Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you run an aluminum intake manifold chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you run an aluminum intake manifold chime in!

I have the BBK manifold on my car, and I have run into issues with heat soak, I run with this evo, and when it's 80-90 degrees out he beats me by a fender, when it's 75-80 degrees out were dead even, when it's 70-75 degrees out i beat him by a fender and when it's 65-70 degrees out i win by a car or more. I can only chalk this up to heatsoask?

either way, I was wondering if anyone has devised some sort of CO2 sprayer system for our aluminum manifolds? I think it's be a decent idea, assuming it wasn't cost prohibitive.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not heat soak. That is simply the cooler air being denser hence the car runs slightly better. You will have that with any engine and any intake, plastic or not.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
That is not heat soak. That is simply the cooler air being denser hence the car runs slightly better. You will have that with any engine and any intake, plastic or not.
Well then in, theory my method of cooling the intake manifold should make the air denser, correct?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with your mods you woulda been fine with the ls6 intake, and would have never worried about "heat soak"
Old 07-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
with your mods you woulda been fine with the ls6 intake, and would have never worried about "heat soak"
I got too good of a deal on the Aluminum to pass it up, and not to mention It is alumninum so i can cool it unlike a fast or LS6
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Launching!

I guess i could always run N20, and then it wont matter lol
Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

That has nothing to do with heat soak. Heat soak only occurs when a vehicle is run then shut off. For a short period of time the vehicle increases in temperature do to lack of air flow and coolant flow. Hence the SOAK part of the name. When coolant and air are flowing throughout the motor heat soak does not occur. Your senario is caused simply by cooler air charge. But if it were me instead of by a setup for CO2. I would do it for nitrous.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 AM
8 Second Club

Agreed, the cooler denser air is going to make the turbocharged Evo respond way better than your N/A car will.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by veee8
Agreed, the cooler denser air is going to make the turbocharged Evo respond way better than your N/A car will.
but, I beat the evo when it's colder out?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
8 Second Club

oops read it wrong, there goes that theory! What does come into play, intake air temp. The factory tune is real aggressive in pulling timing due to IAT's. Even if it is tuned that may still be an issue.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Launching!

oops read it wrong, there goes that theory! What does come into play, intake air temp. The factory tune is real aggressive in pulling timing due to IAT's. Even if it is tuned that may still be an issue.
Yea it was prolly high 60's low 70's when my car was tuned, and i think his car was tuned in 85-90 degree weather, think that has something to do with it?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

man it could be just driver error, way too many variables
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

simple Get a ls6 intake and i bet you beat him! Take that hot, heavy intake off and sell it ASAP! I have seen one person pick up 11whp with both dyno's being at same operating temperature and another car pick up 2 tenths getting rid of that intake and getting a ls6 intake if you are not running a ton of nitrous i would get rid of it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

No sense in selling your BBK intake. You might gain a few hp on a dyno, but it will still get slower when the temp. goes up. Swapping intakes will not change your outcome.
Need another mod or a tune, or both.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Oh hell throw a 100 shot and walk his ***. I bet that intake will be cooler after a run!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

other way around. The evo will run at lets say 20psi wether it is cold out with dense air or hot out with thin air it will still have the same boost as controlled by the computer. Your car will lose power in hot air because it is not being forced into your motor like the evo is having done to it. So on colder days you get a better charge then on a warm day. The evo's turbo most of the time will make more boost then is needed so it will have the same charge reguardless of the temperature where your car will suffer due to the air density. Hope this helps
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
other way around. The evo will run at lets say 20psi wether it is cold out with dense air or hot out with thin air it will still have the same boost as controlled by the computer. Your car will lose power in hot air because it is not being forced into your motor like the evo is having done to it. So on colder days you get a better charge then on a warm day. The evo's turbo most of the time will make more boost then is needed so it will have the same charge reguardless of the temperature where your car will suffer due to the air density. Hope this helps
that is exactly what i thought was happening, thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
No sense in selling your BBK intake. You might gain a few hp on a dyno, but it will still get slower when the temp goes up. Swapping intakes will not change your outcome.
Need another mod or a tune, or both.

Not as much as the plastic ls6 intake! It dosnt get any hotter it stays about the same. Also with the extra heat the alu intakes puts out makes it less fuel efficient. Why do you think you see more and more new car running the plastic intakes Plus that aluminum bitch is heavy lol
Old 07-16-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS
I guess i could always run N20, and then it wont matter lol
+99990099090990
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
Not as much as the plastic ls6 intake! It dosnt get any hotter it stays about the same. Also with the extra heat the alu intakes puts out makes it less fuel efficient. Why do you think you see more and more new car running the plastic intakes Plus that aluminum bitch is heavy lol
"It dosnt get any hotter it stays about the same. Also with the extra heat the alu intakes puts out makes it less fuel efficient."
You realize you just contradicted yourself, right? I have never seen or heard of an aluminum intake making a car get worse mpg. Please explain.
More cars do seem to be running plastic intakes; but I can gurantee it is because of something the bean counters say, not for performance.
Yes the aluminum intake weighs a few pounds more. And you will never see 10 lbs make a difference on the track or the street.

To the original poster: If you still have a stock TB or a ported stock TB and you think a mod is needed, buy an 85mm TB and utilize the 85mm opening of the BBK intake. You might also get better results with some suspension mods if you don't have many.