Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weiand intake

any one have any info for this intake. this would be for N20 as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by JASON 77; 07-09-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Lightbulb

I don't have any experience with that intake. Apparently BIG_MIKE2005 does, see his post below.

Last edited by sschkade; 07-09-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sschkade
however it's made out of aluminum. It might not make a huge difference, but the metal intakes obviously heat soak (retains heat) worse than the polymer intakes (e.g. - stock LS1, stock LS6, FAST intakes, or the new polymer Weiand).
oh dear god here we go again. Everyone always talks about heat soak. But if they actually knew what was goin on they would know it's not goin to affect performance. The ONLY time the air temps are gonna go up a little are sitting at a stoplight. Once the TB blade opens & fresh air enters the intake manifold the air is NOT inside the intake long enough for intake manifold surface temps to effect it.

I'm pretty sure this aluminum Weiand CAN'T be pulled apart and ported - atleast to my knowledge. You could still port it, but probably not as much (and it would be harder).
There is a removable plate on the bottom that allows access to the interior of the intake that was placed there exactly for porting. It's not hard to do & you can open up the intake quite a bit.

I have a Weiand Lingenfelter intake manifold that I sent to Bo White to get ported out & matched to a set of 5.3 heads he did for me. It's goin on my new forged motor at the end of the year along with my current H/C combo.

There can be some great advantages to a aluminum intake manifold. Especially if you ever wanna run boost or nitrous. With nitrous the Aluminum is gonna get colder than composite while your spraying. Granted it may only yeild a minimum effect. But if you have a backfire you won't be buying a new intake & picking up 1000 little pieces. Also if you have time between runs at a event you can ice the intake down.

Fact is alot of the people who will bash the Aluminum intake have never even ran one or owned one. they heard from a friend of a friend or read something on the internet negative about them & set their opinion on that.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

I had one hand ported to match my stock valved 853 casting ported heads with a 224 cam and put down 415/390 and ran a 12.76 @ 114 with a 2.2 60'. I had no issues and loved the way it looked. It did get hot as hell though for a daily driver.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your interested in the intake give us a call direct at 573-552-1855. And yes heat soak on these intakes is a myth. thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
oh dear god here we go again. Everyone always talks about heat soak. But if they actually knew what was goin on they would know it's not goin to affect performance. The ONLY time the air temps are gonna go up a little are sitting at a stoplight. Once the TB blade opens & fresh air enters the intake manifold the air is NOT inside the intake long enough for intake manifold surface temps to effect it.
Just my opinion, but I think that the heat soak problem does exist.
Obviously it's not going to absolutely kill performance, and that's why I said "It might not make a huge difference."

The idea is simple and easy to comprehend, metal conducts and retains heat more than a composite or polymer material. Whatever though, you can go ahead and deny this.

I guess we could argue all day long, but when it comes down to it we need a real world test. Although I won't be wasting my money to perform this test. I'll just stay with the simple idea that heat soak does happen and although it doesn't make a big difference, it's changing the air temperatures in some way or another.

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Especially if you ever wanna run boost or nitrous. With nitrous the Aluminum is gonna get colder than composite while your spraying. Granted it may only yeild a minimum effect. But if you have a backfire you won't be buying a new intake & picking up 1000 little pieces.
FYI there is a burst panel kit for the FAST intakes. It alleviates this problem.

Also, you said "with nitrous the Aluminum is gonna get colder" ... yet you deny heat soak is going to have the same/opposite (minimal) impact?

<Sarcasm>
So lets see, you run nitrous constantly (every where you drive your spraying?) and therefore the aluminum gets colder. Because of this, it outweighs the negatives of heat soak.
</Sarcasm>

Last edited by sschkade; 07-09-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by heavy6.0
if your interested in the intake give us a call direct at 573-552-1855. And yes heat soak on these intakes is a myth. thanks!

sent you a message in the link above. wondering about this intake for spraying effects
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Obviously it's not going to absolutely kill performance, and that's why I said "It might not make a huge difference."

The idea is simple and easy to comprehend, metal conducts and retains heat more than a composite or polymer material. Whatever though, you can go ahead and deny this.

I guess we could argue all day long, but when it comes down to it we need a real world test. Although I won't be wasting my money to perform this test. I'll just stay with the simple idea that heat soak does happen and although it doesn't make a big difference, it's changing the air temperatures in some way or another.

FYI there is a burst panel kit for the FAST intakes. It alleviates this problem.

Also, you said "with nitrous the Aluminum is gonna get colder" ... yet you deny heat soak is going to have the same/opposite (minimal) impact?

<Sarcasm>
So lets see, you run nitrous constantly (every where you drive your spraying?) and therefore the aluminum gets colder. Because of this, it outweighs the negatives of heat soak.
</Sarcasm>

LOL, you crack me up man. Go ahead and stay on the heak soak bandwagon.

Never did I deny the intake wouldn't get warm, but like I said above it's not enough to matter. Especially not when the car is actually moving.

I could care less what you believe as far as heak soak & it's effect, but if you have no aluminum intake experience then you shouldn't spread info your not even sure of to begin with.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a question. Heat soak only occurs when the engine is turned off and for only for the first 10 - 15 minutes. Heat soak does not occur when the engine is running. After a motor has been idling for 3 mins or so the heat soak issue is not present. All cars heat soak per say but none of which matter to anything. So the difference between the aluminum and polymer intakes is mainly weight and looks. Why do people try to use that as an excuse that someone should not get a certain intake? Its stupid. Heat soak issue just needs to die off. I purchased an aluminum intrake as well for my N2O application. I personally have not seen that intake before but I would just search for fitment mainly. Good luck
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah... Right..... Just ask the nitrous guys that have popped their intakes into pieces even while using the burst pannels. A nitrous explosion is far too violent to be properly vented by this type of system. It may work for some, but not always, especially on bigger shots. For a nitrous car, an aluminum intake is definately a bit of added safety.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

<Sarcasm>
</Sarcasm>
<smart ***>
so you've owned a aluminum manifold before and done tests back to back composite vs aluminum? oh wait right here you say you haven't
<smart ***>
correct me if i'm wrong but there are quite afew automakers who have aluminum intakes, maybe they know something you don't and have done tests your not willin to do or accept

until someone can show me proof heat soak is a real issue i call BS on the heat soak theory
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by King Nothing
correct me if i'm wrong but there are quite afew automakers who have aluminum intakes, maybe they know something you don't and have done tests your not willin to do or accept

until someone can show me proof heat soak is a real issue i call BS on the heat soak theory
I thought pretty much all new vehicles now a days are equipped with a polymer intake? at least with GM, ford, and dodge. That tends to lead me to believe that its a direct result of the millions of dollars that automakers spend on research and development trying to come up with the best performing most efficient product. also after market manufacturers building in polymer says something. the FAST which is designed by well respected Wilson manifolds and even weiands new one is poly.

the aluminum LSX weiand intake came out by a company who had a long history of making aluminum intakes at a time when there was nothing else offered by after market. at that time polymer intakes were new technology for everyone and hated on as being "plastic crap" they have since proven themselves.

Heres an example, 5 or 6 years ago the badass setup to have was the GAINT TR224 cam. there are still people who still swear by it but we all know there are better products out there now that have been developed depending on what you want to accomplish. Weiand has proven this point by switching to a polymer design in its new and soon to be released street warrior intake.

I understand the alum weiand has its place with the LSX as its strong as for forced induction etc... but for a normal everyday N/A or Spray(under 150-200) application my vote is to stay with a polymer. also unported a weiand is not going to flow any better either since it was basically made off the LS6 mold

Last edited by 69_YENKO; 07-23-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

check out my numbers in my sig... that's with a BBK Aluminum Intake Manifold IN PHOENIX, AZ!!!!!!!!!!

I drive it daily... no issues guys...
Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Launching!

It still wont flow any better than an LS6- the only advantage would be more strength in case of a rare backfire... Set your kit up right and use your head and you don't have to worry about that- Save your $$ and put it elsewhere IMO

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Yeah... Right..... Just ask the nitrous guys that have popped their intakes into pieces even while using the burst pannels. A nitrous explosion is far too violent to be properly vented by this type of system. It may work for some, but not always, especially on bigger shots. For a nitrous car, an aluminum intake is definately a bit of added safety.
And every one of those popped intakes have admitted to cutting corners on their system-
Its there own fault every time-
Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Heres an example, 5 or 6 years ago the badass setup to have was the GAINT TR224 cam. there are still people who still swear by it but we all know there are better products out there now that have been developed depending on what you want to accomplish.
Remember those days? Someone would say they're going with the TR224 and everyone else would be like "OMG dude, ya sure ya wanna go that radical, what about your idle and drivability, DON'T do it man!"
Now a 224 (and even a 230) cam is considered a baby cam LOL.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fstphx
It still wont flow any better than an LS6- the only advantage would be more strength in case of a rare backfire... Set your kit up right and use your head and you don't have to worry about that- Save your $$ and put it elsewhere IMO

And every one of those popped intakes have admitted to cutting corners on their system-
Its there own fault every time-
thats what I was getting at
Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Remember those days? Someone would say they're going with the TR224 and everyone else would be like "OMG dude, ya sure ya wanna go that radical, what about your idle and drivability, DON'T do it man!"
Now a 224 (and even a 230) cam is considered a baby cam LOL.
its crazy how far along things has come over the years.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

i still rather have the LS6 intake. but for nitrous an aluminum would be safe. i actually beleive in the heat soak theory, to me the aluminum, the colder it is the cooler it will stay, and the hotter it is well it will get pretty damm hot. for the composite, it doesent change temps much but if it does it will go right back to neutral temps and it also wont get that cold either so ice packs or non of that **** would help
Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fstphx
It still wont flow any better than an LS6- Save your $$ and put it elsewhere
if you do not have a LS6 the price is very close. i think i will go with the aluminum for added security for the spray.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JASON 77
if you do not have a LS6 the price is very close. i think i will go with the aluminum for added security for the spray.
Yea as a step from the LS1 its a good move-
I had a buddy in the local club trying to sell one not to long ago, so I had ths bookmarked- a good article if you get bored-
http://www.tpis.com/plog/index.php?o...Id=14&blogId=1