Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 06:13 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I have always wanted to use this phrase: I have the Borla adjustable and love it. Yeah boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
Old 08-23-2008 | 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

I've already had tons of compliments and people constantly asking me what the exhaust is..
Old 08-24-2008 | 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

You made the right choice.

Enjoy.

Frat
Old 08-24-2008 | 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

i assume you're running it wide open.

which is the same as running a $40 cutout

you just have sexier tips i guess.

as long as your happy with your $800 purchase.

that's all that matters
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by teke184

that's all that matters
I don't want a cut out that ends in the middle of the exhaust. I don't just have sexier tips. Its 3" and its stainless. It was $700 .. Why do you give a ****? You didn't pay for it. And its not the same as running a cutout. Some of us actually make good money and don't need to cut corners. I'm not racing the car,I just wanted better sound. A cut out is either open or closed. If it was too loud open I could always put the 3/4 or 1/2 plate in.. Don't be a tool ! Maybe I should have just punched the cats and muffler..That would have been free.. And I am happy with my $700 purchase!
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:44 AM
On The Tree

You made a great choice, and it you like it that's all that matters. I do like to hear everyone's opinions, but the dude who keeps commenting on your "$800 cutout" obviously is jealous or just a plain negative individual. Don't even give it a second thought. I have the same borla catback with LT's and catted Y. I run the smallest diameter hole and the car sounds very muscular. I occaissionally change out the plates when I want to be obnoxious or quiet. My car screams at WOT. Enjoy.
Old 08-26-2008 | 10:07 PM
On The Tree

I love my Borla as well, currently running the 3/4 plate soon to go full open for a while. love my Borla
Old 08-26-2008 | 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

that's all that matters
I got mine about 6 years ago when it was $580 . Yes I like it. People tell me all the time the car sounds awesome. Nothing fills the bumper cutouts on a Trans Am than the Borla tips.
Old 08-26-2008 | 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

I must admit I never paid over $650 for mine but that was about 8 years ago.
Old 08-27-2008 | 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I got mine about 6 years ago when it was $580 . Yes I like it. People tell me all the time the car sounds awesome. Nothing fills the bumper cutouts on a Trans Am than the Borla tips.
Corsa and Magnaflow do and look nice.
Old 08-27-2008 | 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irocem99
I don't want a cut out that ends in the middle of the exhaust. I don't just have sexier tips. Its 3" and its stainless. It was $700 .. Why do you give a ****? You didn't pay for it. And its not the same as running a cutout. Some of us actually make good money and don't need to cut corners. I'm not racing the car,I just wanted better sound. A cut out is either open or closed. If it was too loud open I could always put the 3/4 or 1/2 plate in.. Don't be a tool ! Maybe I should have just punched the cats and muffler..That would have been free.. And I am happy with my $700 purchase!
Old 08-27-2008 | 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

oops...i forgot...never post an opinion that deviates from the norm.

sorry

i've heard the borla, open, partial and closed. they all sound reasonable.

but if i had the money to spend...i'd get true duals....

better flow, cheaper and sound better. if done right you don't even sacrifice clearance.

but like i said, and other said.....as long as your happy! seriously.
Old 08-27-2008 | 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

oops...i forgot...never post an opinion that deviates from the norm.

sorry

i've heard the borla, open, partial and closed. they all sound reasonable.

but if i had the money to spend...i'd get true duals....

better flow, cheaper and sound better. if done right you don't even sacrifice clearance.

but like i said, and other said.....as long as your happy! seriously.
Custom true duals done "right" as you say will not be cheaper.
Old 08-27-2008 | 05:09 PM
Tech Resident

Borla makes great quality stuff. They're great performers, too, and the cutout feature is cool.

However, I think it's possibly the worst sounding catback for the F-body. I hate the way it sounds It might be tolerable with the cutout open as I run my cutout open with LT's all the time and it doesn't bother me at all, but IMO the conjunction of my Corsa and the cutout helps the sound a lot.

But it doesn't matter what I think. It's about what you think. Love or hate the sound, no one can argue the quality of the catback. It's top notch quality.
Old 08-27-2008 | 05:13 PM
Tech Resident

Custom true duals done "right" as you say will not be cheaper.
Absolutely. I've seen plenty of ~$500 TD systems. They all have one thing in common - they look terrible. Cheap, mild steel, crush bends, terrible ground clearance, awkwardly angled pipe and strange welds...the handful of nice TD setups I've seen cost well over $1,000. I eventually want to get TD's, and when I do, I'll probably go up to Mufflex in Trenton, NJ. Sure, it'll probably cost me AT LEAST $1,000...maybe $1,500 if I want stainless...but you can bet your *** it'll have perfect clearance, perfect welds, mandrel bends and no rattling.
Old 08-27-2008 | 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

i guess it depends on what you consider "done right" for TDs.

i put mine together in my driveway on my back. and except for having the driver side rear section angled a bit low...they look and fit GREAT.

and the only reason that side is off is because i was in the middle of the fabrication when hurricane Wilma (05) was 3 days from hitting my island (i'm in the florida keys).

so i had it welded up prematurely....would be about a 30 min fix on a lift with a welder and grinder.

the parts cost me about $300....$120 for the universal Xpipe, $70 for each magnaflow muffler and less than $50 for the flanges and hangers. then i think i paid $50 to have it welded...since all they had to do was weld...it was all fabbed up.

ground clearance is pretty good, lowest part is the 4" thick mufflers....bullets would tuck up better but i wanted the quieter sound.

i've priced out the parts to run an over-the-axle duals setup. i'd get the two 2.5" intermediate pipes, and over the axle pipes from dynomax (summit sells them for the v6 fbody...only pipes). cut the merge off my Flowtech ORP (what i had before TDS), and fab up a magnaflow 2.5" Xpipe then connect to the two dynomax pipes side by side over the axle.
then you just have to route the rear section for a couple magnaflow mufflers and some tips.
Old 08-27-2008 | 06:00 PM
Tech Resident

First off, most people don't have the tools or know-how to make TD's in their driveway.

Second, that $500 setup isn't stainless. Borla is stainless steel, so you're comparing an exhaust setup that will rust and rot away in 5-10 years (depending on location) vs. an exhaust that'll last decades with no maintenance.

Third, I'd be interested to see some pics Although I'd never put Magnaflows on a TD setup. Single chamber Flowmasters or bust.

And I'm speaking of over-the-axle setups, not dumps. I wouldn't want to run dumped TD's. Not to mention they're illegal and won't pass visual inspection.
Old 08-27-2008 | 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I ain't gonna lie, I paid $1000 for my borla system with install, but I could not be happier with the way it sounds! I run the full open plate and even with stock manifolds, it sounds great at WOT.
My bro has an SS with Borla and also SLP LT's with ORY. I think his car sounds absolutely sick with the 3/4th plate in. Can't wait to get my LT's.
To the OP, great choice!