, how much affect would even 10 degrees difference make in the combustion chamber ? Remember, this temp difference isn't measured at the IAT so it doesn't affect tuning calculations for timing/fueling/etc.

Also, remember that all TPI f-body and LT1 cars came with aluminum intakes. Didn't seem to matter then so much, and it's not like there's a big aftermarket for composite LT1 intakes...

Is a composite intake better ? Sure. They're lighter weight and don't retain ANY heat. ...but if you want it port matched or you want to boost the crap out of it, or you want to polish it for show, you may be better off with aluminum.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Obviously there's something to the heat soak theory or hair dryers wouldn't work and would blow cold air. There's obviously some transfer, but it isn't worth worrying about in this application.

Now, let's say the "heated" manifold at 6000 RPM heated the air 10 degrees while passing through it, which is a HUGE stretch, no way it would pick up that much heat exchange in the small amount of time it's spending going through the intake at WOT...

So, following that exaggerated argument, how much affect would even 10 degrees difference make in the combustion chamber ? Remember, this temp difference isn't measured at the IAT so it doesn't affect tuning calculations for timing/fueling/etc.

Also, remember that all TPI f-body and LT1 cars came with aluminum intakes. Didn't seem to matter then so much, and it's not like there's a big aftermarket for composite LT1 intakes...

Is a composite intake better ? Sure. They're lighter weight and don't retain ANY heat. ...but if you want it port matched or you want to boost the crap out of it, or you want to polish it for show, you may be better off with aluminum.

Rob (Bad30th)
Aluminum intakes have been the back bone of hi performance cars for a long time and they are here to stay, and in street applications the difference in heat retained by the Composit and non composit intakes are minimal. Not even worth worring about.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well how about this one...
Arent alot of high performance cars running sheet metal intakes?
just for conversation