Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside to an underdrive pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Downside to an underdrive pulley?

I'm sure this has been covered, but I have been searching and found nothing. I am looking to buy a 25% UDP and I was wondering if there is a downside to them, like putting a strain on engine components? Also while Im asking noob questions, do I need a different belt if I buy one?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

should work on the same belt. Only downsides ive heard are dim'd lights
Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the quick reply Dimmed lights? If thats all, then Im sold. I heard that it burns out some of your components a lot quicker. Anyone dyno there car before and after a Underdrive pulley?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought mine and needed diff belt(s)? and have not had any dimming of the headlights. the oil temp does like to raise up when i get on it but I have heard thats normal. the underdrive pulleys don't add too much HP it's a slight difference but nothing "OMG"
Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No problems here.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the ASP crank pulley and to me it was worth almost a tenth.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

You will find that when idling your voltage will drop to about 8-9 vdc. This will appear as dimmer lighting, slower heat/ac fan speed and slower turn signal blinking. These symptoms will disappear as soon as you give it some gas and the rpm's get above 1000.
Now as far as premature damaging of components, here is what happens. When the voltage source for an item drops the amount of current draw increases. This will translate into higher temperatures in the wiring and the item being run. Heat will shorten the life of most anything electrical, by how much will depend on each individual item.
I have run an underdrive pulley for over 120K miles. So far, I still have the original alternator, dash lights, headlight motors, heater fan. Only electrical items I have had to change are window motors (no surprise here), headlights (they all go eventually) and the ignition switch (now this one i suspect as possibly being due to the lower voltage).
I say this because the plastic near all the terminals was melted and the contacts were pitted. Now to be fair there was 142K miles on the switch and it may have just gotten old. But being an electronics person it did look to me like a high current draw type damage. It was an easy fix and cheap too.
Dyno test showed an 8 HP gain, it was the first modification done to the car.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OEM_TA
You will find that when idling your voltage will drop to about 8-9 vdc. This will appear as dimmer lighting, slower heat/ac fan speed and slower turn signal blinking. These symptoms will disappear as soon as you give it some gas and the rpm's get above 1000.
Now as far as premature damaging of components, here is what happens. When the voltage source for an item drops the amount of current draw increases. This will translate into higher temperatures in the wiring and the item being run. Heat will shorten the life of most anything electrical, by how much will depend on each individual item.
I have run an underdrive pulley for over 120K miles. So far, I still have the original alternator, dash lights, headlight motors, heater fan. Only electrical items I have had to change are window motors (no surprise here), headlights (they all go eventually) and the ignition switch (now this one i suspect as possibly being due to the lower voltage).
I say this because the plastic near all the terminals was melted and the contacts were pitted. Now to be fair there was 142K miles on the switch and it may have just gotten old. But being an electronics person it did look to me like a high current draw type damage. It was an easy fix and cheap too.
Dyno test showed an 8 HP gain, it was the first modification done to the car.
Wow, Nice explaination!!

I have an ASP crank and need different belts!!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work explaining that. I am actually an electrician and I couldn't have put it better myself, good work!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
Nice work explaining that. I am actually an electrician and I couldn't have put it better myself, good work!
Thanks I do get lucky now & then.
I guess I did not forget everything I learned college ....way back in the dark ages of the mid-70's.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I aint got college but I do have 5 years OJT on helicopters (Afghanistan and the like). Not to mention everybodys cars that have elec problems. Good to know I ain't the only one who thought it was a good thing to have around cars. Dont know anything about a cam but put a wiring diagram there and I do alright...
Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Great thread, I'm looking into an ASP Pulley myself. What belt will I need when I get this?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

^^^ I bought both belts when I got my ASP installed( Gates) you can get'em anywhere, I hope this helps
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transamblack
Great thread, I'm looking into an ASP Pulley myself. What belt will I need when I get this?
Belts #'s are 760k6 and 378k4. Got them from Advance Auto Parts
Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a over drive pulley for the alternator to help with low rpm voltage drop. This is from Thunder Racing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Overdrive Alternator Pulley - Recommended for automatic cars to help bring alternator speeds back to near stock levels without sacrificing too much horsepower. Extremely important for vehicles with high accessory drag such as cars with lots of stereo modifications.

Underdrive Alternator Pulley - Recommended mainly for track use. Not recommended for daily street use due to low alternator charging.

Alt PulleyPulley Part #AC Belt #Access. Belt #
Overdrive49-54012011-378K411-755K6
Underdrive49-54008411-378K411-770K6Stock -11-378K411-760K6

Last edited by Randy WS6; 08-04-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Nobody's mentioned this one yet. With an automatic ONLY, you will need the overdrive alternater pulley. Only with the automatics do little annoyances arise such as dimming headlights and that type thing. If you've got a 6spd as I do, then you won't need the overdrive pulley for the alt and your electronics will be just fine. My underdrive pulley only added to my lack of traction. I just bought another "fix traction issues" mod recently though I should be able to put my full bolt on power down on the track nicely now
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, I didnt expect to get this much info out of this thread! not bad, 8 hp for a pulley
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was going to get one at one point. But my friend took his turbo car out on its maiden voyage to the track and every pass was getting faster and faster till he got it to a 12.0 and than the car died in the staging lanes. It had a dead battery. He switched back to the stock pulley and never had a problem sense. Thats the sole reason I wont get one is because when I'm shooting for 11's I know its gonna come back and **** me
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

yea that was me, first passes with old kit on stock motor with 5 psi. i was very pissed, so close! However, to put the puzzle together, i had my lights on, all guages inside had lights, car was sitting in 3rd as i was up next, had a scavenge pump running, etc. So all accessories plus more were running so having the underdrive pulley didnt not supply enough at the time and killed it.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

was it a 10% or a 25%? or does it really matter? I just saw an 80% one on ebay for 90 bucks, but im sure its overkill

Quick Reply: Downside to an underdrive pulley?